Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't stay asleep anymore...

As my weight is going down, I seem to be having more and more trouble staying asleep. No matter how late I go to bed or how tired I am, I can't stay asleep.

Last night I was exhausted (and I'm catching a cold) so I went to bed around 9:30. At 2 a.m. I suddenly woke up and had trouble going back to sleep. The same thing happened at 5 a.m.

I took a sleeping pill on Tuesday because I was determined to sleep in, but the same thing. I woke up a few times during the night before getting out of bed at 6 a.m.

It's very dark in our bedroom (we have blinds, plus room darkening shades) and no children or random loud noises. When I wake up, I don't have to pee, or feel thirsty, or in an uncomfortable positions, or even feeling stressed/worried. I also haven't been elbowed my husband or had a nightmare.

It's annoying because I've had this problem from about the age of 8 - 25. Then, at 25 I started packing on major pounds and once I hit about 230lbs, I started being able to fall asleep quickly and stay asleep comfortably through the night.

To make things even more bizarre, I had a sleep study two weeks before my operation, and the doc said I had mild obstructive sleep apnea which gave me 19 "mini wakings" an hour (even though I don't remember them and thought I was sleeping straight through the night).

Anyhow I feel like I'm rambling. has anyone else experienced this? any insights, suggestions or solutions?

I've had a hard time sleeping for years. I can't fall asleep and when I do, I hafta pee every 90 mins throughout the nite and can take as long as 10 mins to empty my bladder (currently in process of an MS diagnosis) so by then I'm wide awake. I used to take Ambien ( a strong sleeping pills) until I got into a fender bender and didn't remember it (amnesia is a side effect). I was then put on Temazapam (a milder pill) + I took OTC Melatonin (at least 20 mg) + 100mg of Benadryl (a cocktail that would hibernate a 500lb bear). After my sleeve revision 6 mths ago, I quit taking unnecessary pills and I now just take Temazapam and it's usually fine to get me to sleep but I continually wake up to pee and then I have a hard time getting back to sleep

Not sure what to do about it anymore. Being tested for MS currently and hoping if it's positive, they can give me something for my bladder symptoms. I can't remember the last time I slept more than 3 hrs straight. Hubby sleeps 8-10 hrs in 1 position the whole night, never waking up once. Wow. lucky dog.

Good luck to u. I would recommend OTC Melatonin. U can get it at Walmart (near the vitamins). Comes in 3mg, 5mg, and 10mg. I'd start with the lowest dose and work up from there. It's dangerous to take more than 20mg (which I did regularly)

Insomnia is why I am reading your thread at 3 AM.

I cannot fall asleep and hate tossing and turning in bed so I get up, surf the web till I am finally tired and hope I don't sleep all the next day.

I used to work night shift and think my body prefers being up at night but I never get more than 3-4 hours of sleep when I finally do get to sleep. (and I don't wake to pee, just wake and am up for the day)

Pre-op here, but I'm up too. Have had insomnia for as long as I can remember. At least I get to catch up on this forum....

I'm also preop. I've had insomnia for months and I don't know why. I have bipolar disorder and my mind races which may be part of the problem. I've tried melatonin, Ambien, Benadryl, and various tranquilizers--nothing seems to work. My PM medication does make me drowsy but I can't stay asleep. Last night I went to bed at 9PM, awoke at 1:30AM, and have been awake ever since. This stinks! :angry:

I'm also preop. I've had insomnia for months and I don't know why. I have bipolar disorder and my mind races which may be part of the problem. I've tried melatonin, Ambien, Benadryl, and various tranquilizers--nothing seems to work. My PM medication does make me drowsy but I can't stay asleep. Last night I went to bed at 9PM, awoke at 1:30AM, and have been awake ever since. This stinks! :angry:

maybe ours is the bipolar disorder. I have it. sleep meds do not work for me.

I take an herbal combination of melatonin, chamomile and some other herbs. It's called sleep essentials. I get it from Swanson Vitamins online. I take the pill and within a half an hour--I'm out. I sleep throughout the nigtht excpet when my bladder wakes me up. Unfortunately, I have an overactive bladder. I take 4mg. Detrol LA for that. Before I started taking it--I was going to the bathroom up to 20 times a day and several times at night. I even had the problems with it when I was alot thinner and in the military. Didn't take the Detrol until over 10 years after I got out of the Army.

I also take 100 mg. Zoloft for depression.

Those are my experiences.

I wish y'all luck with finding something that works for you.

Blessings,

Kathleen

I wake up like clock work everyday at about 4 to 4:30 since surgery. Every time i am wide awake.. Was never like that before surgery. So I use that as a sign to go work out....I see it as a plus....

I too suffer from insomnia. I realized just a few days ago that I wake up often during the night when I don't eat very much during the day. However if I go to bed with a full stomach, I sleep like a baby.

I've had this issue, and have done a lot of reading on it, and it seems that electrolytes being off balance (due to low carb eating) can do this. I increased my magnesium, sodium, and potassium and am working on find the right balance. When I had my labs done, even with supplements, my #s were right near the lower edge. It's driving me crazy and pretty sure it's increasing my hunger during the day.

Thank u everyone for your advice and input. I'm going to try taking melatonin for a few weeks.