Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What a wonderful experience I have had. I had my sleeve yesterday (2-11-14) and have been pleasantly surprised with the whole surgical process. I used Dr. Broussard in Edmond, OK at Summit Medical Center. I live about 7 hours from there and the whole team has been great working with me on that, doing as much over the phone as possible. I am cash pay as my insurance did not cover, I also purchased the BLIS complication protection for a little peace of mind :) I am an open book if you have any questions on the cost/financing/etc.

Went in for surgery Tues AM, schedule was running behind that day, I got into preop around 10. Started my IV, got my meds going and then the surgeon, anesthesiologist, OR nurse, and respiratory all came in a different times explaining things to me and answered any questions. About 1130 I went back into the OR, got moved to surgical table, gave me the propofol to put me out, next thing I know I am in recovery giving them the thumbs up!

First couple hours back in my room I was still a little groggy and had some mild pain/nausea. At 2 hours, got up and walked the halls and that helped immensely. After that did not have any pain or nausea (knock on wood). Did not need any pain or nausea meds. I was so surprised, I just kept waiting for it to hurt or start puking. But never did.

First day was slow getting fluids in, noticed I would have a little burp after about every drink. Just kept walking and sipping. Was AMAZED I have not felt hungry or the desire to even eat. (Hope that sticks around!)

Day 2, fluids have been less challenging and has been much easier to get them down. Still no pain or nausea, praise the Lord!

Only annoying thing is that I have some sinus drainage that makes me burp even more, not big burps, just enough to be annoying.

Now...just ready to start working on some "after" pics!

Thank you for sharing your story. I am going in for surgery on 3/11/14. I sure hope my experience is just as good as yours.

I just keep wondering how to get all the Protein in that we need post surgery and Water. I heard it is not easy.

Good Luck to you.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope it continues to go well. : )

Thanks for sharing and I hope to read more about your experiences as they progress.

I still can hardly believe how great things are going. I stayed at a hotel for a few days post op bc I live about 8 hours from hospital. Came back home yesterday and was so happy to see my baby girl again! She is only 2 so she doesn't understand why I can't pick her up yet. I showed her my boo boos and she gave me a check up with her dr kit, made my day! My hunger has been nearly non existent. Toughest part was fixing her dinner and Snacks, used to I would eat along with her. I can drink Water without much restriction if I pace myself, but Protein Drinks and Protein Soups I feel very full at about 3 oz. still no pain or nausea. I have lost 10 lbs since surgery 6 days ago, I know that is not a realistic or sustainable rate, but for now I am loving it!

That is great! I also have a 2 year old! I've been worrying about taking care of her while trying to recover! My husband can help, but I'll be alone with her all day while he is at work! My parents won't be much help bc they don't agree with my choice to get sleeved.....

Please explain how you got financed! I'm not sure what/ or if my insurance will cover the surgery. I've heard many people use carecredit (but that carecredit doesn't give you enough credit to finance the entire procedure). I've also heard of people getting private loans from banks, but what bank will give you a $9,000 loan for "private" use?! I have decent credit (620), but I don't understand how medical financing works! My surgeon/hospital does not offer financing directly- patients must find their own lenders. Any advice?

I had a couple days restrictions with hubby working, so had to adapt a few things, I had a step stool that I set up and used it for her to climb in and out of crib, into booster at table, onto bathroom counter for tooth brushing, etc. worked really well and now she wants to use it all the time lol. I just changed diapers on the couch. And when she napped, if I couldn't nap I at least kicked up my feet. I made up meals for her and hubby pre surgery and got stuff he could easily cook so didn't have to worry about that. Did minimal house cleaning lol. Also got her a couple new movies to watch to help give us some time where I could rest when she was up and going full speed. They slowed her down a tiny bit!

financing, I really did just walk into my bank and ask for a loan! Had good enough credit for an unsecured loan (no collateral) and had the money deposited in my checking in under thirty minutes. That easy. Other options to finance are springstone, reliance, or a personal loan with collateral (if you own your car, camper, boat etc). I have heard of people using their 401k or taking a loan against their 401k. Some life insurance policies even let you loan against them. Where there's a will there's a way!! Good luck on your journey, let's just hope your insurance will cover!