Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor said not to worry about only losing 10lbs at first post op visit

Hello to all. I just was sleeved on Feb 4th.. I saw my Surgeon on Feb 21st. I was sad only to have lost 10lbs... My Surgeon said it was not anything to worry about because he said i was still swollen and having Water... I hope he is right. Did anyone else have this problem... and how did you fair after that? thanks JewelJ

Personally, I was sleeved in MX so I didn't ahve any post op follow up. I had surgery and flew back home less than a week later. My loss was really slow at first, then accelerated, then stopped, then slow, then stopped....I'm just getting off another plateau now. I'm 15 and a half months out, and I think this final 40 lbs is kicking my a**, but I know that slow and steady will win the race. It's easy to get discouraged and to look at the tickers of other who had surgery the same time as you and wish you had their results already, but the most honest and best advice I can give is: Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Compare yourself to you. When was the last time you lost 10 lbs before surgery, how long did it take? Did it take longer and was it more difficult than the current 10 lbs you're lamenting over? The answers are probably yes and yes. Another thing to remember about your loss now, is that, you're not losing weight, you're GETTING RID of it!! That is 10 lbs you will probably never ever ever EVER see again!! How great is that!?! One day at a time, if you do the right things, Protein first, exercise, you WILL see results, you WILL lose the weight, and you WILL look hot and feel great!! Welcome to the losers bench!!

Mix a scale and a tape measure. Most of the time if your not losing pounds you are still losing inches. This is as long as you are following the recommended diet.

Ten pounds in 17 days sounds pretty darn good to me. We all get in a hurry to reach our goal, but our bodies have a way of pacing us own their own. You can expect to have stop and go with your weight loss from here on it. Just follow doctors orders and take good care of yourself.

I don't think we even have the luxury of cheat days now. We all did this to save our lives. You have made the biggest step by following through with the surgery. Good luck with your recovery. You will be flushing out your closet before you know it.

Now that's a good doctor! I am thinking he knows his stuff. You are in good hands. After hearing silly things said by docs and nurses here it is nice to hear something right. Uh...not that I always know what is right.....ego ran away with me there..:D