Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First post -- am I making the right decision?

I was a great yoyo dieter. I have lost with the best of them. a few years ago my weight started to go up and up. I went on nutra system. I didn't lose wt. nor did my blood sugar go down. I had to go on insulin. but my bs remain in the high 250's. so after 6 mos. I went on the south beach diet . same result as nutra system except my blood sugar did come down a bit. I was up to 200 plus long acting insulin and up to 60 short acting. I was becoming insulin resistant. I than tried weight watchers. I followed the plan to the tee. my wt was just going up and up. I was almost to the 300 lb. mark. 296 to be exact. I was dumbfounded as to why I couldn't lose wt. my primary care doctor knew what I was going through and he recommended wls. I have a slew of medical problems each with their own specialtists and everyone of those doctors were all on board for the surgery. I know now why I wasn't losing wt. my portions were way to big for me. I was eating healthy by anyones standard but the band taught me that I was eating to much. almost immediately my bs went down. even before any fills. I was eating the amount of food we are supposed to be eating. I now take 30units of insulin at night. no short acting since surgery. I will be moving from insulin to oral on my next visit to pcp. he said the oral controls my liver a bit more. it produces blood sugars on its own. my blood sugars are 94-124 every day. and I lose, slowly but at least it's a loss. my inches are what is going down n down. this last week I lost 7 inches from all over my body. that's 17 inches since 1/13. so the answer to your question for me anyways is healthy eating isn't the only thing you need to do to lose wt. amount is. illness prevented me from dieting on my own and losing. I never would have learned this without the band. never in my life did I think I could live on a 1/2 cup of food 3 times a day. so that is why I had wls. and why regular dieting didn't help me. I don't think I could have eaten such small portions without the band

I'm not trying to be simplistic with this question, but to all of you -- what is the advantage of having any WLS in the first place?

I hear of people saying, "Well, you have to diet and exercise, that is still on you. The band isn't going to do all the work."

No offense, but if that worked in the first place, why the surgery? This is a question I'm still struggling to understand.

As Tom mentioned above....I NEED/NEEDED the band to provide/dictate Portion Control. I ate too much! I could diet for the short term like most anyone else...then right back to eating two or three times the adequate amount. Sure I exercise to help with the overall fitness level, but the band limits how much I eat at any one time....and I want it to do that. Not everyone experiences this and thats ok...whatever works for them.

I've been banded for about 4 1/2 years now and regularly attend support group meetings and even some PRE-op seminars. Some people will say all WLS are the same, but I disagree....from what I've been through and hear often. When I go to these support group meetings and hear from people who are struggling to lose weight with the sleeve/RNY, and I ask them what their doctor recommends NOW, when they stop losing or maybe even start regaining weight....its ALWAYS the same thing. Diet and exercise. Thats it! Nothing else....

It always makes me glad I chose a surgery thats adjustable. I never was good at dieting, for the long term.

Best wishes! :)

I used to think surgery was a lazy person's alternative, but I no longer feel that way. After many ups and downs--the most recent struggle being Weight Watchers--I have carefully weighed the options and scheduled a date for Lap Band surgery.

I have explored the pros and cons, talked to people in person who have had the procedure done, and decided at this point in my life that I'm going to take the chance and have this done. No amount of hard core dieting and exercise on Weight Watchers would get my weight to budge permanently. I started Weight Watchers in early 2012 and after about 1.75 years, I had lost 30 lbs. Not bad, but not spectacular. I had one difficult semester recently where I ate a moderate amount of food (still turning down a lot of things), and didn't log my points as closely, and I gained it all back. I have been struggling with my weight, in some form or another, since I was 14, and I'm just tired now.

I have sleep apnea, I'm fatigued a lot, my cholesterol has been elevated for a while (high LDL's and triclycerides and low HDL's), and I have been hypothyroid (treated with medication) for several years. My BMI is about 38.8. Not to mention the fact that this extra weight just makes me feel horrible in my own skin--I have a suspicion that it's keeping me from getting a job, and I don't have that many more employable years to start a career, as I'm in my late 30's.

