Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me about your required pre-op diet

I have been given my pre-op diet instructions from my surgeon! He said that I need to do this diet for at least 10 days, and can do it longer if I so choose to. I would like to "try" to do it for a month. In part, to try to get my body a little ready for a big change. And also to lose weight and be as healthy as me and my fatty liver can be!

So tell me... What is your pre-op diet like, if you have one? WHAT are you eating for your one "meal"??? And do you think a month is doable? Too long? I believe it's going to be insanely hard to get used to, so I want as much time to adjust as I can get!

Here are my guidelines:

30g or less carbs

60-70g Protein minimum

2 shakes per day

1 lean protein meal per day

64 oz Water per day

snack can be SF Jello

your pre-op sounds just like mine.

Mine is two weeks. The first week is 3 Protein Shakes with a lean cuisine. The second week is 4 Protein shakes. I think I have 2 days of Clear Liquids at the end. I start February 17 - although like you - I am thinking of starting sooner.

I have been wanting to try a pre-op diet before I have even scheduled the surgery (I have my second consult this week). I think I will try yours - maybe we can check in next week?

Mine is a shake for Breakfast

snack consisting of either sf pudding or sf yogurt mixed with unflavored Protein powder or a liquid mixed with it.

Lunch: Half a shake, lean Protein and cup veggies

Another snack as above.

Dinner: same as lunch

At least 64 oz of Fluid

That's for 11 days. After that liquids only.

I was told the want you to have an abundance of protein to promote healing.

Edited by superfatty

My pre op diet was 5 Protein Shakes per day. That was it. Did that for 16 days.

Just got my info today. I get 2 shakes (their brand only, I think) mixed with Water only. NO MILK!! These are in place of 2 meals.

I get a 3rd meal consisting of 4 ozs of my choice of Protein (any meat, eggs, cheese or fish). They gave examples of Protein as lean beef, steak, veal, turkey, chicken, any kind of fish, cottage cheese, eggs, and cheese.

We are also allowed 1/2 cup of non-starchy vegetables. They gave examples of broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, green Beans, salad greens, and cucumbers. NO fruit, PEAS, CORN, POTATOES, TOMATOES, OR OTHER STARCHES!!

We also have to take a Fiber supplement, 8 chewable orange (ugh!!!) Vitamins per day and 200 mg of CoQ-10.

We must drink 64 ozs of liquid (no coffee, Decaf coffee, tea, or soda). No carbonated beverages.

We can also have 2 servings each of SF Jello, SF Popsicles, and broth per day in between meals.

I'm pretty much typing this verbatim from my preop instructions.

Edited by *Glitter*In*The*Air*

No Decaf tea? Hmmm.... did they say why no decaf? Maybe because it would be a temptation to sweeten it ( assuming full sugar? )

No controls on what type of sugar free sweetener?

Edited by SnohoGal98296

No Decaf tea? Hmmm.... did they say why no decaf? Maybe because it would be a temptation to sweeten it ( assuming full sugar? )

No controls on what type of sugar free sweetener?

I can have decaf tea. I probably typed that out wrong. I found some yummy caffeine-free Tazo flavors: Cocoa mint and Spicy ginger.

No specific instructions on SF sweeteners. Did you get specific instructions on them?

Oh good on the Decaf, I love Tazo Passion!

No restriction on the SF sweeteners, but I have seen others pals say that certain sweeteners block their weight loss... I use them all...

Edited by SnohoGal98296

My doctor gives his patients about a 4 week supply of Optifast to use post surgery ( Soups and Protein shakes) which you can use during your pre-op diet. The pre-op diet isn't that bad its just two days. My surgery is Monday 2/10/14 so I will be on soft foods Saturday

Then on Sunday it will be Clear liquids only

• clear broths, Water, clear tea and 7-up

I also have to use nulytely bowel prep ( which my mom used prior to one of her surgeries and she said that stuff is HORRIBLE.... it makes you gag and vomit... so I am NOT looking forward to Sunday, BUT magnesium citrate or fleets can be substituted if I can't stomach the bowel prep.

All in all the pre-op isn't that bad... I think Sunday will be kind of difficult, but hey its just one day. It's the Post-Surgery diet that's going to be rough its about 6-7 weeks and you don't go back on solids until about week 6 or 7.

I'm super jealous of all of you that got to have actual food during your pre-op diet!!! My surgeon requires a 15 day, liquids only diet. I can only have Protein Shakes, Jello, popsicles, broth, limited amounts of fruit juice, and Decaf tea/coffee. I'm only on day 4 and it's hard lol

I'm super jealous of all of you that got to have actual food during your pre-op diet!!! My surgeon requires a 15 day, liquids only diet. I can only have Protein shakes, Jello, popsicles, broth, limited amounts of fruit juice, and Decaf tea/coffee. I'm only on day 4 and it's hard lol

I'm super jelly of all of you that can have decaf coffee! I've had to give up food, diet coke, cigarettes, caffeine, and coffee! Lol ;)

We can all do this!! We are gonna rock these pre and post op diets and look fabulous very soon! :)