Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 6 an no motivation to change to full foods

So finding myself in an odd spot (at least compared to the pre sleeve days).

Hit 6 weeks post op today and instead of diving into some previously forbidden treat or having some hearts desire meal, I find myself not shifting off of the soft foods diet.

Thinking its two fold, one is the process is working, 6 weeks no cheating and I am down quite a bit of weight and feeling good about it. So maybe one part is, why screw up a good thing now? Though, just as the docs knew what they were doing with the diet so far, I am sure they know so going forward.

The other part is the schedule. Eating mostly Protein every two hours has me pretty much absolutely sick of eating. Even though I am probably only netting 600 - 800 calories a day while usually hitting 90 - 120 g of Protein. But eating different stuff doesn't have that much appeal when you are just sick of eating stuff.

Anybody else have hesitation leaving behind the post op restricted diet days?

Are you sure your just not afraid to test your sleeve and see how he purrs....some people are scared to death to go to the next step.....You must move on........You must get to real food and not depend on shakes or soft food to live on.....It is all part of the journey.....

So off you go and plan a nice chicken supper maybe with some veggies on the side.

You will stall as your body may start to think that you are not feeding it enough....K

Yeah, thinking fear might be a part of it. Fear was certainly a component of not cheating.

I stayed diligently on the prescribed diet through the liquid and soft-food phases because I was really afraid of causing a leak in my sleeve. Now that I am able to eat everything again, I still stop as soon as I feel full, because I have found that eating even one more bite past full does not feel good!

Hear u losin it.

Think part of my worry is for 6 weeks I have been scared of looking the wrong way at a peanut (one of my pre sleeve vices) and now all of a sudden I am supposed to have some.

Yeah, thinking fear might be a part of it. Fear was certainly a component of not cheating.

Just work slowly at this point okay..Start with things like shrimp if you like it or chicken. add a little cooked veggie to it and a couple of mouthfuls of carbs....Put your fork down after every meal and even if you need to measure your food out...when your fork is down chew chew chew...!/2 way stop and just look at your plate....Pay attention to how your stomach is responding to the food put there..See if it tells you...Gives you a sign to stop eating..Some people their nose runs..Others sneeze....You will find yours as well..When I do that most of the time I push the rest of food away from me and leave the table.....

Eat where you can concentrate on what you are doing..No distractions okay.......

Hear u losin it.

Think part of my worry is for 6 weeks I have been scared of looking the wrong way at a peanut (one of my pre sleeve vices) and now all of a sudden I am supposed to have some.

Leave the peanuts out of the equation okay for now..Just eat to get used to the new way you need to eat.....Your stomach is not going to take some foods well at first and you may find that you can't stand peanuts!!!!!!!

I wasn't in any hurry to move to the next stage due to not being able to eat much. I still pretty much live off of yogurts, cottage cheese, shakes, soft cheeses and occasional deli meats.

I'm 3 months post op. My nurse wasn't alarned by it and said I was doing great so no worries.

I wasn't in any hurry to move to the next stage due to not being able to eat much. I still pretty much live off of yogurts, cottage cheese, shakes, soft cheeses and occasional deli meats.

I'm 3 months post op. My nurse wasn't alarned by it and said I was doing great so no worries.

It is not an alarm that is going off..it is the next step in this journey...Your stomach is now ready to go to the next stage...It is a good thing! It is a good thing to go slow as well..And it is a great thing that you are ready for the next step....take it! But move slowly at first................K

It is not an alarm that is going off..it is the next step in this journey...Your stomach is now ready to go to the next stage...It is a good thing! It is a good thing to go slow as well..And it is a great thing that you are ready for the next step....take it! But move slowly at first................K

I have a stricture...I can't move to the next stage, yet its not big enough to strech out as some will have done. I've opted to just roll with it and let it slowly go back to normal. I just need to go slower than the majority of people here and I'm ok with that.

Some days I miss having normal food but for the most part I'm happy. But its made winter here in Minmesota tough. I haven't been able to do all the physical things I like doing. And I have days like today where I judt feel like poo and can't get much in me at all. Thank heavens for propel zero and pure Protein.

I have a stricture...I can't move to the next stage, yet its not big enough to strech out as some will have done. I've opted to just roll with it and let it slowly go back to normal. I just need to go slower than the majority of people here and I'm ok with that.

Some days I miss having normal food but for the most part I'm happy. But its made winter here in Minmesota tough. I haven't been able to do all the physical things I like doing. And I have days like today where I judt feel like poo and can't get much in me at all. Thank heavens for propel zero and pure Protein.

Well that explains it then....I was referring to the natural order of things...I know what you mean..I did not eat for 6 months because of complications..And i moved into eat new area with much caution as you should do...Once you are healed and ready you will find that you will want to eat real food and good and healthy food...I wish that for you..I hope that for you..This is a journey..Some have it easier then others...Some have to work hard for each success......

Well that explains it then....I was referring to the natural order of things...I know what you mean..I did not eat for 6 months because of complications..And i moved into eat new area with much caution as you should do...Once you are healed and ready you will find that you will want to eat real food and good and healthy food...I wish that for you..I hope that for you..This is a journey..Some have it easier then others...Some have to work hard for each success......

I'm still happy I did this. Some days are just harder to get threw. And its funny you talk about me eating real food...I've gotten to where I can't imagine that. Last night my hubby was in the kitchen watching me get some cheese...I had 1 oz of cheese and half of a small Ostrim stick. I sliced them up thin and he raises his eye brows and says ...you're not going to be able to eat all of that. He was right too.

I still consider myself blessed tho. Like you, I've been close to death a couple of times from heart issues.

I have another shot at life!

I have another chance to make it to be a grandma some day!

I have a chance to REALLY find me.

I'm still happy I did this. Some days are just harder to get threw. And its funny you talk about me eating real food...I've gotten to where I can't imagine that. Last night my hubby was in the kitchen watching me get some cheese...I had 1 oz of cheese and half of a small Ostrim stick. I sliced them up thin and he raises his eye brows and says ...you're not going to be able to eat all of that. He was right too.

I still consider myself blessed tho. Like you, I've been close to death a couple of times from heart issues.

I have another shot at life!

I have another chance to make it to be a grandma some day!

I have a chance to REALLY find me.

It is very nice to meet someone who has had trouble like myself...We are fighters and survivors....Your attitude is amazing...I so see you succeeding in this war!!!!!!!! I am a grandmother and she is most of the reason I did not give up on myself through this.....

I, like you consider it another shot at life.....Let me know how you are getting on!!!!!!!!!! It is very nice to meet you gomekast.. :)

Are you sure your just not afraid to test your sleeve and see how he purrs....some people are scared to death to go to the next step.....You must move on........You must get to real food and not depend on shakes or soft food to live on.....It is all part of the journey..... So off you go and plan a nice chicken supper maybe with some veggies on the side. You will stall as your body may start to think that you are not feeding it enough....K

You worded this very well...this is me exactly...terrified to "see how she purrs..." I like that...well put.

Shel

I took it very slowly and did not regularly eat "normal" foods until 4-5 months. Still ate tuna and cottage cheese for the most part. Every body is different.You don't need to push it. My nut and doctor were fine with it. They were more concerned with people rushing it than the other way around. However, some things to watch for:

• If you find yourself getting hungry you need to try some firmer Protein. It will stick around longer and fill you up.
  • If you find yourself eating more (quantity wise) than you think you should, go for some firm Protein and make sure you eat it first during meals
  • If you find yourself eating more (calorie wise) than optimal, then eat that firm protein

6 weeks is still very early. No need to rush it. However, to be sure, a call to your doctor wouldn't be a bad idea.