Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone my name is Kelly new to this forum. I'm wanting to do the gastric sleeve surgery. I met with my surgeon and now I have to do my 6 month supervised diet. Has anyone done that? I'm excited about my journey to the new me.

Hi Kelly, welcome to the forum! My insurance required a six month managed plan. I began last June and had my sleeve surgery on 12/23. I did not have to prove or log my diet rather I had to show that I could loose weight over a longer timeframe. So the hospital mixed in monthly meetings with the NUT, exercise physiologist and the psych interview. I lost 42 pounds before surgery.

There is no doubt that the six months dragged on at times. I was ready in month four! But I learned a lot about my issues with food, committing to a structured diet and understanding what it would take to be successful. I tried many Protein powers in an attempt to find what I liked and established a lot of routines that I use today.

Some of the best advice I received from my surgeon was to improve my cardiovascular fitness before surgery. It turned out to be life saving for me and I would highly recommend some exercise while you are getting ready

Good luck on your journey! there is lots of great advice on this forum

Mine required a 3 mo plan.. Thank goodness .. I am not a good waiter.

Try and lose as much as possible to get rid of fatty liver.

You will blow away your goal weight.. try 150!! Kid you not though all are different.. You will hear that 1000 times on here.

Chris

I had to have four months of visits. It went by fast...lost some weight even. I'm on my second day of the surgery...getting ready to be discharged! First day was rough.....but today I feel great! Very little pain...excited to get my new life! So far so good. I did have a ting of regret my first day of surgery, do to mainly nausea but wow i feel so much better! And what's so great I am not hungry!

Good luck and don't give up because the weight visits and all the millions of task you to get the surgery!

Kellyswan congrats on your choice to be healthy I also had to do a 6 month weight management and I see the surgeon next month, use this time to break old habits as well as learn everything and prepare we are hear for you this forum is great .

I also did a six month supervised weight loss plan for insurance. Combining that with the 2 week pre-op diet that my surgeon required, I lost 55 lbs. I also worked hard on improving my cardiovascular fitness and my strength, and I think those helped a lot in my post-surgery recovery, which was very smooth. Improving your cardiovascular health will also cut down on the risk of blood clots with surgery, which is the most dangerous risk associated with the surgery.

I spent those six months learning a lot about what my post-surgery life would be like. I went to nutrition classes and had sessions with my surgeon's exercise physiologist, as well as meeting with my PCP to discuss weight related issues, diet, etc. It was hard to wait that long but I do think it benefitted me a lot -- I went into surgery very educated and prepared! It also ended up being the perfect timing for surgery with my work schedule (surgery in June and I work at a university) so it was all good in the end. My dietician says that people who have to do a six month weight loss plan prior to surgery generally lose a bit slower at the outset than other people, but long term have better success rates when it comes to losing all their weight and maintaining their weight loss.

Good luck to you!

Hey Kelly i have a 3 month wait. I statred this journey in December when I went to see te doctor. I just finished my 2nd of 3 nutritional classes. The waiting has nt been as bad since I found this site. All of the information is just great becuase it gives you pros and cons, it tells you of the good and bad experiences and it also helps you to see what are someof the things you may or may not endure. Time has really moved quickly becausse I look at thi site everyday as wel as others. I cant wait for my journey to begin. Good luck its right around the corner!