Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

even before my gastrc bypass, I used to use a 1 percent cream for a sometime rash under my stomach.. I have now lost 51 lbs. and it seems to be getting much worse. I went to my nurse practictioner at where I had my bypass and she gave me a medicated powder. I said I would run out and get it. I asked her ( I had never used a powder before),if this doesn't work, what is next? this was said in the nicest of ways. she said take it up with your dermatologist.

well, I used it for about 3 days as instructed. I now have such a flaming red rash I can barely walk. today I showered the powder all off and went back to my cream. anyone have or had this problem before? and what.....oh what did you do?

Is it like chaffing or like boils?

no boils...just flaming red and sore as heck. my skin feels like crepe paper....so tender.

Whichever it is it is extremely important to keep the are clean and dry! Use mild and gentle soaps like dove in the shower and when you get out make sure you dry between the folds of skin very very well. Also wear cotton panties and maybe get a ssize larger so you can tuck them under your belly so you don't have all the skin on skin contact. If you get boils in addition to the chaffing or rash there are topical antibiotic lotions like clindamycin, special soaps, as sulfur based antibiotics that can be taken orally. I've lost 42 lbs and had a bad flare up with chaffing and just being inflamed and red and sore last week an I used hydrocortisone and slept with no underwear on in like this spread eagle position I kid you not it was the only relief I could get!! But I think the most important is using mild soaps and keeping the area clean and dry! And cotton panties! Tuck those suckers.

thank you for the help Kristina. I am doing the no panties, spread eagle thing today. no improvement so far. I had to cancel today's plans and it seems I will have to cancel tommorow's as well. this is imobilizing me. just sitting here on the computer is skin against skin......I am going nuts!

My rash was not related to the surgery and was actually several years before my surgery but the powder that they gave me also made it MUCH worse! WHen I told them, they said to stop using it and had me use a cortisone cream. I think it's the same cream/ointment for jock itch! lol.

A really good person to ask is a pharmacist. THe one at my CVS is really great. They have a consultation window you can walk up to.

best of luck--that sounds miserable.

It could be a yeast infection. I haven't had surgery yet, but I occasionally get them under my belly. I use lotrisone cream on them and try to keep the area as dry as possible. It's usually better in a week or so. I would try that. You should document this because your insurance might pay to have the excess skin removed. :-)

good morning everyone! it was so bad last night that I went to the e.r. the dr. said it did look awful! showed her the powder and the cream. she said to stay with the antifungal cream. since I only used the cream for one day...she said it takes time to work. keep using the cream and keep it dry. dr. also told me to go to the pharmacy....and there is something with vinegar and teabags that will dry it out. not sure of the name.....will get that later......don't want to wake up my hubby right now....trying to be quiet.....shhh....lol dr. also said I could try gauze between the folds. thank all of you that replied. I knew I could come here and ask.. :)

good morning everyone! it was so bad last night that I went to the e.r. the dr. said it did look awful! showed her the powder and the cream. she said to stay with the antifungal cream. since I only used the cream for one day...she said it takes time to work. keep using the cream and keep it dry. dr. also told me to go to the pharmacy....and there is something with vinegar and teabags that will dry it out. not sure of the name.....will get that later......don't want to wake up my hubby right now....trying to be quiet.....shhh....lol dr. also said I could try gauze between the folds. thank all of you that replied. I knew I could come here and ask.. :)

Just a small tip - after your shower blow dry the area to get it really dry (use the cool setting - heat might aggravate it). When you're home continue to do this off and on throughout the day to keep it dry. Keeping the area as dry as possible is key. Maybe this will speed the healing.

the name of the stuff from the pharmacy is domeboro. it is supposed to dry out the rash. just in case someone else has the same problem. I have't tried it yet. tomorrow am.

Thanks for the info!