Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for some help getting back on track!

I have been banded for a few years now! I got banded while applying for a nursing program that I am now only 5 month from finishing. School has taking its toll on me. Stress and studying for hours at a time with little time to exercise (excuse i know!). I am struggling, to top it off I experienced the tragic death of my dad, after clinical in November I received a call he was taken to the hospital for trouble breathing, this was not an uncommon thing so I packed my bag expecting to wait with him for some breathing treatments and send him home. An error occurred in his medication administration, and as I got there he was going into respiratory arrest and died three day later from lack of oxygen to his brain. when I got on the scale this morning I was devastated to see what this has done to me~ I need a support person~

Tonya, I know how stressful nursing school can be, I remember it well. To add the loss of a parent makes it a million times worse. I'm so sorry for your loss. You know you can have all of the support here that you wish for. You can do this. Just keep remembering your father would want you to be healthy. If I were you, I'd create a new start by restarting my postop diet and take it from there. Also, try to make some exercise time....I know how hard this is, but it will help your stress level and your diet. Keep us posted.

I have been banded for a few years now! I got banded while applying for a nursing program that I am now only 5 month from finishing. School has taking its toll on me. Stress and studying for hours at a time with little time to exercise (excuse i know!). I am struggling, to top it off I experienced the tragic death of my dad, after clinical in November I received a call he was taken to the hospital for trouble breathing, this was not an uncommon thing so I packed my bag expecting to wait with him for some breathing treatments and send him home. An error occurred in his medication administration, and as I got there he was going into respiratory arrest and died three day later from lack of oxygen to his brain. when I got on the scale this morning I was devastated to see what this has done to me~ I need a support person~

Let me first say that I am sorry to hear about your Dad. Losing a parent is never easy.

You are in the right place for support, so welcome! There are many here who are different phases of their journey, they are wonderful supportive and inspiring people.

My advice to you, is what I rely on when I hit bumps in the road. I take it back to basics. If you have not checked in with your Dr. for a while make an appointment with them and check in on the status of your band and fill level. If you need an adjustment get one.

Do the 5 day pouch test, you can find it online by searching. It's basically going back to the pre-op/post-op liquid Protein phase. I will do a few days of liquids then mushy then solids making sure I am working my band mechanics the whole time. It helps me re-set my mind and body to get back on the bandwagon again.

Stress is a very real thing and it affects us all in different ways, you have been through a lot in your personal and professional life over the last few months. So give your self some TLC and congrats on making it through nursing school!

Sorry for the bad news.....

Can only speak for my experience....been banded for 3 years, have been through all sorts of life's situations, good and bad...

One thing I have learned is that for me...the band is a constant...aside from little variations throughout the day. like the morning for example, my band does not change....

thank you for your responses and I know things will get better! just needed to get started and maybe have some accountability helps! just getting it out! I will check back when I can, but now I must study for a test and finish a reflection journal on my clinical from this week! 5 more months!!! :)

Like with anything, set small goals. Even with school. When I was in nursing school. I survived by planning and thinking holiday break to holiday break. Ex spring break etc

SandyM I am doing just that! we are flying to see my step-daughter, her husband and their daughter for spring break! I can't wait! Then Spring term for me is practicum! This term has been very difficult because it is ED and ICU, and code blue check offs all of which I faced in the loss of my dad. My instructors have been really great! I have a list of the exams, megacase analysis and papers I have to complete this term I put a line after each is complete!

so sorry for your loss. It doesn't matter how old you are, losing a parent is always difficult. Try not to add to the stresses of your life by reversing all your successes with your weight loss. Weight is difficult to control but you now have the ability to do it...unlike the inevitable daily life occurrences.

Going back to the beginning eating plan makes sense. Good luck.