Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Catheter for surgery?

I am getting my sleeve done in two weeks, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they put a urinary catheter in you for the surgery and for some time post op?

the surgery itself is relatively a short procedure... about an hour. My surgeon does not insert foley. HOWEVER.... I required one after b/c a side effect of anesthesia is urinary retention. I had it and I knew I was retaining and I asked to be catheterized. They removed it the next day. I had urinary hesitancy for several days after but it finally resolved.... I hope.

I had a urinary catheter when I woke up from surgery. It was removed the day after surgery. No issues here.

Hi! My Dr. had a catheter put in during surgery, and it was removed the following day. They wanted to make sure I was alert and able to make it to the bathroom on my own. It didn't hurt coming out (I was knocked out when they put it in haha).

I had a cath. I had a hard recovery so it was really a life saver for me because I wasn't able to get up until the day after. The cath itself wasn't a problem at all. I was so scared it would hurt coming out, but not at all. Just a little pressure. No big deal at all.

Hi I also had a catheter put in during surgery and removed the following afternoon. No problems with it. Good luck.

I am getting my sleeve done in two weeks, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they put a urinary catheter in you for the surgery and for some time post op?

As others have stated, I had a catheter put in during surgery, and it was taken out the next day. No problems or pain from having it in.

No catheter here.

No catheter for me.

Really shocked at how many ppl were cath'ed. Current medical trend is not to. Just increases risk of infection (UTI) and insurances will not cover hospital acquired UTI's anymore. Anyway.. cath or no cath... I don't think you should worry. It isn't pleasant to have one but it certainly is not unbearable. In fact, I asked to be cathed day after surgery. I knew I had urinary retention and the fact my bladder was so distended was causing me to have more stomach pain. I told the nurse what I suspected and he grabbed the bladder scanner and sure enough I have 850cc's of urine in my bladder. He called and got an order to insert a catheter and I was feeling great after. They took it out the next day before I was discharged.