Insurance won't be paying for this, so I've secured an out of pocket loan for the procedure. I've booked it for April, because if it works like it's supposed to, at about 10 lbs per month, I should actually be able to wear some decent T shirts by summer and not still be hiding behind sweaters.

I've weighed the risks and the benefits. So can anyone give me advice or share their story? I hope I'm making the right decision.

only you can make the right decision for you...any WLS can work and any WLS can have complications and any WLS is not better than the other....it is a life change....you must eat better, exercise and do what one must do to make oneself well.....the only advice i can offer is whatever surgery you have, follow the dr's instructions on how to use it for best results...as with everything in life, results do and can vary for whatever reasons.........best of luck with your decision.

I'm not trying to be simplistic with this question, but to all of you -- what is the advantage of having any WLS in the first place? I hear of people saying, "Well, you have to diet and exercise, that is still on you. The band isn't going to do all the work." No offense, but if that worked in the first place, why the surgery? This is a question I'm still struggling to understand.

Yes I struggled with this thinking too. I've been a weight yo-yo for the longest time. I'd lose 30 and gain 40, then lose another 30 but gain back another 40. I was tired of the diet pills that made my heart race, made me bitchy and when I stopped the weight came back. I needed some sort of 'tool' that was permanent way of Portion Control. I needed a way to keep me from gorging on food.< /p>

I was at 202 day of surgery. My highest weight was 214. I'm 5' 4". Trust me, I definitely thought about the one more diet mantra. Just try ____ and I'll lose the weight. I'm not getting any younger and I needed something. My doc said my weight was affecting my fertility.

I'm 2 months out. I'm not that hungry and I don't snack that often. I next to never visit the vending machine at work. It's working for me and saving us a lot of money.

Plus with the band - 1 it's major surgery, so you're more likely to follow docs orders instead of cheating on your diet and 2 it's fully adjustable for what you need to do to lose weight.

Congratulations on choosing yourself and your healthy future. I was the same weight as you are now, 248, and I am at 214 this morning -- starting to dream of what we call Onederland, that far off land of not being in the two hundreds anymore. The thing about the band is it is designed to dim your appetite. I was such a good dieter, excellent at restricting for long periods of time, etc., but eventually I couldn't do it anymore and I'd gain it all back. It's an amazing thing to have the appetite monster off my back and to be out of food jail. I chose the band because it's less invasive and could be removed if ever necessary. I love my band and am loving myself all the more now that I am in control of my life and losing the weight I've been carrying for so long. Fire away with any questions -- that's what we are here for!

I have a similar situation as you. I did Weight Watchers (among other things) and failed. I am also self-pay. My surgery date is 3/3. Similar BMI. I chose LapBand because I have seen others get bypass and fail. I personally know 6 people that have the LapBand and they are very happy with it and highly recommend it. One of my friends who got bypass wishes she got the band because now she is anemic and her teeth had to be replaced and she gained a lot of weight back because she stretched it.

All WLS has risks. All WLS can fail because you continue to eat bad. From what I read, the great thing about LapBand is that it allows for resetting in the way it works with your body through the adjustments and fills. Sleeve and Bypass can't do that. Do the research and decide whats best for you. I am thankful for the support on this forum. Lots of people are here that were exactly where you are today. It's great that you are taking the first step of WLS research to change your life!

- K

I'm not trying to be simplistic with this question, but to all of you -- what is the advantage of having any WLS in the first place? I hear of people saying, "Well, you have to diet and exercise, that is still on you. The band isn't going to do all the work." No offense, but if that worked in the first place, why the surgery? This is a question I'm still struggling to understand.

Yes I struggled with this thinking too. I've been a weight yo-yo for the longest time. I'd lose 30 and gain 40, then lose another 30 but gain back another 40. I was tired of the diet pills that made my heart race, made me bitchy and when I stopped the weight came back. I needed some sort of 'tool' that was permanent way of Portion Control. I needed a way to keep me from gorging on food.

