Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

leaving soon, need packing ideas

It's nearly time boys and girls,

I leave for Tijuana Monday the 20th. I'm having surgery Tuesday the 21st, staying til the 24th, then flying home. I'm dragging mi madre along, since kids are in school and can't afford tickets for 4.

I've read nearly every post here, and have gotten some good ideas, but could use a refresher if anyone is up to it.

What should I pack?

Thanks to all of your great advice, I've accumulated a few things already, but need a good packing list.

What are some things you wish you'd thought to take, or things you're glad you took?

For home I've bought propel, bottled waters, pudding, Jello, applesauce, Soups, and Protein Bars. I've bought chewable gasx, imodium, pepcid, and Vitamins. I bought shirts with shelf bras built in, an abdominal binder, and a heating pad...what's missing?

Did any of you do any shopping in Tijuana while there? I'm wondering if cash is safe, or if travelers checks are better or if vendors even take TC's there.

Hell will I even feel up to shopping on the 23rd if I have surgery the 21st?

Help! Now that it's time to start packing I'm lost!

BTW: I tried to find excedrin ready tabs at my local CVS, and they said they pulled them from the shelves. The clerk didn't know why...

Pack light! :D

My husband and son traveled with me, and we each had a small bag. It made it alot easier not having to check in luggage.

I only brought 3 sets of lose fitting shorts and shirts. I wore some slip on sandals on the trip and didn't bother bringing tennis shoes or any other kind of shoes. I packed the basic makeup neccesities, but didn't bother too much with it while in Mexico. Heck, I was there for surgery and wasn't worried that I would see anybody that I knew :)

Bring a good book or some magazines so that you'll have something to read while in the hospital.

I had my surgery on Monday and Dr. Rodriguez' assistant took us all shopping at a local mall in Monterrey on Tuesday afternoon. It was good to get out and walk around. We bought my son a Monterrey soccer jersey that's really cool :) We didn't bring a lot of cash with us, we used our debit card in the mall without any problems. We made sure that we had a some single dollar bills so that we could tip the taxi drivers.

I brought some chewable Gas-X with me. Glad I did. I didn't bring any other types of medication. They gave me an antibiotic and pain medication when I checked out of the hospital.

My fridge was stocked with bottled Water, apple and grape juice, V-8, applesauce, yogurt, yogurt drinks, pudding and Jello. I also had a lot of chicken noodle and vegatable Soup that I was able to strain the noodles and veggies out for the first week after my surgery.

It sounds like you have everything ready to go. I didn't pack until the day I flew out, so you have a great head start on things! :)

T

I was local, but I wore a pull over Mexican Wedding dress to and from the hospital. Shave your legs before you go. You may want to bring your heating pad. Will you need an electrical plug adapter/converter? Take about half of what you plan on packing. You'll have plenty. Do you have all your old clothes washed and grouped according to size? You'll be going through them quickly. Better start wearing your favorite current ones because they'll be way too big and you'll never be able to wear them again. YEAH! Sounds like you are very well prepared. I'm so excited for you! You'll do fine! Best of luck!:)

Hey Pam if you are anything like me I was shopping in TJ then next day after surgery. I took cash, some stores on El Revolucion will take credit cards, checks and travelers checks. El Revolucion is where you want to go shopping , it is the main drag in TJ where all the tourists go it will have everything you are looking for and then some (5 $ cab ride) Make sure you bring the Gas X with you and maybe some adult strength liquid tylenol for theride home I'm so glad I took mine and I just live 1.5 hoursfrom the border butthe way they drive in Tj and the way the raods are it stirrred al lthose gas bubbles in my tummy up. Also take a book for reading during pre op tests there is usually some wait time becasue Mexico is on their own time schedule. I also took some Snacks for my hubby, the hospital I had mine at was a Vegan hospital food was not so great and all the wait time he got hungry. I'm so glad I took the advice I had gotten from others when I asked becasue thebook, GasX, Liquid Tylenol and snacks for traveling companion were al neccessities . Good Luck to you

Take some Carmex or something for your dry lips. Also, a 'cough' pillow is your best friend. The best one I've ever had was made for me by folding a flat sheet into a small compact square then taping it across so that it doesn't come loose. You'll be needing this when you cough, sneeze or need to pull yourself up from a sitting position.

:)

The only thing I can tell you is that my travelers checks were usless. The hospital didnt even take them. I would recommend getting one of those new visa cards you can put cash on them. Those are much better you get them at the back. Charter one has them if you have that bank. I also brought a travel pillow for the plain that was great. Remember bring lots of 5's and 1's. those are great for tipping. Best of luck you'll do great the hardest part of this is just making the dission to go! you will be so glad you did. We will be thinking about you cant wait to hear how it goes!

Tu amiga, Andrea

Wear clogs or other slip-on shoes, and don't bother with socks; you may have a hard time bending to adjust anything. I suggest super-baggy clothes. If you don't mind being totally unfashionable, something like a muu-muu or dashiki would be perfect -- no front seams, no waistband to rub against your incisions. Take earplugs in case you are in a noisy hotel. If you don't mind being a wee bit floppy, this might be the time to leave the bras at home.

Good luck! You'll do fine!

LOL @ wee bit floppy, the twins might love a week of freedom, but I wouldn't want these things to hurt anyone, so I listened well and bought tank tops with the built in shelf bra. There's not a lot of support in those things, but at least a little bit of restraint.

