Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New stuff....

I have come to realize that i have been afraid of failing with the lap band and that is why i have been sabotaging my efforts.

NO MORE!!

I have joined a weight management clinic here in Ottawa.They have many types of diets and tthey all offer the benefit of being follwed by a physician.

I took the 500 calorie diet called a VLCD.very low calorie diet.This

is extremely strict with 7 low fat Protein choices,1 fruit and restricited vegies(no corn,carrots beets ect)They tell you to have 2 protein supplements which they sell(of course)but they taste better than any shakes i have purchased on my own and are sitting in my cupboard untouched!

I take the hot chocolate.It taste so darn good not like anything i have tried...i actually LOVE it!

I also have to take potasium supps.They had to prescribe one that dissolves in Water since the pills are huge!and my multi vit.

I weight this am at home and it looks like i lost 7 pounds in 5 days!!

I will post my actual weight on Wednesday after my next appt.

I feel in control and soooo hopeful.

I have also started exercing.30 minute uphill brisk walk in the am and 30 minutes on the elipcal.Every 2nd day included weights and Thurday evening included volleyball at the local high school.

i don't know what clicked but something has changed and i like it!!

Chantal

:)

Chantel, congratulations on becoming motivated to be more focused on what you are eating. I have to say though, I think a 500 calorie diet sounds drastic - of course you will lose weight but eating that little doesn't do much to help you change your unhealthy food choices for the LONG term, which is why most of us got banded in the first place. Plus I personally feel 500 calories is an unhealthfully low amount for a woman to eat, and feel well enough to do all the stressful, normal everyday things!

Please take care of yourself - the "feeling in control" may not last if you binge/cheat on your strict diet, and in my experience, is followed by self loathing and shame/failure cycle. You have lost weight, and with making healthy choices, coupled with your great new exercise program, you will slowly but surely get to a healthy weight AND feel energetic and fantastic!

I hope you don't think I'm "raining on your parade" - I am so happy for you that you feel something has changed - maybe after a week or two of the strict diet, you can ease off, and use the big weight loss as a springboard to feeling more motivated!

Best of luck!

Ps - Maybe you'd like to read this article from Spotlight Health's Newsletter - It helped me get back to the gym today and bin my cookies!

http://www.spotlighthealth.com/platforms/mo/obesityNews/obesityNewsDetails.aspx?id=83

Originally posted by ~c~

I have come to realize that i have been afraid of failing with the lap band and that is why i have been sabotaging my efforts.

NO MORE!!

I have also started exercing.30 minute uphill brisk walk in the am and 30 minutes on the elipcal.Every 2nd day included weights and Thurday evening included volleyball at the local high school.

i don't know what clicked but something has changed and i like it!!

Chantal

:D

Chantel, I'm so glad that "something clicked"! I remember feeling that way about bike riding. And your exercise program is fantastic! I so agree with your opening statement. I know I've felt that way.

But I have to say, that I'm very concerned about the 500 calories! Girl, you don't want to lose your muscle mass and bone density! That is something that can affect you immediately and certainly in the long haul. I have a friend right now fighting osteoporis. It's crippling and very, very painful and just gets worse with time.

One of the things that attracted me to the Lapband was that the weight loss would not be as drastic as the bypass surgery. I want to give my body time to adapt to the weight loss and hopefully eliminate (or at least reduce) any side effects from rapid weight loss.

Do take care of yourself! You have a fantastic attitude, and a wonderful husband and kids that love and need you. I'm not trying to "preach" at you. I just care and want you to be a happy, successful, and healthy bandster. You've done such a great job! Keep up the good work!:)

I don't feel like you are raining on my parade at all!

It is drastic and the 500 calorie diet is only for weight loss.

I do want to stress that this is monitored by medical doctors.They do monthly blood test,heart tests and abdominal test(for gallstones)

It is safe but not a way of life.Once a person reaches their goal weight they introduce re-feeding to get to a specific calorie level to help maintain.

Chantal