I was at 202 day of surgery. My highest weight was 214. I'm 5' 4". Trust me, I definitely thought about the one more diet mantra. Just try ____ and I'll lose the weight. I'm not getting any younger and I needed something. My doc said my weight was affecting my fertility.

I'm 2 months out. I'm not that hungry and I don't snack that often. I next to never visit the vending machine at work. It's working for me and saving us a lot of money.

Plus with the band - 1 it's major surgery, so you're more likely to follow docs orders instead of cheating on your diet and 2 it's fully adjustable for what you need to do to lose weight.

I understand where you are coming from. I might be in sort of a pickle with fertility myself. At around 250 lbs now, I have acne and weird new bumps everywhere, my voice has deepened, and I have occasional chin/chest hairs that I have to pick out. On the plus side, I'm ridiculously strong. My husband jokes that I'm more of a man than he is.

I had thought that I should just tough it out myself, try to lose weight, have another child before I get too old, and then consider WLS in the distant future. I came to the conclusion that I should just get WLS now because (1) I've tried to lose weight and can't seem to (2) the lap band doctor told me I probably couldn't conceive or have a healthy pregnancy at this weight anyway. That was a real wake up call. I had never considered that I might be infertile because of this.

I'm also thinking that the WLS might actually be a good return on investment because I think about eating out all the time. It's like 8 am right now, my stomach is growling, and I want more than anything just to go to Starbucks.

Edited by Skywalker

Welcome...and this whole process is alot to take in and digest...so many decisions to make...it is hard...before and after surgery.

Personally, I chose Lap-band (and my doctor offered plication in addition to this which is basically the added benefit of the sleeve without removing my stomach...it is folded in on itself and sewn to look like a banana). I had dieted (many WW) for over 30 years and finally a bell went off at 44 that it is never going to work. My own sister had gastric bypass and i watched her recovery, and her anemia, and her Iron transfusions and now 5 or so years later she is doing WW to get the last of the weight off and is struggling. For me, that helped my decision to look at the lap band.

It has been 5 months since my surgery and the weight has come off nicely so far....i am in sizes i haven't seen in decades. I feel better physically and emotionally about myself. Its not perfect though....I have not needed a fill as of yet, and am able to eat everything I want. Yes, my portions are controlled and I feel it in my chest if I try to eat too much at times, and im not hungry but old habits can and do creep back in. Before my band I was a constant food grazer...i never knew what real hunger felt like because i was ALWAYS eating. I am happy to say that food does not control me anymore but I am finding myself picking and eating things that I can ( a chocolate chip cookie or a brownie) but I'm eating more of it than i should...maybe testing to see how much my band can take. I am aware of those old habits coming back and am working like a dog to get them under control....i will not fail this time....this is a lifetime change.....one that takes work.....

Hope that helps in hearing someone else's story.

Make the best decision that works for YOU....follow YOUR heart and desire....wishing you much success.

Edited by chasingadream

Which ever decision u make, just know it also means eating Hot Foods, Cold and Cold Foods, Hot!

Ive reheated my egg white omelete twice so far. I hate throwing away food especially when it was bought for me but i think its going in the trash now.

Also Soups, i have to pour exactly 4ozs into a bowl if not, the rests will get reheated until its not good to eat anymore.

Even all my Ice creams melt on me..i maybe scooping portions that are too large tho. Old habits die hard!

W/Lapband, 10lbs a month is a reach. Especially if the intestines arent rerouted like with sleeve and gastric. They get the benefits of having the small pouch like us AND a portion of the intestines that absorb calories taken out.

But with alot of working out & dieting it cld very well be possible.

Which ever decision u make, just know it also means eating Hot Foods, Cold and Cold Foods, Hot!

Ive reheated my egg white omelete twice so far. I hate throwing away food especially when it was bought for me but i think its going in the trash now.

Also Soups, i have to pour exactly 4ozs into a bowl if not, the rests will get reheated until its not good to eat anymore.

Even all my Ice creams melt on me..i maybe scooping portions that are too large tho. Old habits die hard!

W/Lapband, 10lbs a month is a reach. Especially if the intestines arent rerouted like with sleeve and gastric. They get the benefits of having the small pouch like us AND a portion of the intestines that absorb calories taken out.

