Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. I am considering getting the sleeve done. In the beginning I wanted to get the lap band done because it is safer and if I do not succeed, hey I can take it out. Well after meeting with my surgeon and the psychiatrist, they both recommended the sleeve. I am not sure about the sleeve. My fears are they are first and foremost taking out my stomach. Who does that? What if I need that portion for something? and then the data is not up to date as far as I can see. Places I have looked say that there is not sufficient data on the sleeve. Also, the death rate scares me. I need help!! Anyone with words of wisdom and/or advise is more than appreciated. I am 379 pounds, married with 2 beautiful toddlers that I want to be able to spend the rest of my life with. So should I be afraid? HELP!!!

Don't be afraid! I just got mine done a couple weeks ago, and it is great! I feel normal, just can't eat much.

10 years we researched every weight loss surgery and the sleeve was the only thing we felt was safe for us. I think you will find your answer here by reading the posts here, and asking questions. Good luck! Ask questions!

Hi there

You may like looking at the "Science and Statistics" section under the "Main Gastric Sleeve" forum. There is a lot of medical research posted there. In that forum I learned the gastric sleeve is one of the safest laparoscopic procedures you can have. It made me feel a lot better about it. Also I had a bad band failure and wouldn't go through the band again. I am being sleeved on Thursday and will let you know how it goes. Good luck in your research.

Actually I think it's called research and statistics. It's something science related. Ha.

Ok because I was looking for the science and could not find it. I was just reading about the complications. I am trying to get an understanding from success stories to complications.

What if I need that portion for something?. Also, the death rate scares me. I need help!! Anyone with words of wisdom and/or advise is more than appreciated.

OK, here's a thought or two.......I've been around alot longer than you and the only thing that extra stomach provided me is extra room to become very obese. And as far as any death rates......check into the ones for obese people. You wanna be around for your kids....????? You need to get the weight off for good. How is gonna be up to you.

I was facing an early death like my mother, without my sleeve. I do not regret it at all. The weight I have lost to date has already made a profound difference in my mobility. There are risks in everything.

I would check the forums for the many people who say they have gone for a revision from the band, my cousin had the band for ten years and then had to be revised, she had lost 100+ lbs but the band broke. I think you will find many different stories here about problem with the band and needing revisions. .. I don't have a problem with the band, and it is a good choice for a lot of people. I didn't like the idea of a mechanism in my body, constant upkeep for fills, etc. The sleeve feels right to me after all of my research. ..

Diabetes, heart and HBP have been slowly killing my husband many years. As you age, health worsens. It is your call. Finally we were OLD enough that Medicare and our Supplemental Insurance allowed us to have the surgery at 65 and 66. We are hoping it will prolong our lives instead of waiting to die from sitting in our chairs. But honestly, Healthymesoon, you have to be confident to have this surgery, so WAIT TIL YOU ARE. Best of luck!

I am ready for my life style changei just need to make sure I will be comfortable doing the sleeve. Thank you for toe words