Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here, with a few questions!

Hi everyone! I'm new to the boards and I have a few questions about Gastric Sleeve. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot, maybe I should post in the POST op because the questions are really for people who have already had the procedure. But, since I'm PRE op I decided to stick to this board for now.

Let me give you a quick little back story about myself first! My name is Morgan, I'm 26 and live in Texas. I'm married and my husband and I have a 5 year old, he's the light of our life and the main reason I want this surgery.

I've been overweight for as long as I can remember, it is something that I have battled with EVERY day. I've tried every diet known to man, lost a little, but gained it back and sometimes more. Obesity runs in my family, along with the issues obesity brings. High blood pressure, hear disease, diabetes, you name it. My grandmother was overweight and passed away from heart disease in '09. My mom has also always been overweight. My mom for the Gastric Sleeve done and has had much success...she has lost almost 80 lbs in 6 months. Since then, a number of her health issues have disappeared including her high blood pressure and sleep apnea. Her best friend, and her best friends daughter, both got sleeved as well. So I have an awesome support group! I have asked them tons of question but I want to hear from a large group of people because I know everyone is different.

As I said before, my main reason for wanting this surgery is my son. We always take my son and his cousin places, and we go on vacation every year. I try to keep my son active in T-Ball and things like that. It hasn't been easy doing all of these things and being over weight. I want to be able to really enjoy myself when we go on vacations. It's not fun walking around a theme park in 100 degree weather and 150 lbs over weight. Mainly, I want to be HEALTHY. I want to look forward to summer vacations and shopping for clothes, things like that. Right now I dread them because I know I will be miserable.

Being overweight has also given me fertilty issues. I'm hoping after losing weight I will gain some fertility back and we can try for #2 when it's safe to do so.

My stats: 5'7" 295 lbs. I will be cash pay, so I'm 100% dedicated to this and to changing my life for the better.

My concerns:

I LOVE to drink, I drink a lot especially while I'm eating. I almost feel as if I need to swallow liquid after each bite and I know I can't do that after surgery. I know that part is going to be one of the hardest things for me.

I know after surgery it takes little food to fill your new stomach up, but will I ever truely feel full again? I know my new stomach with fill up quick, but will I ever truely feel content with such little food? I guess what I'm trying to say is head hunger is one of my fears, and never feeling truely satisfied after a meal.

Another thing I'm worried about it loose and hanging skin on my arms and belly. Has anyone's Dr given them any tips on that to help prevent that? The lady who cuts my hair was sleeved and her Dr told her that running in Water up to your neck will prevent loose skin, but I will be nowhere near comfortable getting in a pool for awhile lol!

How long before I can swallow pills? I know my mom had to crush hers up for awhile and really struggled getting down all of her vitamins/supplements.

Another concern of mine, we live in a 2 story and the bedrooms are upstairs. After I get home from the hospital will I be able to get up the stairs to bed?

That's all for now, I'm sure I'll think of more things though! :) TIA for any responses!!

Get the surgery! Swallowing pills the next day. Hanging skin can be delt with at a later date. I also drank coffee and soda with every meal...I am happy I had to miss it .....cuz the way I am feeling now is way bigger and better then wanting to drink with my meals! Do yourself and your son a big favor get the surgery and live a longer, healthier, happier, more comfortable life.

Ok...let's see what I can do here...first and formost you have to do this for YOU. The benefits are 10 fold!

I still take a sip, occasionally, when I eat...but for the most part, I'm okay with waiting... you should find (like most of us did) that it's not that bad, once you get used to it. Eliminating carbonated beverages from my life is probably one of the healthiest things I did as well. My husband has lost weight as well, and basically he just stopped drinking that junk. I never was big into alcohol, so that was no biggie for me...a bunch of wasted calories and carbs... and I'm past the age were I want to be "wasted" in any way! LOL

YES you feel full and satisfied! Truly you do... Head hunger is when you think you are hunger but really aren't, and with any change in your "diet", you have to work thru it... I found a hot beverage helps at times like that, since you have to take slow sips to get thru it...but it's not a horrible thing... I still have days where that happens...but I know what NOT to eat and I follow the program

Loose skin depends on a lot of things, your age, your body, etc... mine isn't all that "loose", but I would like it tighter...exercise of ANY kind helps...water is best for your body as it is very very low impact and very easy on your joints...who cares what others think...go to a Water aerobics class...and they can watch the "incredible shrinking woman"!

The pills depend on the kind you take as well....I had to grind mine down for a short time...a small price to pay for the long term results.

And stairs...well...it's surgery...so in the beginning they will not be your friend, and you may end up camping out on the couch or recliner for a few days... but the stairs will, eventually, be a very good thing... you can walk up and down them every day for a few minutes to get your cardio in...

All in all...I am not one iota sorry I am taking this journey...it's the best thing I ever did for ME!

Thank you so much for the responses! I'm nervous, but looking forward to this amazing life changing journey! I keep reminding myself if I can push an 8 lb baby out, then I can get through this surgery as well LOL!

I met some amazing friends on message boards when I was trying to conceive my son, so I'm hoping to do the same on here!

I'm still in the very early stages of this process. I go to the seminar this coming Tue the 25th, then the Dr. appt, he makes you see a nutritionist, a psychologist, and take a 4 hour education class. After that I will finally be able to set up a surgery date!

Edited by MorganO87