Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LIST OF ITEMS TO BRING-OCC-DR. ORTIZ MARCH 7th

I have less then a month:/ trying to get things packed up and ready so I can be extra ready. Can you guys help me with maybe a list of things that some of you took on your trip to OCC with Dr. Ortiz? Thanks so much in advAnce:)

Bring a thermometer.  I felt warm a couple of times and they took my temp under my arm.  I didn't know how reliable that was, I would have much preferred a check by mouth.  

Hey surgery buddy!! I've been thinking of a little list and what I'm bringing is my heating pad, gas-x strips, chap stick, compression stockings (for the plane ride home because I'm paranoid, lol), my kindle, unflavored Protein Powder, a travel cup (so I remember to sip), and my own blanket for the plane because Alaska doesn't provide them. I plan on walking over to Walmart for some Vitamin Waters because I heard it's easier to drink things like that after surgery, and I might go by the GNC for an Isopure, but my mom told me they're really gross. Oh, and I heard that a comfy sports bra is good because one of the incisions is higher up near the bra line. My mom got a weird thing that you sniff and it helps reduce nausea so I might look into one of those or just carry a lemon around with me, lol.

Bring a thermometer. I felt warm a couple of times and they took my temp under my arm. I didn't know how reliable that was, I would have much preferred a check by mouth.

Awesome thanks hun! Will do:)

Hey surgery buddy!! I've been thinking of a little list and what I'm bringing is my heating pad, gas-x strips, chap stick, compression stockings (for the plane ride home because I'm paranoid, lol), my kindle, unflavored Protein powder, a travel cup (so I remember to sip), and my own blanket for the plane because Alaska doesn't provide them. I plan on walking over to Walmart for some Vitamin Waters because I heard it's easier to drink things like that after surgery, and I might go by the GNC for an Isopure, but my mom told me they're really gross. Oh, and I heard that a comfy sports bra is good because one of the incisions is higher up near the bra line. My mom got a weird thing that you sniff and it helps reduce nausea so I might look into one of those or just carry a lemon around with me, lol.

Sounds awesome ok so I bought gas-x but not sure if they were the strips:/ gotta check I have my protein powder but it's in a big container, do they have pouch ones? What's an Isopure? So when are u heading out ? U can text me so we can walk together to the GNC. I'll message u my number:)

Isopure is a clear Protein drink.. 20oz has 40g of protein. And lots of people seem to like Unjury protein so I was going to order some individual packets to bring with me. I'll text you now!!

I think you can only get them online at their website... they also have once a day chewable bariatric Vitamins I'm going to try.

I brought Protein powder with me but never used it....you are on Clear Liquids the whole time you are there. I also brought propel zero packets to mix in Water for the plane ride home which I did use. Besides bottled water, The Marriott provides chicken broth and Popsicles, both which were great. When I was there, I bought Decaf tea bags at Walmart because warm stuff went down easier. I also picked up Isopure at GNC and it was gross....ended up bagging the protein thing and got pedialyte at Walmart instead (had a fun time deciphering the flavors based on the pictures on the labels since I don't know Spanish) As of the last day, the nut clears you for drinkable yogurt. They have a huge selection at Walmart and it was nice to sip at the airport waiting to fly out.

As for other stuff, I brought GasX strips, baggy clothes (you will be very bloated), comfy slip on shoes, ipad, phone, a book and chargers. Fortunately all of the pants (sweats) I brought had pockets to hold the bulb from the drain. I used a safety pin to attach it to the inside front of my PJ's so I didn't have to worry about rolling over it in my sleep. They send you with all the Meds you need upon discharge (you need to pay $160). Don't worry about bringing your Vitamins, you don't start them back up until day 7 I think.

Good luck! OCC and Marriott staff are great and they will take very good care of you.

Edited by Kindle

I've read a few recommend bringing a pillow to press against your abdomen... any thoughts on this?