Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to prepare MENTALLY?

I am happy to say my surgery is scheduled for March 11!

I have done two years worth of research on types of WLS, different surgeons, countries, etc. After deciding on a surgeon, I have my plane tickets, my shopping lists, care for my children, hubby's time off work, support from my PCP, my best friend, my father...

Everything is falling nicely into place. But I am SCARED. No matter how much research I do, I am still afraid of what will happen AFTER surgery. I mean, I didn't get to 360 pounds because I overeat once in a while.

I am a serious food addict! I binge. I crave. I lose focus. I lose control.

I am afraid to fail. Did anyone else feel this way? Is the sleeve really going to be a tool that can help me? Can I really learn to change my "lifestyle" after my loving husband works so hard to pay out of pocket for this? After I've put my body through a major surgery? After I've altered my body's design... forever?

Am I going to be able to do this?

I hear ya! My surgery is in 4 days. I am on day 18 of an all liquid diet. I knew I had to mentally prepare myself for a new way of thinking and a new relationship with food but the liquid diet has tested me for sure. It has also helped prepare me. I have to face the fact that this surgery is NOT a cure all – I will have to work, seriously work to be successful. I think we are all a little afraid that we will fail. It sounds like you have a great support system at home – that’s important and wonderful! Remember that the majority of people who are successful embrace support groups. You CAN do this… there is power in positive thinking! Good luck Jen.

Jen, you can do this. You are in a great place mentally already, because knowing you have to make the changes will keep you on the right path.

Reading here about vets who have gone through it is a great way to prepare. If you search on "food addiction" and other similar topics you'll find a lot of info. We all have food issues. Recognizing it is a great start. Check out threads from laura-ven on the subject.

One piece of advice I will offer (just my opnion, so no one flame me!) is that you avoid taking to heart some of the posters who advise "everything in moderation" and "one bite of birthday cake/halloween candy/whatever won't hurt" or "I can't eat much so I let the sleeve do it for me" types of attitudes. It may work for them, but it may not work for you if you have a food addiction. The thing is, your sleeve will have very tight restriction for only so long. Eventually you will be able to eat a bit more and that's where the trouble starts. You still won't be eating a lot, but if you eat high carb choices those calories can pack in really fast. If you drink those calories (sugared coffee drinks, smoothies, etc.) it's even worse.

Many of us avoid our trigger foods (varies for everyone, but some common ones are chips, candy, chocolate, popcorn, Cookies, alchohol - no one ever has a Tofu trigger!). A trigger food can be bad because if you have just one it opens a flood gate. So we have to stay away. Lots of people coming into this ask "will I never be able to eat XXX again?" Most likely, you can eat it again. But will you want to and how often? That's the question.

Remember that how you feel about food will change dramatically throughout your journey. The first month you may hate food, maybe the first three months. For me, there is no joy in food any more, just sustenance. This was very hard for me because I am a foodie. The joy of food is gone for me and I mourn it. That's something I have to deal with. Some other people have really gotten into making sleeve food with style and do a great job with new recipes and ideas (check out gamergirl's blog).

Anyway, good luck to you and post often. This is a great group for support.

If you know youre a food addict, I would say find a therapist ASAP. Start going soon as you can.

I had 8 years under my belt at the time of my surgery and altho it wasn't planned that way..I know that it prepped me for this journey in every way.

My therapist really has helped me overcome a lot..food addiction being one.

Good luck abd congrats on getting your date!

The journey is SO worth it! But any surgery is scary, especially if you have to go out of town for it! :( but we are here for you... it is a lifestyle change as well as a tool...but I don't regret a moment! So nice to function like a "human being" again!!! Good luck!