Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm researching lap band surgery. I have at least 70 lbs to lose and have tried everything. What worries me is the psychological "need" or urge to eat even when not hungry. I guess it is the habit of eating rather than eating for fuel that I'm worried I'll still do and defeat the purpose of the surgery. Any thoughts on how to combat this?

the lap band is adjustable. for a bit after surgery perhaps up to a year you will be going into your doctor's for fills to your band. eventually the goal is that our little pouch which holds about 4 ounces of food will send that signal to your brain that you are full. and than for the next 4-5 hours after eating that you are satisfied by that meal. the band sounds like the tool your eating disorder is asking for. I know that I for one would have eaten around the other wls's. but the band keeps me honest. but please research all your options. go to the seminars. good luck on your new journey.

They will tell you right off the bat at the first seminar you attend that weight loss surgery like the LapBand is just a tool. It requires an entire lifestyle change for it to work to its full potential. The LapBand won't make good food choices for you. It will help with hunger and Portion Control, but it won't stop everything from getting through that you shouldn't be eating. If you are committed to making the change, the LapBand will definitely help you achieve that, but the psychological side of eating will take some work. I think with the right support, anyone who is really set on changing can totally accomplish what they set out to do :)

Yeah, that is a problem and some people fail just for this reason.

For most of us, the band dims our appetite to the point we don't seek out these distractions. Somehow most of us find this new willpower and urge to eat healthy foods for the first time in our lives.

But, there are no guarantees with the band or any of the surgeries. You can eat around all of them and stay or get even fatter.

The upside? With a diet, you've got a 100% chance of failing. With the band, you've got an 85% chance of succeeding. Check all the techniques out before you make an informed decision?

tmf

you will learn to eat to live and not living to eat......

there is way more to life then eating BBQ and 4th and 5th helpings of food....once you find that you find living again better than eating and feeling sorry for oneself, watch out.......

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

While my physical hunger has almost totally vanished, my "head hunger" rages at times. In fact, last night, totally caught up in a book I was reading, I reached over to the can of almonds sitting by my chair, grabbed a few and chewed away. I wasn't hungry. I didn't need those almonds. So....you have to find the things that trigger you and figure out why you eat even when you aren't hungry. Then...eliminate the temptations. That can of almonds is no longer by my chair. It's in the kitchen pantry. I don't keep Snacks in my desk at work any more, because I would stress eat if given half the chance. My band and I are shaping up to be quite the team, but I have to help it out. It's not the only player in the game. So, my advice...do some soul searching. Figure out why you eat when not hungry. Educate yourself on the role food plays in fueling your body. Then, make small changes, one at a time. Eventually, it becomes a lifestyle...and you won't miss the things you have left behind. Good luck on your journey!

the lap band is adjustable. for a bit after surgery perhaps up to a year you will be going into your doctor's for fills to your band. eventually the goal is that our little pouch which holds about 4 ounces of food will send that signal to your brain that you are full. and than for the next 4-5 hours after eating that you are satisfied by that meal. the band sounds like the tool your eating disorder is asking for. I know that I for one would have eaten around the other wls's. but the band keeps me honest. but please research all your options. go to the seminars. good luck on your new journey.

My understanding is that food does not sit in the pouch. It passes thru as you slowly eat and that stimulates the nerve and helps us feel satisfied and eat less. Food sitting above the band can cause dilation. I know I've read on this forum about studies that were done that show the food passes thru.

While my physical hunger has almost totally vanished, my "head hunger" rages at times. In fact, last night, totally caught up in a book I was reading, I reached over to the can of almonds sitting by my chair, grabbed a few and chewed away. I wasn't hungry. I didn't need those almonds. So....you have to find the things that trigger you and figure out why you eat even when you aren't hungry. Then...eliminate the temptations. That can of almonds is no longer by my chair. It's in the kitchen pantry. I don't keep Snacks in my desk at work any more, because I would stress eat if given half the chance. My band and I are shaping up to be quite the team, but I have to help it out. It's not the only player in the game. So, my advice...do some soul searching. Figure out why you eat when not hungry. Educate yourself on the role food plays in fueling your body. Then, make small changes, one at a time. Eventually, it becomes a lifestyle...and you won't miss the things you have left behind. Good luck on your journey!

So agree with you on this one...the band and plication has really helped control my hunger/appetite and even my many cravings seems to have dimmed. However, I, unfortunately at times, find myself eating,...no im not hungry...no im not bored....but i just want it....and it is an old ugly happy of mine that I must recognize when it creeps in and fight it and i WILL conquer it!! I am only 5 months out of surgery and believe there is hope for this. I know what I am doing and just need to change it...but it does happen.

The band is not a magic wand and i know it will not make old habits just vanish! But I am in a better place than I have been in decades and so because of that I am willing to notice when the habit creeps it and fight it to the end!...and I know that I WILL WIN!

Edited by chasingadream

The lapband and plication is your stomach surgery not your brain. Unfortunately, if you are looking for the magic bullet to make you skinny and not "want" sweets or carbs..the band is not it. Nothing is...This is a joint decision between you, your brain and your stomach. It is not easy and anyone who says it is has never been down this road. Yep, you will fall off the wagon, but you get back on, you go for a walk, you forgive yourself and move on. I have had my band 2 years and I have stopped counting how many times I have restarted..but it has been worth it. I am glad I did this and would do it again in a minute. Good luck with your journey and whatever you decide to do. Melinda in Florida

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice.