Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had Gastric by-pass after thyroid surgery

Hi All, I had thyroid surgery many yrs. ago because of a goiter, I've taken thyroid meds. ever since. Has anyone had the RNY surgery after thyroid surgery?

Hi Rinny, I have thyroid/ Graves' disease I currently take synthroid daily. I had radiation treatment for my goitre. I had open RNY Jan 20th, last week! So far I love it! I am down 20lbs since the 1st. I know with thyroid we have a harder time losing but I am going to stay focused and positive and just keep pushing!! Do you have a surgery date?

Funny I also started out with Graves' disease and was at my high weight of 302lbs I weigh less now. Usually we are suppose to be so skinny because our metabolism is moving so quickly. Haha...I am always the exception to the rule. Then did the radiation and left with hypothyroidism. On levothyroxine now among other things. Looking at a march surgery RNY...I have met others with the hypothyroidism that have had the surgery and they have done great. I think one of the key things we need to do is stay on top of our situations by getting our thyroid panels done regularly...and be very familiar with what the symptoms are of the disease other than weight gain, Hair loss, depression etc. Your gonna do great--we all are!

I have Graves' disease and had surgery about 20 years ago. Once I developed thyroid problems my weight became an issue. I had RNY surgery almost 2 yrs ago and it was the best thing I ever did !!!!! I am on Armour Thyroid, I tried all the other meds but they just did not work well for me. I had to increase my meds after surgery I think due to the surgery and not being able to absorb all nutrients. My hair, nails and skin have been crap since I developed thyroid issues and I am VERY diligent about taking my Biotin even before RNY surgery.

2BigLamb, They tell me I should have surgery in early summer,May or June. I'm on levothyroxine , I had hyper thyroid before surgery and they took a little too much so now it's post surgical hypothyroidism. I wanted to ask BBdoodle what is Armour Thyroid? Also I am a retired hairdresser with very fine thin hair, iVe been using Nioxin products to encourage healthy hair along with Biotin. I haven't used anything else for over 15 yrs. I have more hair at 67 than my grandmother had at 50. My mother died at 47 so I have no way of knowing how her Hair loss would have progressed. Thanks gals for all your kind help. Mary

Studies suggest a significant decrease in TSH 12 months following surgery in patients who are not taking preoperative thyroid medications. Higher levels of TSH were associated with greater BMI in both patients on and off medication.

Had a thyroidectomy in 2010...gained 110lbs as a result of it which led to me RNY surgery in April of 2013. In a year's time, I have lost 120 lbs and I am feeling great. I have not been exercising like I should lately but I am getting back on the horse tomorrow morning and getting on that treadmill at the gym (gained 5lbs in a few days).