Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it's difficult but it would be better for your health in the long run if you quit smoking and didn't go back to it ever. This is of course, easier said than done. The journey to better health is paved with exercising self control, whether it be food, cigarettes, alcohol, etc.

Edited by BKLYNgal87

This would be like asking....."should I put 4 or 5 bullets in the gun to play Russian roulette.

Don't do it man!! ;)

HI Faisal,

It takes 6 weeks for the stomach to heal from the trauma of surgery and about 6 months for your new stomach to reach it's full operational function (new normal that will last forever).

At the very least please wait at least 6 weeks. My Dr. said most serious leaks actually happen between 3 and 6 weeks. When I asked him what can I do to help prevent a leak, he said in all honestly, they don't know why some people get leaks. You can make all kinds of speculations, but they have no evidence to support what exactly causes a leak. He believes that it is simply the result of a weakness in the staple line that doesn't heal properly in the earlier stages. This would further the argument to have the patience to wait until that 6 week period is up.

I won't lecture you as I have no doubt you are full aware of the negative effects of smoking. If you do decide to try to kick the habit, I highly recommend looking into chantix. My SO tried to quit so many times with no success I actually got mad the last few times because I had zero faith it was even possible and HATED going through the "quitting" period. Well... chantix was totally different. I actually still enjoyed being around Mo and am still shocked it has been 6 years and Mo still has no desire to smoke. I swear, it was like a miracle to me.

i wish you the best. My best friend had lapband and lost 140 pounds with it, maintaining it for the last year, but she replaced her food addiction with cigarettes. I still love her, but i have come to hate going anywhere with her or spending any extended time with her because she compulsively smokes. It is hard to be around if you don't smoke.

I wish you the best and hope my post does not come off as judgemental, because I have no judgement for your situation or desires. We are all weak and cope in our own ways. Life is hard, it's seems to me to be an obstacle course in learning how to cope with things. The better we cope, the happier we seem to be.

I wish you the best and applaud you for attempting to seek good information to inform your decisions.

This would be like asking....."should I put 4 or 5 bullets in the gun to play Russian roulette.

This was probably posted with good intention and well meaning, but in all honesty, couldn't people say that every time a fat person takes a bite of anything unhealthy. What's the difference?

This was probably posted with good intention and well meaning, but in all honesty, couldn't people say that every time a fat person takes a bite of anything unhealthy. What's the difference?

A bite of something didn't make me fat........And being fat for me is no difference.

If you have already quit, why start again? I get it. I'm a "chipper", I like to have one here and there. And I had to stop. I'm using nicorette but it's just not the same.

My program keeps telling me that smoking causes ulcers. And our sleeves are so small that an ulcer can make it impossible to eat, and then you end up hospitalized with an IV.