Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Embarrassingly clueless to working out!

I would start off slow walking... Do some laps around your house, then do more laps etc. keep increasing until you feel comfortable walking outside or on a treadmill. Then start increasing your speed slowly and increase how long you walk. Take in slow and steady and before you know it you will be walking or jogging miles!!! Also, after a month or two start adding some strength training so that you can keep your muscles firm and counter act some of the sagging skin! That's what my surgeon recommended and it worked for the most part. Good luck!!

I'm very much intimidated by gyms and l the fit folks who seem to know a heck of a lot more about what's going on than I do. I made a friend who went with me and we stuck to a buddy system. I feel incredibly awkward and having her go with me helped. I still feel awkward and like the world would be standing there like wth is she doing when I run outside. Idk maybe it's something we will get past

I'm very much intimidated by gyms and l the fit folks who seem to know a heck of a lot more about what's going on than I do. I made a friend who went with me and we stuck to a buddy system. I feel incredibly awkward and having her go with me helped. I still feel awkward and like the world would be standing there like wth is she doing when I run outside. Idk maybe it's something we will get past

Many first time gym goers understandably feel this way. It can be somewhat intimidating.....at least from their perspective. As a "gym rat", I'll be the typical one there just sticking to my workout, focused on it and not giving a second thought about anyone else in the gym. Not to be rude, as in not caring or considerate of others, but I'm just not interested in why someone else is there or what specifically they are doing or how they are doing it. I think most people there are similar to me.....their time is limited, they have a goal they want reached and in order to reach it, they can't concern themselves with what others are doing at the gym. There may be very few that differ from this and if so, they are usually more there to socialize than to exercise and apparently have all kinds of time on their hands to do so. Regardless, I don't think newbies have anything to worry about as far as what others at the gym may be thinking. And if someone would happen to be there watching your every move, judging and analyzing you, trust me, they have a lot bigger problems than someone new at the gym. Remember, you are there for YOU......not them. So I would not give a rip about what someone else may or may not be thinking. Those fit people there that you mentioned had to start somewhere as far as learning about the gym and if were them, I would actually be really happy for someone taking the reigns in regards to their fitness and would try to be the first to lend a hand in helping them learn. My advice......just stick with going to the gym, stay focused on what you want to accomplish and before you know it, you'll be one of those that knows what they are doing and perhaps will be in the position one day to help a newbie yourself. :) Good luck and I wish you the best!

There are some less intimidating and, hence, more intimate gyms out there like anytime fitness where they limit memberships and members tend to be very down to earth. Just like you and me. These types of places sometimes work out a lot better for the average person who feels a little (or a lot) of intimidation at the standard franchises like LA fitness, 24 hour and Golds. Personally, I have done both in the past and found the big boxes a little sterile and it looked like there were a lot of hard bodies barely doing anything. Not very motivating. Now I work out at home, but did spend the last year in a more intimate gym environment (cross fit) where " everyone knew your name "( cue cheers theme). I guess you need to find out what works best for you and not be afraid to stick to your values when making a decision on it.

No need to feel embarrassed.

Not sure of your planned exercise goals - stuff for free around the house or gym membership.

Free - start off walking and walking a lot. Look into the couch to 5k to get your body slowly used to running. I'm not much of a runner and actually hate running still.

Pinterest has tons of exercise plans/suggestions for home or the gym.

Gym - I tend to enjoy lifting weights more than cardio. Crazy to me to think that way. Lol. I usually will use a lower weight with lots of repetitions to try to get leaner muscle tone.

Either way just getting out and moving is the essential key at this point.

I would start with a few exercise dvd that you can do at home. Then as you increase your endurance you will be able to go to the gym and start taking those small classes and see that you are able to do the class. Exercise is just like walking first you have to take the first step! You can do it!!

Just dance :)