Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone, I'm currently going through the process off having the sleeve and to be honest, I don't know what stage I'm at due to being messed around by my GP but my next appointment will be with the surgeons so I don't know how far along that is. This probably sounds crazy but what are the pre-op procedures, I've read about it but it just makes more sense coming from someone who's gone through it. Sorry If my story's confused anyone, it's starting to confuse me haha xx

post-174521-0-11998600-1392172325_thumb.jpg

Every surgeon is different here is what I had to do:

I requested appt with surgeon in October.... he was booked until Dec 5.

During that waiting period I completed the nutrition course (three classes one hour each over 3 weeks) in October

Had my psych eval in November.

Meet surgeon on Dec 5 and he sent me for pre op blood work.

They sent in my request for surgery day after they got blood work back to my insurance so around Dec 7th.

Insurance approved me Dec 17th.

Surgeon called and said "you are approved". Sent me for pre op testing at the hospital on January 13. Had EKG, Chest Xray and more blood work.

Had to attend a required exercise/post op class at my surgeons office January 15th

Had to see my PMD on January 27th for medical clearance.

Surgery Feb 3rd.

Discharged Feb 5th.

Follow up appt Feb 11th.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Belladonna723

Wow, so a year and a half roughly for you? That pretty impressive, did surgery go well? :) I'm not sure how mine would work as I got transferred from adolescence to adult but that helped a lot, thank you! xx

it really depends on your insurance and your surgeon's requirements. I think the above poster had her surgery with in 4 months from what I read. I have seen on here, some people's insurance have very minimal requirements and they have surgery very quickly. For me, my insurance (which seems fairly common) requires 6 months of supervised nutritional counseling. There are multiple other requirements as well. I started w/ a weight loss seminar on 7/5/13. From there I have had multiple meetings w/ my NUT (maybe 7-8) over a six month period. I also had to go to 5 support group sessions. I have had a sleep study, met w/ a neurologist, cardiologist, abdominal u/s, pre op lab work x 2, psych eval w/ one follow up appointment, two meetings w/ bariatric medical doctor, two meetings w/ my surgeon (third and final is tomorrow!) and ohhhh my I hope that is it. My surgery is scheduled for 3/4/14.

Wow, so a year and a half roughly for you? That pretty impressive, did surgery go well? :) I'm not sure how mine would work as I got transferred from adolescence to adult but that helped a lot, thank you! xx

A year and a half? Are you referring to my post? I meet with surgeon Dec 5 and my surgery was Feb 3. 8 weeks. But I had everything done.

it really depends on your insurance and your surgeon's requirements. I think the above poster had her surgery with in 4 months from what I read. I have seen on here, some people's insurance have very minimal requirements and they have surgery very quickly. For me, my insurance (which seems fairly common) requires 6 months of supervised nutritional counseling. There are multiple other requirements as well. I started w/ a weight loss seminar on 7/5/13. From there I have had multiple meetings w/ my NUT (maybe 7-8) over a six month period. I also had to go to 5 support group sessions. I have had a sleep study, met w/ a neurologist, cardiologist, abdominal u/s, pre op lab work x 2, psych eval w/ one follow up appointment, two meetings w/ bariatric medical doctor, two meetings w/ my surgeon (third and final is tomorrow!) and ohhhh my I hope that is it. My surgery is scheduled for 3/4/14.

Wow... Holy Crap! Where do you live? They used to have very strict guidelines here but they are not imposing that on ppl anymore. Insurances have figured out that this surgery in the long run will end up saving them money.

Hi,

My pre-op waiting period was 6 months. It's detailed on my signature line. At first I was upset with the wait time, but during that time I was able to really prepare myself for the surgery.

Hey sorry I edited my post.. I typed in September instead of January (WTH was I thinking... brain fog). Anyway my process took a total of 4 months... would have been shorter if the surgeon was not so booked up and he was transitioning hospitals. He started working out of another hospital January 1st of this year so it kind of held up things I think. Still and all it was painless and quick looking back. Waiting was torture though. I did enjoy eating while I was waiting :)

No supervised diet for me. Not required. If we could lose weight why would we sign up for being gutted? Makes no sense. They are moving away from this I think.

No supervised diet for me. Not required. If we could lose weight why would we sign up for being gutted? Makes no sense. They are moving away from this I think.

Not here in California.

Not here in California.

That totally sucks in my opinion. I had two friends that had bypass by the same surgeon who did my sleeve. They had it done >4 years ago... the one girl had it done over 10 years ago and they had to do much more than I did. I assumed it has gotten easier here. I am just happy I didn't have to go through all that. I can't spend another summer in the 200# club.