Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take you to decide to have surgery

Hi everyone! I'm a new poster, but I've been lurking for a few weeks. I hope that I'm on the right board - there are so many!

I'm wondering how long it took you from first thinking about maybe, possibly having surgery to saying "yes this is for me" and commiting to it?

My friend was sleeved 8/9 months ago & looks and feels great. I'd never considered surgery until we started talking and then I started toying with the idea of the band. I attended a seminar in Nov., decided the sleeve was a better option for me and had my 1st appt. to consult with a surgeon early last week. I've done some research, I'm reading the "Big Book" & I read this site quite a bit, but I'm still not sure...I want to do it, I'm ready to change & I know that it's a tool that I'd have to work with for the rest of my life, but I'm scared about the unknowns post-surgery & the rare, but possible complications and leaving my two kids behind. Those fears are holding me back & making me wonder if maybe I'm rushing into things? But then I think, well even with time those fears probably won't go away, so is waiting another year or two just for the sake of "thinking about it" worth it?

I know the journey is different for all of us, but I'm curious if you "just knew" and went for it rather quickly or if you thought about & researched it for years before moving forward with the surgery? Did you ever feel like you'd done enough research beforehand?

Sorry this is so long!

My choice was different than alot of others. I'm up there in years and the clock is ticking. Add in some co-stuff and I become a ticking time bomb. The minute I found out I qualified and could get it done, my mind was made up. No looking back since.

for me, I probably had it lurking in the back of my mind for quite some time... my sister had a full gastric done over 10 years ago (would have had a sleeve if that was available to her)... I have RA, so my weight was ballooning out of control because I could barely move; this surgery has helped me immensely; but you have to find what and when is right for you... I wish I had done it sooner... good luck to you!

MissyLINY,

I went all the way up to the point of scheduling the surgery for the lap band several years ago. Knowing what I know now--I'm so glad I chickened out of the lap band. I had a consult with a surgeon in early 2013 and was left with a dissapointed feeling. The surgeon I saw was not exculsively a weight loss surgeon. His practice was abdominal surgery but not dedicated to WLS. I'm so gratefull I found another sugeon that ONLY does weight loss surgery and the practice he is a member of ONLY does weight loss surgery. I had my first consultation with him in September of 2013 and was so pleasantly surprised to find out my insurance covered the surgery AND I could have it as soon as December 2013.

Once I made up my mind in October--there was no turning back. I'm a person who does a whole lot of research and then commits fully to a decision. The surgeon's office I went through is also a Bariatric Center of Excellence and I'm so thankfull they were the ones who performed the surgery.

I was very fearful of the unknown factors prior to surgery but after the fact--I worried for nothing. I was so fortunate to NOT have any adverse reactions to the trauma of surgery, anesthesia, drugs etc.

I wish you the best on your journey,

Kathleen

I had toyed with the idea of WLS for a few years. It wasn't until the beginning of 2013 that I decided once and for all that I was at least going to go to a seminar. That date, January 11, 2013 changed my life. I left the seminar just knowing that I wanted to start living again and made an appointment the very next day for my inital consult.

I used the next five months of my pre-op diet to learn everything I could about the sleeve and on July 26, 2013 I had my surgery. Now, 6 months and 104 lbs lighter, I am so glad that I finally had the courage to attend that seminar. Like others, I only wish I had it done sooner.

I thought about weight loss surgery for years - then 2nd thoughts and an effort to try losing weight again on my own prevailed.

2013 was a turning point - I wasn't doing it on my own, my weight was increasing, my blood pressure was rising and I was mentally going down hill. I knew I needed to do something.

I found out in June that the wife of my husband's friend had the lapband and was doing great - that was when I decided to go to the seminar offered by my local hospital. I came home from the seminar and started researching - I gathered information for about 2 week, then had my initial consult with a local doc. That was 08/21/13 - I decided that day, that I was doing down the WLS path.

So from the "let's see what there is out there" to "I'm going to do this" it was 3 weeks.

And I'll add...I'm one of those people that says, "My only regret is not doing it sooner!"

Best of luck to you.