But with alot of working out & dieting it cld very well be possible.

I think it's partially society's problem that many of us are so obese (See the documentary Super Size Me). I guess awhile back fast food and restaurant establishments got the brilliant idea to give us more food and bigger portion sizes to make us happier. So now, when I go to a place like Cold Stone Creamery or Dairy Queen, even their "small" size is larger than most of us should be having. And surprisingly, even at my current weight of about 250 lbs, about half of the "small" ice cream is usually enough for me. The ideal portion size, I think, is more like a Wendy's "junior" cup. Those give us a decent taste of the dessert without making us gorge on it.

Edited by Skywalker

Lap band is not a cure all for our eating habits but it is a tool to help us with our Portion Control that we can not control on our own , and there are a few people on here that have the band with plication wish I would have known about the plication also , but I have lost about 88 lbs. since I started in July 2012 and I still struggle but with out the band I would still struggle up and not down I also would not be able to walk on my own , Yeah had to use a cane just to walk and for breathing I could hardly breath , now I am more active , with no assistance and I can breath also don't have sleep apnea any more , so ask you Doc. many questions do your research and like I said be click on some of our pics from 2012 , 2013 and notice we have made the decision to make our selves more healthy , the other benefit is we start to feel so much better about our selves , again , good luck in what surgery you choose.

Blissfully Banded: I battled my weight all my life, been to WW countless times and nothing ever worked as well as the band for me. 8.5 lbs a month and it slowing down. But it's all in my control. I need to step up the exercise. The first 50 lbs was easy.

I didn't want the sleeve for the same reasons as you, but I know many that are successful with it. The only thing I don't like is that I miss bread. I can't handle it after my last two fills. But I needed the fills because I was hungrier than I wanted to be. Make sure you get Protein in, my hair started to fall out. Best of luck!! I don't regret it for a minute. Almost to onederland!!!!

For me - choosing the lapband was the best choice. One of the main reasons I chose the lapband is that I wasn't cutting and re-arranging my insides. Don't get me wrong, I know there could be problems with all wls - including lapband. But, the lapband is reversable.

Just do your homework - I'm not saying anything bad whatsoever about any other surgery - because in the end we all want the same thing (to lose weight and feel & look better, to be healthier). Also, be careful with fills and just make sure that you choose a doctor wisely - a lot of problems with lapband users are because of aggressive fills and doctors that choose to be aggressive with the fills. There seems to be more issues with fills and being too tight than anything else relating to issues with the lapband.

I am having lap band surgery next week. After going to the orientation and listening to both procedure discussed, I was very doubtful about banding and thought sleeve may be better for me. Thank you all for your honest thoughts here, I feel that I will stick to the banding and am making a correct choice for me

at age 66 I chose the Lapband. I had done everything to lose weight for 25 years. I had hired personal trainers, worked out and did weight watchers, Jenny, Nutrisystem, metabolic , shots pills and every gimmick advertised on TV. Nothing worked. while working out I did gain some muscles but my weight stayed pretty much the same. After talking with a friend who had lapband and lost 115 lbs I knew I had to do it. My diabetes was getting out of control, cholesterol was high, blood pressure was high. I was tired of being fat and tired of not being able to do anything with my grandkids and clothes shopping was torture. Okay, I had my surgery last Jan. lost 60 lbs so far, feel like a new person. I have had no issues with the band. Is it easy? no you have to Want it. Not really what I consider a diet but your choices are easier to make due to the appetite or portion controlling feature of the band. I also attend a support group once a month. The majority of the group are band patients but there are some sleeve patients and a by pass patient. I am not sure if it's normal but the sleeve and by pass folks have a hard time with malabsorption and take a ton of Vitamins. I take B12, D and a Multivitamin. that is it. They also have a drained look and some complain of pain when they eat. I just wanted to have a less invasive procedure that would be reversible in case I needed to be able to eat (cancer etc. ). You must look at your future and decide what you believe would be the best course of action. We are here to help.