Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like a failure

I had my surgery on 8/13/13. My highest weight was 319 in April of 2013. The day of surgery I was 287. I am now 227. I go for my 6 month check up on Wednesday and I am feeling like the biggest failure because I have only lost 15lbs since my last check up 3 months ago.

I really feel like I should have lost more by now. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm eating too much. I didn't think my weight loss would slow down this much at 3 months out. It is very frustrating and I am feeling depressed about the whole thing.

wow, if i am reading right nearly 100 pounds lost in less than year?

sounds like you are doing fantastic to me.

It sounds to me also like your doing great. Don't give up on yourself, keep working your program and it will keep coming off.

I think winter months are harder to lose. I've been stalled since Christmas. We aren't as physically active due to cold and bad weather and sometimes we eat a little more. Shorter, gloomy days affect our mood. We're in hibernation mode. Cheer up! February is almost half over, the days are getting longer, we're in the home stretch! Warmer weather is coming! I'm looking forward to walking again when the snow and ice are gone. Even my dogs have pudged up a bit - we all need to get out again! :-)

I would agree with everyone else that losing almost a hundred pounds in six months is hardly a failure! One suggestion for you. If you start maintaining a food log you'll never again say "Maybe I'm eating too much." Log your food and you'll KNOW if you're eating too much, too little or just right. No guessing. Logging puts you in the driver's seat. Whatever your goal is, your log is your compass to take you in the direction you want to go. Your confidence will go through the roof. You'll be managing your weight instead of your weight managing you. Other than the surgery itself, logs are the most powerful tool you can have in your arsenal. Commit to it for ninety days and you'll never go back to guessing again!

You're gonna love the new you!!

Edited by DLCoggin

Maybe we're both failures? My weight was high and still is, but for time period we are at almost the exact same amount of weight loss. We just have to keep on going. Follow our doctor's guidelines, and exercise. The tool we have now won't just stop working on its own, so we decide when we will pick it up and use it and put it down again. Keep on going. You're not done yet.

I would agree with everyone else that losing almost a hundred pounds in six months is hardly a failure! One suggestion for you. If you start maintaining a food log you'll never again say "Maybe I'm eating too much." Log your food and you'll KNOW if you're eating too much, too little or just right. No guessing. Logging puts you in the driver's seat. Whatever your goal is, your log is your compass to take you in the direction you want to go. Your confidence will go through the roof. You'll be managing your weight instead of your weight managing you. Other than the surgery itself, logs are the most powerful tool you can have in your arsenal. Commit to it for ninety days and you'll never go back to guessing again!

You're gonna love the new you!!

So true! Because of you (DL) talking about the importance of logging your food it got me to start. All of a sudden I knew where I stood everyday with my Protein goals. No more 'guesstimating' which I found was waaaaaaay off! I can vouch for the importance of logging. It doesn't matter if you use an app for your smart phone or tablet, an online tool on your desktop or laptop, or a spiral notebook w/a companion calorie counter. Try it and you'll see exactly where you stand, what you're doing right, and sometimes what you're doing wrong. :-)

Love all the comments..EXACTLY CORRECT!!!..and remember 'Stalls' have a lot to do with you body playing 'catch up'.

I wish when people are researching which surgery there going to have, they'd also research 'Stalls". Stalls are important. They give the body and brain time to catch up on whats happening to it. Its the body way of getting use to it's fat reserves being depleted. Let it do its job and stop worrying about the darn scale. Damn that scale, it negatively effects so my people. Concentrate on your new lifestyle, concentrate on your new eating habits, concentrate on how to fill your cabinets with new foods, concentrate on you new exercise regime, look to your future. keep moving forward. The rewards are there, not on your scale. (stepping down of my high horse AGAIN..sheeez Dee, lighten up!!!) :P

Thank you everyone for your comments. I was having a really bad couple of days but I am going to refocus and get back on track. I have come a long way and sometimes I forget that. It really helped reading all of your comments. I am going to take your advise and start logging my food again and definitely exercise more. This weight will come off! ????

Love all the comments..EXACTLY CORRECT!!!..and remember 'Stalls' have a lot to do with you body playing 'catch up'.

I wish when people are researching which surgery there going to have, they'd also research 'Stalls". Stalls are important. They give the body and brain time to catch up on whats happening to it. Its the body way of getting use to it's fat reserves being depleted. Let it do its job and stop worrying about the darn scale. Damn that scale, it negatively effects so my people. Concentrate on your new lifestyle, concentrate on your new eating habits, concentrate on how to fill your cabinets with new foods, concentrate on you new exercise regime, look to your future. keep moving forward. The rewards are there, not on your scale. (stepping down of my high horse AGAIN..sheeez Dee, lighten up!!!) :P

Hear hear!! I totally agree. We all should remember the scale is just one of oyr measurement tools and shouldn't define success or failure.