Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand vs. Gastric Bypass?

LOL, I got a giggle out of this - I'd LOVE to have a "skeleton look" :) My friend and I were commenting the other day how great it would be for someone to look at us (75-150 pounds overweight now) and say "Oh my, are those ladies anorexic??";)

No, I'm not poking fun at those who have a different eating disorder than I do, but it just hit me as cute to worry about that :)

What I was referring to by "no skeleton look" was the appearance that many people who have had RNY get. You know, the way they look like their head is way too large for their body. A great example of the skeletal look is Star Jones (even though she doesn't admit having RNY). When you lose weight very quickly, you get this unhealthy look.

I was initially considered for RNY back in 2005, until I was actually on the table and opened up. Once there, a rare condition found in 1 in 5000 adults in the United States being that of malrotated intestines (literally, my intestines were backwards; even my appendix was on the wrong side of my body) was found and resulted in the surgery not being able to be completed.

From there, the option of banding was discussed and I decided to go for it. So far, I am glad I have. :)

cost. I've heard from someone who has had RNY that it is a lot more expensive than the band. So that is something to take into account if one is self pay or worried about copays.

I think that overall the band is a better choice. I know it is more popular than RNY in Austrailia and Europe and I wouldn't be surprised to see it become more popular here in time. But it isn't the better choice for everyone. Some people need to lose the weight faster. Or have other reasons/issues that make them a better canidate for RNY versus the band. Or even for DS. Or for verticle gastric banding.

The two people I know with RNY have gained weight back. They also experience dumping or other issues. And have to take serious supplements every day. One of them now has breast cancer (currently in remision). Due to the RNY I think that maybe her choice of meds was sometimes limited. She can't take big pills anymore, at all. So for pain meds and stuff that means they have to be small enough or liquid.

I'm narcoleptic-- I didn't want malabsorption because of my worries about how that might affect meds I take for that (and other conditions). Also the band is safer for pregnancy. And as my surgeon pointed out, if something better comes along in, say, five years with the band I can always get an upgrade.