Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I belong to a couple of Bypass and Sleeve groups on Facebook, and have recently been reading posts written by quite a few people who have had complications. Typically, I am grateful to hear about the complications because I want to go into this knowing everything I possibly can. However, one this weekend has sent me over the edge. The person had surgery (sleeve) a couple days ago and is still in hospital. She is regretting having the surgery and her post was absolutely heart wrenching. Since reading that post and possibly the accumulation of reading ALL the posts, all I want to do is eat. Thinking about it, I realized that it's some sort of subconscious sabotage; I have to lose 25 pounds before I can have surgery (I have lost five), and if I don't lose the rest, the consequence is not having surgery. I don't even know what to do or to think. I'm in severe pain because of stenosis and sciatica in my low back and legs and haven't been sleeping really well. While losing weight won't cure this, but it will help a lot, so I needed to lose weight, and for long-term success, it looks like having surgery is my best option. Honestly, I just want to curl up in a little ball right now. Help.

fit2Bme2014, on 10 Feb 2014 - 00:18, said:

So, I belong to a couple of Bypass and Sleeve groups on Facebook, and have recently been reading posts written by quite a few people who have had complications. Typically, I am grateful to hear about the complications because I want to go into this knowing everything I possibly can. However, one this weekend has sent me over the edge. The person had surgery (sleeve) a couple days ago and is still in hospital. She is regretting having the surgery and her post was absolutely heart wrenching. Since reading that post and possibly the accumulation of reading ALL the posts, all I want to do is eat. Thinking about it, I realized that it's some sort of subconscious sabotage; I have to lose 25 pounds before I can have surgery (I have lost five), and if I don't lose the rest, the consequence is not having surgery. I don't even know what to do or to think. I'm in severe pain because of stenosis and sciatica in my low back and legs and haven't been sleeping really well. While losing weight won't cure this, but it will help a lot, so I needed to lose weight, and for long-term success, it looks like having surgery is my best option. Honestly, I just want to curl up in a little ball right now. Help.

For every negative scary post I think you will find 10 successful positive posts. I shied away from the negative posts pre-surgery because I went in for surgery to prolong the lives of me and my husband. Any surgery is scary. But the knowledge that my husband's health and mine were going downhill rapidly made the surgery look like a piece of cake. We began WLS seminars 10 years ago and took this very seriously. Only regret we did not have sleeve sooner before everything got WORSE with our health. Best of luck!

Regarding complications, talk to RJ's/Beginning. She was even in a coma. But.... Even through all of her complications, and they were many, she still says she'd have gotten sleeved. Complications can happen with any surgery and the sad fact of the matter is you will hear more from people with complications than those that do well sometimes in small groups. You know why? People get sleeved, do great and then stop updating. But people with complications seek support, which is exactly what we are here to give them. In small groups most people like to let others know when they are having a problem, while everyone that isn't just doesn't post every day "everything went textbook great today".

The chance of a complication is very slim. But yes, they can happen. It's a chance I'm willing to take. I have severe spinal stenosis, schmorl's nodes and my left foot and leg goes numb with pain on a regular basis. I have high bp and sleep apnea. I KNOW I cannot live this way and am getting the sleeve Bc it is the tool that will help me change the way I fuel my body. By doing it right I'll lose weight. By losing weight I could be rid of bp meds and a CPAP as well as ease my constant pain.

This is scary, and most people say that for a couple of weeks after surgery they suffer buyer's remorse, but in the end it's the best thing they've ever done for themselves

April

everyone regrets it day two post op. That is short lived, believe me. The risks of this surgery are very low statistically. I did a ton of research being a nurse. Best advice... pick a surgeon who has done many. I went to the best in my city... The Bariatric Center of Excellence. Grilled my surgeon on my initial consult. I have a 3 year old son who's dad is permanently disabled... I was petrified something would go wrong but I began to realize how many men and women with children decided (electively of course) to have this surgery. I felt the benefits far outweighed the risk. I also know I do well under anesthesia and recover quickly. All these things helped aid in my decision making process. This is a life changing surgery that is irreversible. You must be mentally and physically prepared for that and... having faith helps a lot. No one can make the decision but you. Be an informed and educated consumer. You know what is best for you. Mediate, pray... whatever you need to do but the answer will come and when it does...you will be confident and secure with your decision. Hope this helps :)

Edited by Belladonna723

Regarding complications, talk to RJ's/Beginning. She was even in a coma. But.... Even through all of her complications, and they were many, she still says she'd have gotten sleeved. Complications can happen with any surgery and the sad fact of the matter is you will hear more from people with complications than those that do well sometimes in small groups. You know why? People get sleeved, do great and then stop updating. But people with complications seek support, which is exactly what we are here to give them. In small groups most people like to let others know when they are having a problem, while everyone that isn't just doesn't post every day "everything went textbook great today".

The chance of a complication is very slim. But yes, they can happen. It's a chance I'm willing to take. I have severe spinal stenosis, schmorl's nodes and my left foot and leg goes numb with pain on a regular basis. I have high bp and sleep apnea. I KNOW I cannot live this way and am getting the sleeve Bc it is the tool that will help me change the way I fuel my body. By doing it right I'll lose weight. By losing weight I could be rid of bp meds and a CPAP as well as ease my constant pain.

This is scary, and most people say that for a couple of weeks after surgery they suffer buyer's remorse, but in the end it's the best thing they've ever done for themselves

April

Thanks, April!

Talk to RJ a couple times now. In regards to what happen to her, for whatever reason, it didn't seem to affect me as much as some of the resent posts have effected me. It could just be because I know that she has had a positive outcome...finally, and the recent posters are right in the middle of their awful experience. Thanks for taking time to try and sleeve my fears. :)

Thanks, everyone! There is just something very heart wrenching about the one post I read. Yes, the majority the posts I've read have been positive with minimal if any complications or side effects.

Edited by fit2Bme2014