Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how to request time off from work?

Sorry if this comes off as a dumb qquestion..do I let my job know after I get approval and date for surgery? Should I tell my manager than HR ? Or HR than my manager. I plan on taking 2-3 wks FMLA. my old manager left. Our department new manager is starting on Monday. Plus I plan on keeping my surgery private. Did any of you guys that kept your surgery private asked your surgeons not to put bariatric surgery on your request time off from work? Please advice need.

I did not keep my surgery private. But regardless if you do or not.. your FMLA is considered private and only between HR and you, or the company that handles your FMLA.. At my work we have a company that is contracted to handle all of the FMLA.

It is a good idea to give your new manager a "Heads up" that you are having surgery soon, that way they can be ready if it is scheduled soon. But, it is not there entitlement or business to know what kind of surgery you are having. I did not have to tell my manager. In fact, she did not ask, I just offered the information. As long as it is medically necessary, it will not matter.

Sorry if this comes off as a dumb qquestion..do I let my job know after I get approval and date for surgery? Should I tell my manager than HR ? Or HR than my manager. I plan on taking 2-3 wks FMLA. my old manager left. Our department new manager is starting on Monday. Plus I plan on keeping my surgery private. Did any of you guys that kept your surgery private asked your surgeons not to put bariatric surgery on your request time off from work? Please advice need.

I waited until I had a date and the necessary paperwork completed, then I let my supervisor know I was going to be having surgery. Same with HR. On my paperwork my surgeon just wrote- elective surgery so no one knew what it was for. For the nosy Nellys at the office, I implied to one office gossip that I was having hernia surgery (I do have a hiatal hernia). The rest took care of itself.

Things everyone for the feed back. Also having hiatel hernia repair during surgery also. That's what I will tell the nosy nellys at work. I will find out if doctor can write elective surgery on my form also. Again thanks for the feed backs.

Unfortunately I don't qualify for medical leave because I haven't been with my company for a full year. Plus I could push for it with the support of my doctor, I choose not to because I have to use my personal and sick time first.

I'm soooooo not doing that I already have two vacations planned in the summer and fall. I'm taking a week off with no pay. I put aside some money from my tax return. After a week if I'm not ready to return to my management desk job I will consider working from home. Good luck!

Hello my name is Ellen

I just need a little help with this situation-

My company PTO actually does mean personal time off per our employee handbook - we can use PTO any way we want - do anything with our time if the time off has been approved.

My PTO has been approved from Thursday April 10-Tuesday April 22nd.

I am having surgery on Friday April the 11th in TJ coming back home on the 15th.

My doctor has completed my FMLA and my Return to work forms. That is great.... But I do not want to turn those in because when I do people at work will find out exactly what kind of surgery I am having and I have not told anyone at work what I am doing....I don't want anyone to know. I do work at a quasi government place but all of the "executives" talk about all of us and I know my info will get out...I just know it will....it always does.

Do I take the chance that going back to my desk job 12 days after my surgery and leave early if I need to (I can do that -it isn't a problem) or do I submit all the forms to HR and taking chances?

Please give me your advice....thank you all!