Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid to tell the kids

My girls are 19 and 17. When I mentioned a while back that I was thinking about having bariatric surgery, they had a very negative response. One said, "why don't you just eat less and exercise more" and the other said "but you're not THAT fat". I'm about 2-3 months pre-op now and I'm thinking I should probably tell them pretty soon. I just don't want to deal with the negativity again. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Your an adult and I know it sounds odd but they are adults also at 17 and 19. You had to do what is best for you and they will know that when they see you skinny!!!! Its your life and you have to live

Chris

I was very nervous about telling my grown daughters, but they have seen my struggles and were surprisingly supportive considering they don't have any problems with weight. They also did not think I was heavy enough, though I am morbidly obese.

You may want to go through some of your struggles at trying to lose weight with your daughters so they can share your journey and see what led you to this decision. I would also tell them that people who reach a certain weight are dismally unlikely to be able to lose weight by diet and exercise and keep it off. This is a much more effective method.

While they are good intentions on your children's side..They don't know what you really feel or have been through in life to get you to this decision.

That was nice of the one to say that your not fat enough but really...What does she know about what is going on under your skin?...

You have your reasons for choosing to do this...If they love you which I think they do they will support your choices like you have supported theirs..

Don't let anyone stop you from fixing your mind and getting yourself healthier and letting the real person you are out...You have a lot of life yet to live....Your life your choices...

Go get em!!!!!!!!!

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Point out the potential health hazards you are currently facing. My children were actually the ones that convinced me, I had mini stroke in 2007 and then two more in 2012. They did an intervention and brought together all the grandchildren and had them rehearse, "we love you YaYa and want you around to see our children!"

Once your family realize that you are doing it for health and not simply looks, they hopefully should be more supportive.

I told my 11 year old Son, (My daughter is 4 so whats the point) and he was so amazing!! He looked puzzled at first and then said, "Mom your not even obese your just chubby." I said, "well according to doctors I am obese" he goes, "Doctors are sadists who are in business to watch people suffer" I DIED laughing. He is so brilliant it makes me beam with pride. I told him I will be skinnier and eat like a normal person. He said, "so your stomach will be the size of mine! Cool!" LOVE HIM!

I havemt told my father yet. I have been the black sheep for so long that anything I say to him is just.. speaking to a wall. Really whats the point?? Am I wrong?