Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me PLEASE! Need some restrictions!

Hello! By some amazing grace I have had my band since Jan 25, 2013. I have only needed to have two fills since then. My fills on average about every 4-5 months so far. I am just moved so I am having a hard time getting into this new doctor in which they REQUIRE you to take a nutrition class but it is only offered once a month so I have to wait until the feb. class. With that being said, I am due for a fill and need a fill, BAD!

I am writing on the forum because I want to know some helpful tips or some success stories on how people have survived the monster of hunger while waiting until you can get a fill. I literally have no restrictions and am not feeling full like normal. What are some good tips? good foods? etc. Like always the morning is always a tougher time. I haven't been going "out" of my whole eating plan but I get cravings more and I simply eat WAY more than what I should be doing. I get this is real life, and what people without the band deal with.

Can someone offer up some advice to help me guide through this what feels like a god awful time for my stomach! I DO NOT want to gain anyway or stay plateau for almost a month! Help me, PLEASE?!

All I can say is to measure your food with your meals being no more than 4 oz total. A lot of people use myfitnesspal to track how many calories they are eating as well. You should stay within 800-1000 calories if you possibly can. Have cheese sticks handy and Protein Bars for a snack. Good luck.

First let me say congrats on the move. You have just done something that is really stressful in your life. It is never easy to move and assimilate into a new environment and now you are having to meet and fill requirements for your new doctor also.

My best advice is to first take a deep and cleansing breath. Then take a second to ascertain where your hunger is really coming from. Sure it is totally possible that you need a fill, and you are on your way to getting one, but some of this could be emotional eating and head hunger from the stress of moving even if it was a positive thing for you, it was still stressful.

Once you know it's true hunger, try to monitor the things that you choose to eat to feed that hunger. Maybe break up your meals into several smaller meals that you eat consistently through out the day to keep your blood sugar stable and that may abate some of the hunger feelings. Choose higher Fiber and Protein rich foods. If you are going to "snack" make them healthy, and worth the extra calories.

When in doubt someone told me drink a glass of Water first. If you are still hungry after that then eat because you are hungry. Sometimes we are thirsty or bored and we don't realize it and think of it as hunger.

Finally I would call the doctors office and try to speak with the nutritionist 1 to 1 and let her know your new to the area, you will take the course but your an existing band patient who knows the basics, and doesn't want to get off track just because of your move. Maybe she can give you a short one on one course review if needed so you can see the doctor for a fill, or let the staff know you can by pass that requirement for now just to get in to the doctor and you will make up the class.

Best of luck to you!

Looks like you are doing great, so far. You have lost 95 lbs in a year! woohoo! i like lisoncaron's idea of calling teh nutrionist and speaking 1-1, to see if you can somehow move up to a sooner appointment. Best wishes, keep up the good work, too! Karen.aka.kll724

My nutritionist suggested that I go back to the basics when I started heading in the wrong direction. Go back to your Protein Drinks and basic foods. Also, can you increase your exercise some? If I've exercised, I hate to snack and ruin what I just worked hard to do.

Thank you all for your advice and tips! 911dispatcher, I like your idea of going back to the basics and hitting up my Protein shakes!

lisacaron, absolutely agree with everything you have said! I need to take a look at why I am searching for food, this is a daily issue that ALL people face lap band or no lap band. I can't keep hunting for food the rest of my life! haha! :)