Thanks everyone for the great advice, I'm really feeling comfortable about my decision to go. I have a secret fear of accidentally getting drunk and being arrested in my wee bit bra by herve villachez on a donkey, but I'll get past it thanks to all of your support.

Originally posted by PamRN

I have a secret fear of accidentally getting drunk and being arrested in my wee bit bra by herve villachez on a donkey, but I'll get past it thanks to all of your support.

That visual is just TOO funny!:mad: :D

TELEPHONE - get it in order. I have Verizon and my cell doesn't work at all in Mexico. There's a phone in the room, but I wasn't able to make long distance calls on it. You can stop at any drug store in TJ and buy a phone card, that way you can use the phone in your room if your cell doesn't work.

Back up and bring the bra. I wore my crummiest bra there, then threw it in the trash before surgery. It is still hot and clammy in Mexico, so my boobs were sweating underneath so I had to put paper towels under them cuz it was really uncomfy. The tanks with shelf bras are okay, too, but nothing tight.

I only brought one tote bag, and I'm glad I did. Everyone else was lugging and wheeling tons of useless stuff. I wore an outfit and brought one xtra baggy shirt and shorts. And I brought one pair of booty-socks, which I lived in to keep my feet clean for walking around (instead of always slipping on my sandals.)

Do not buy any gold in TJ - it's not real. They even do the acid test to prove it's 14k - I was a little tipsy and bought 4 charms that are now green.

And don't pay full price for anything! Talk them down. I got about $500 worth of stuff for $99.00. If the price is $20.00, offer $3. They'll ask for $15, give them $8. Wave the cash in front of their faces - cash speaks volumes there.

Also, you seem to be staying a long time after your surgery. I was only there 3 days, while the 5 other girls having surgery were there 4. They were all jealous that I got to go home, because they were all ready to go home but had airline tickets. One girl was glad she drove cuz she split a day early. So since you'll have extra time, maybe it's a good idea to bring a couple extra things. But I bought so much crap in TJ that I didn't need to bring anything!

Thanks D!

I'll definitely get a phone card, since I have verizon too. I think I'm packing fairly light, I have a rolling duffle bag that I can use for carry-on. Though with a 12 pack of Water it's gotten pretty heavy... is their bottled Water bad too? I'd love to leave mine at home.

I bought some old cassette players with headphones, and checked out some books on tape from our library for my mom and I, for the hospital, and flights.

I'm staying an extra day, just in case, and to give my mom a day to enjoy some of the locale. Seems kinda sad to go to a place like that and not get to check out even just a little bit of it.

Good idea Leatha, I'll do that with a sheet, we call that a tummy splint. Our hospital gives all of our new heart surgery patients a Teddy Bear with a heart on it's shirt to clutch for splinting.

making a note about gold...

adding duct taped sheets and rolled up paper towels to my donkey fear...LMAO!

I brought one large bottled Water and one bottle Gatoraid. I liquid fasted the day before my surgery, so by the time I got to recovery at 4pm, I hadn't eaten in 2 days. All they give you is Water to sip after the surgery, but they let me sip my Gatorade instead, and it was heavenly. I didn't need the water since they had bottled water right outside my room. It took me all night to finish the Gatorade, then in the morning the brought me tea with honey and apple juice.

Leave a little extra room in that duffle bag for things you're gonna buy in TJ. If you have old shorts and a crappy t-shirt to wear there, you can just toss them in the trash when they give you a gown to lighten your load along with your old undies. I left my old granny undies & bra in the trash (they were pretty big so they lightened the load!) Every bit of room helped. This isn't a beauty contest so who cares what you look like when you get there, right? I traveled alone, so I had to carry my bag. I even wish I'd left my book behind, because I never had time to read it. You'll most likely be having surgery with a bunch of other band patients, so you'll all become a little family. I spent my 3 days visiting my band buddies, and they spent their time sitting in my room with me. So I never even picked up my magazine or book - just the TV and visiting newly banded friends. Bring a camera - you may bond with someone and want a before pic together!

No matter what, Do not lift anything heavy!

Pack light, Flip Flops or slip-ons, big T-shirt, stretch pants...I ran around in my pajamas.

let me sip my Gatorade instead, and it was heavenly.
I lived on Gatorade.

Good luck, God Bless! I'll be thinking about you on Tuesday.:mad:

Make sure your luggage is on wheels. I really enjoyed my little neck pillow on the flight home. Try not to worry too much, it won't help a thing. I'll keep you in my prayers for a no problem trip to bandland.

OH JUST SO YOU KNOW ALSO THE BOTTLED Water THERE IS FINE. WE DRANK PLENTY OF IT TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH IN MONTERREY ANYWAYS WE EVEN FORGOT AND SOMETIMES ORDERED A DRINK WITH ICE IN IT FORGETTING ABOUT THE WATER. BUT NEATHER ONE OF US GOT SICK. THE HOSPITAL HAS BOTTLED WATER USED TO MAKE THE ICE. IF YOU DO ORDER WATER DOWN THERE ILL TELL YOU HOW TO ASK FOR BOTTLED WATER.

TU TIENE BODEAYA AGUA? (Do you have bottled water?)

I spelled it how to pronounce it.

You will do great and you have your momma there to take care of you. We will be excited to hear from you when you get back!!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

-ANDREA