Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

needing some advice

I have my appointment to see the surgeon on Feb 3rd. I have no requirements other than an EGD. I have terrible back problems. I just a spinal cord stimulator trial. A spinal cord stimulator is a medical device that sends electrical impulses to areas of pain instead of pain signals thus fixing the pain in my back and legs. I had no idea that the stimulator would work so well. I could walk everywhere, I have done that in years. Now I am second guessing having a bypass. I have 183 pounds to lose. I find myself thinking I could exercise my weight off. I know I will still have to work out after the surgery. However, if I have a permanent spinal cord stimulator surgery, my back and legs will not bother me anymore. I was so ready to have a gastric bypass. Now i am confused.

Sweetie, Im thinking, if you have 183 lbs still to lose? Will you muster up the dedication, focus, motivation, determination and stamina it will take to get the weight off your legs to accomplish your mission? if so, no surgery needed!!! Not that you wont need that if you have WLS you will...but, WOW if you can do it without WLS...POWER ON!!!! much luck whatever you decide, its your decision alone. After that, were here for you ten fold. Let us know what you decide.

I had a long talk with my husband. He is very supportive of me wanting and having weight loss surgery. He had an idea. I should have the WLS. After I lose some weight , if my back still hurts then check into getting the spinal cord stimulator permanently implanted. I honestly believe a lot of my back pain is due to my weight. I do have failed back surgery syndrome, I have had two spinal fusions that just stabilized my spine, but didn't help with the pain. That's the plan. It is something I am going to have to decide on my own. Thanks for the reply.

Talk it over with the surgeon. He/She should be able to help you come to the right decision based on your health needs taking your back issues into consideration. I know that for me the surgery is the tool I need to stick with it and not give up.History tells me that after I start loosing I somehow convince myself that "I got this" and before you know it, I fall back into bad habits, put the food journal on the side, fold up the treadmill and give up again. Good luck at your appointment and remember to be honest with the surgeon and yourself.

I have a neuro-stimulator which I got 3 years ago. I have also had back surgery due to bilateral synovial disk disease. I now have severe arthritis in my lower back which the stimulator does nothing for. All the stimulator helps now is the pain in my legs. Now I am having radiofrequency ablation to help with the arthritis pain so I will be able to exercise after I have gastric bypass surgery. So I understand what you're going thru. The WLS surgery will make it much easier on my knees and my back when I start doing more than walking. I am 65 so I imagine I am older than you..

If I had it to do again I wouldn't get the stimulator becus it only helped my back for about 6 months before the arthritis set in. The ablation is working, but the wls will help more. If I were you I would have the weight loss surgery because 183 lbs is a lot to lose and will take a long time. Wls will make it easier to lose the weight and quicker, but it will have to up to you in the end.

I hope I haven't offended you, but I know how difficult it is to lose weight--iv'e probably lost (and regained) hundreds of lbs in my life. Hang in there and do what's right for you.

It is absolutely not my intent to be unkind. But the statistical failure rate of diet and exercise for folks with a BMI greater than 30 is well documented and well over 95%. Many doctors believe that it is closer to 100%. It very rarely works and doctors have known that for a long time. They simply did not have any option to offer. Now they do.

Gastric bypass is the single most effective treatment known to medical science for obesity and more than 30 comorbidities associated with obesity including type 2 diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnea.

The decision is an intensely personal one that can only be made on an individual basis. Perhaps your answer to the question "Which alternative offers the greatest promise of improving my health and my quality of life?" will help you to make the decision that is right for you. Whatever path you decide to take, we're all here to support you every step of the way!

I too have a back problem. I am 95% s ure it's a herniated disc in my lower back, I definitely have two herniated discs in my neck, I have decided that I am having my weight loss surgery and then dealing with the other issues. Hopefully they will calm down a whole lot once I've lost a lot of weight. I now need to lose 115 lbs., I have a tens unit like you, I tried ablation and it did nothing for me. The only real thing that is going to take the pain away is getting rid of this weight.

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't offended by any of them. I wanted to know what others who are on the path to weight loss surgery had to say, critical or not. That's why I love this forum everyone is so supportive of each other.