Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All!
It's been one year since surgery. I am a slow loser but have lost about 60 lbs so far. It's been an amazing journey and I am so happy with this decision; the best decision I have ever made in my life. I have learned a lot about myself in this process and also what is working for me and what is not. Definitely the first 6 months are very critical and one should really stick to the eating plans and exercise plans.

I am learning about my vices and my emotional eating habits. The addiction to food can be overwhelming. Now I have found that the human tastebuds take a few days to get accustomed to a taste. When I cut out the process foods and junk foods, the first few days are hard. But then it’s easier to stop and the cravings reduce. It’s amazing how we as humans adapt. Now that I am eating less and healthier, weight is just coming off and I am not craving. I had a bad patch around Christmas time when I was eating SO much. I couldn’t control it. But Then I started slowly changing my habits, and then it became easier. One thing really helped me: fasting.

The 5:2 method of intermittent fasting has been a life saver. I do at least one full day of fasting per week. This has been the single most helpful thing for me. One doesn’t need to eat a lot to survive. All the evidence out there about fasting is amazing and true. Watch the BBC documentary: chocolate, cheese, meat, and Sugar -- Physically Addictive

• Fat Sick and Nearly Dead
  • Sugar the Bitter Truth
  • Metabolism and Nutrition: The Inside Story of Obesity
  • So far so good guys! I am thankful to this forum as a support. Looking forward to year two!! :)

Great Post. Thank you.

I am scheduled for surgery on March 11th, so I am looking to get in touch with anniversary surgeries.

Can you tell me how you did with Protein drinks post surgery and if you recommend any?

Also, I heard that one must eat slow and chew very well. And wait to drink Water after a meal.

I worry about the habits I must break. But, I am working on it.

Congrats. sounds like you are doing well.

Aileen

Congrats on your Surgiversary and your losses and lessons learned thus far!

Thanks for the encouragement. @Aileen, the Protein shakes are really important. I used Spiruteen Cookies and creme because it was a flavor I liked. I had no issues and recovered in less than 10 days. The first few days were very hard, but then got easier and easier. Sugarfree popsicles are a must!

Honestly, for me everything was the same, you just eat way less. Like now my eyes have trained to get smaller portiions. When I see someone eat "normal" portions, sometimes I can't believe I used to eat that or double. I just take very little food each meal and its usually more than enough to satisfy. I am hungrier often, but you just have to learn to adapt. You will find your own techniques and learn from experience :)

<p>Hi All!<br> It's been one year since surgery. I am a slow loser but have lost about 60 lbs so far. It's been an amazing journey and I am so happy with this decision; the best decision I have ever made in my life. I have learned a lot about myself in this process and also what is working for me and what is not. Definitely the first 6 months are very critical and one should really stick to the eating plans and exercise plans.<br><br> I am learning about my vices and my emotional eating habits. The addiction to food can be overwhelming. Now I have found that the human tastebuds take a few days to get accustomed to a taste. When I cut out the process foods and junk foods, the first few days are hard. But then it’s easier to stop and the cravings reduce. It’s amazing how we as humans adapt. Now that I am eating less and healthier, weight is just coming off and I am not craving. I had a bad patch around Christmas time when I was eating SO much. I couldn’t control it. But Then I started slowly changing my habits, and then it became easier. One thing really helped me: fasting.<br><br> The 5:2 method of intermittent fasting has been a life saver. I do at least one full day of fasting per week. This has been the single most helpful thing for me. One doesn’t need to eat a lot to survive. All the evidence out there about fasting is amazing and true. Watch the BBC documentary: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://http//www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc'>“Eat, Fast and Live Longer”</a><br><br> It really helped me a lot and I highly recommend it. It’s the easiest way to control your weight.</p> <p> </p> <p>Also I found watching inspiring documentaries about whole foods and the dangers of sugar and processed food really helps my mindset. Some good videos which have absolutely inspired me to change are:</p> <ul><li> <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href=' style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span>Chocolate, cheese, meat, and Sugar -- Physically Addictive </span></span></span></a> </li> <li><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href=' Sick and Nearly Dead</a></li> <li><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href=' the Bitter Truth</a></li> <li><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href=' and Nutrition: The Inside Story of Obesity</a></li> </ul><p>So far so good guys! I am thankful to this forum as a support. Looking forward to year two!! :)</p>

Amazing post! This is truly helpful I'm at a stall at this moment and feeling like there's hope!

lost 60 lbs. amazing journeI so happy with this decision

"star"!!!! :)

you "might" be a slow loser - but i you are definitely a winner :)

60 lbs down :)

party dance party dance :)

all people should be aware that the length of time to reach goal doesn't matter

you are one smart cookie to realize that!!!

"God Grant me Patience, Just Hurry Up About It ;) "

happy surgiversary :)

keep up the good job :)

kathy

congrats

Edited by proudgrammy

I am now in ONE-derland! I'm so excited! Plan to be here in the long run !

ONE-derland! excited! Plan to be here in the long run !

@@starfish108

hey bud

67 lbs down :)

i knew you could do it :)

I'm sure you look as good as you feel :)

keep up the good work (I know you will :) )

kathy

congrats

Edited by proudgrammy