I never considered WLS for many of the reasons you listed...fear mostly. But my sister was sleeved about two years ago and I watched her transform. I still always thought that it just wasn't the right thing for me, then one day it just clicked that I needed help. I went to an informational meeting and walked out before it even started. Looking back I realize that I was not at the point mentally ready to make this big of a change. So I mulled over it for a few more months, did tons of research and joined the program that my insurance offers about three months ago. I still have three months to go of classes, and I feel like that time is a blessing. About a month after I started the class I was on the forums everyday...reading everything I could find about surgery and after and before and anything else even a little related.

I've been deciding on surgery for about 2 years now. Back in 2011, I began pre-op requirements to have the Lap-Band surgery. I stopped due to a career change and insurance complications. I didn't think much again about having WLS until I started doing research on the Gastric Sleeve this past fall. I made the decision to have surgery in December. I attended a seminar and was scheduled for a consult 2 days later. I began my 6 month nutrition program this month. I'm excited and nervous for what's to come. There is nothing hindering me this time around.

I had toyed around with the idea for quite some time but kept thinking "I don't have THAT much weight to lose" and was convinced I could do it on my own if only I could find the "right" program. The thing is, I was able to lose weight, sometimes significant amounts, several times. However, every time I would gain the weight back plus some. About a year ago I realized that I was avoiding social interactions because I hated how I looked, hated trying to find something to wear, hated being the biggest person in the room. I realized that I haven't taken pictures with my children in years and if something happened to me tomorrow there would be very little record of me even being in their lives.

So I started looking into it and found out my insurance didn't cover it and was very upset and defeated. Then my husband said "I love you no matter what but you are unhappy so let's find a way to make this happen." So we did and I'm scheduled for surgery on March 5th. I can't wait.

I've taken the past year to learn as much as I possibly can about the surgery and what to expect during recovery and the changes I will need to make for the rest of my life. I've spent some time learning about food addiction and started working on addressing those issues as well because I want to give myself the best chance for success.

I have small children too and am terrified to die in surgery and leave them motherless. But really....I'm killing myself slowly now right in front of them. I am not participating in their lives and it's just a matter of time before the health issues start piling up even though they aren't now. I'm just READY. I'm scared...but I'm so ready.

I went to the surgery seminar not planning to make a decision yet...and was given blood tests, a first doctor visit...and a week later, an approval!

I was very scared and surprised, but my insurance company (anthem BCBS) apparently decided that I needed the surgery as I had several comorbidities....

I waffled for about two months, lurked on bariatric pal, and joined some Facebook groups...I learned so much and decided to have the surgery...

I am six weeks post op and so VERY HAPPY!!!

About a year ago I realized that I was avoiding social interactions because I hated how I looked, hated trying to find something to wear, hated being the biggest person in the room. I realized that I haven't taken pictures with my children in years and if something happened to me tomorrow there would be very little record of me even being in their lives.

Oh wow - I could have written this :-( These things & realizing that I no long run around & play with my kids, but rather sit on the floor and watch them run around me are some of the driving factors that got me to this point. I'm here with them, but feel like we're all missing out on the fun that we could be having if I had the energy & could move around more :-(

Thank you all so, so much! What you've shared has been VERY helpful. I'm going to continue researching & going to all of my appointments over the next six months and hopefully the confidence in my decision will come & those fears will quiet down!

I, like many others was considering the lap band several years ago and started going to all the prerequisite drs appt for approval, during this time I lost a considerable amount of weight and chickened out of surgery. Slowly the weight came back plus some and I felt like crap all the time, clothes didn't fit, work uniform was super tight and I found myself wearing the same clothes all the time because they were stretched out and comfortable.

Decided in dec '13 I had enough and needed to do this for not only myself but my family, I was just sleeved this past mon 1/20/14, and feeling great, like I have a new begging of life and so looking forward to this summer and wearing clothes that been hanging in the closet for a such a long time.

You will know when the time is right for you, get as much info as you can in the mean time so you can decide what's best for you.

My friend had hers a year and a half ago and when I saw her results after a few months I started the thinking process. I debated with it for about 8 months and then started the process myself. Three and a half months out and down 91 pounds since surgery date, no regrets what so ever!

I first started considering it in Oct 2013. Working on my pre-op tests now and hoping for surgery in June 2014, which is the soonest I can take 2 weeks off from work.