Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bld sugar up at 3 mos post op

I was sleeved on Oct 22, 2013 at 238 lbs and 37 BMI. I have been type 2 diabetic for at least 16 yrs and was on short and long lasting insulin (100 lantus and Novalog depending on what I ate) as well as metformin, Invocana, and meds for hypertension and hyperlipemia. My sugars went down very well, and I was only on 1 met. Pill and 10 units of lantus at month 2. However, during month 3 my sugars have gone up anywhere from 50 to 100 points, even while I'm eating only about 60 carbs a day. Ive had to raise the metformin to 3 pills and lantus to 30 units, and i expect my endocrinologist will raise it more tomorrow. I am unable to understand this. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I'm very discouraged since the diabetes is the only reason I had the VSG.

I'm sure this must be very discourging for you. Unfortunately, I don't have any reasoning for you as to why that is happening. I just wanted to let you know that you have support here and I can see how that would be frustrating. Hang in there and don't give in!!! Update us as to what your endo has to say, I'd be interested to hear his/her thoughts on possible reasoning. Best of luck to you!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. My endo said he couldn't say why this has happened. I just knew that would be the case! Interestingly enough, though, this morning my sugar was 93, which is very normal and the lowest I've seen it since surgery. I ate one piece of 0 carb cheese, and 30 mins later the number was up to 128, which makes no sense. The doc pit me back on a med from the past, so we'll see what that does.

Good luck to you. Unfortunately, not all Type II are resolved with weight loss, although it certainly helps a lot. My husband is Type II and skinny.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• buildabetteranna

I have my final approval from my insurance, only thing holding up things is one last x-ray needed, which I have scheduled for the fourth of next month, which is my birthday.

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BetterLeah

Woohoo! I have 7 more days till surgery, So far I am already down a total of 20lbs since I started this journey. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Well done! I'm 9 days away from surgery! Keep us updated!

• Ladiva04

Hello,
      I had my surgery on the 25th of June of this year. Starting off at 117 kilos.😒
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Congrats on the surgery!

• Sandra Austin Tx

I’m 6 days post op as of today. I had the gastric bypass 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • RacMag  »  bhogue925

Hi, I’m new here. I’m currently on the liver shrinking diet. So far so good, but I have to say I haven’t found a protein shake I like. Anyone have any suggestions please? My surgery date is September 17th. 
      · 2 replies
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife Core are by far the best. They taste just as they are - chocolate milk. You can either get the 26 grams or the 42 grams (harder to find and more expensive). For straight protein look at Bulksuppliments.com ..they have really good whey proteins and offer auto ship plus they test for purity. No taste or smell...

2. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife has strawberry, vanilla and of course chocolate. No more calories than other protein drinks. Stay away from Premiere, they're dealing with lawsuits due to not being honest about protein content.

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches