Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

gastric sleeve after removal of lap-band

Hi - my name is Helen - in 2010 I had lap-band surgery - many, many complications, including aspiration pneumonia 2x, trips to ER to be emptied - never getting over 4cc's of saline without becoming ill - then, in march of 2013 - port flipped when went in for a fill. Fortunately, had surgery to replace port within a week - unfortunately, an infection was present, and dr had to remove the band. Of the 70 lbs I had lost, I have regained 30 - so far!!!!!

Presently, I am a little concerned about surgery this drastic at my age - 62 - less concerned about permanent long-term weight loss. Anyone else with pre-sleeve and post-band experiences?????? pros and cons accepted.

hello, i am 59 and getting the band removed and sleeve done at the same time.

I guess we will have to work harder because of our age...But I am determined to make the sleeve work...best of luck.

I had the lapband removed in October and I was sleeved at the same time. So far, I'm down 65 pounds, and the journey has been very smooth. I had a ton of issues with the lapband. None with the sleeve! No intolerances, no nausea, no throwing up. Night and day from the band.

I had surgery dec 9, 2013 to have band removed and sleeve surgery at same time. No complications. I have lost 23 pounds post op..(10 pre op). I am happy with my sleeve..also so glad that my lapband is out of my body.

did you feel very weak? how soon did you go to work? weight loss starts immediately?

Ny operation is on 24th...want to get it over soon.

I had the lapband placed in 2009. Several issues with it & discovered I had a hiatal hernia along with esophageal dilation. Had band removed & was sleeved on Dec 30th. One day after my 38th birthday. I feel great. Was a little tired & weak in the first few days. I'm doing a lot better. I work as I nurse in a busy ICU & returned to work after 2 weeks.

Also there is a whole forum dedicated to band to sleeve conversions. If you don't get as many answers on this forum you should definitely check it out.

I recieved the lap band in Oct. of 2010 and initially lost 50 lbs with it. Family emergencies and stress lost me my focus and I gained almost all of it back. I could not get pass the first fill of my band without complications on regurg, nausea, and vomiting. All we did was fill, take out, refill, take out, etc.

I have reached a point and my surgeons agree that I need to do something because this is not working for me. Feb. 20, I have a meeting and a decision will be made in regards to the band and a possible revision. I am scared and concerned. Have already started to research more on the sleeve and am trying to learn from others who have gone through this. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

it is a good decision. Even I am a bit anxious. my family is not supporting me..but I want to go for sleeve.

i have arthritis and need to loose weight badly.

all the best. My date is 24th jan.

I am sorry to hear that you have no family support. I do have a fairly good support team including my hubby. It does get tough though and if you ever need someone to talk to, I am usually around here somewhere. You are going to do some marvelous things after your surgery is done and taking care of yourself is on the top. I also have arthritis and have had back and knee surgery to help. It does not help with the added weight. I do not plan to slow down any time soon as I am only 57.

I am so proud that you are going ahead to take care of yourself. Keep believing cause you will make it.

thanks Debbie for your encouragement. it means a lot to me.

Any time you need me, remember, I believe in you. YOU DESERVE IT!!

Glad to see someone mentioned the support issue; my three daughters were against the lap-band - were sooooo happy when it was removed. I hesitate telling them I'm being sleeved in April. I think I'll tell them a few weeks before and hope they help out at the last hour - we'll see.

This has been a big help so far - all the positive feedback re: being sleeved, and I am learning a lot about the procedure and post-op - which terrifies me - still just seems so drastic - do not want to be in and out of the ER like I was when I was banded - horrible. Hey - that's why this is a support forum, right?

Keep it coming, folks, I'm all eyes!!!!!!!!!

I am all about support since I have not had much in the past. It is hard to believe in yourself when you are trying to make a life change and then have no one support you in that change.

My hubby, chemist that he is, helps me with research and discussion on issues that come up in the research. I did not do enough on the band but never knew it until I had it done. The concept is great but the actually is not.

If your girls are really concerned about what you are doing, give them the pros and cons of the sleeve surgery or take them to a support meeting and let them ask the questions. Do they have valid reasons for concerns?

Any time you need to talk with someone, do not hesitate to look me up. I have a fairly good group of supporters and I do not miss a chance to try to help someone else reach their dream.

YOU ARE WORTH IT!! Do not ever forget that.

Debbie

My family was happy that I was getting the lapband removed, but not as happy that I was getting sleeved. They were concerned and worried, especially since the lapband had been nothing from trouble.

I was also concerned because I didn't think the sleeve was really going to work. In the back of my mind I thought that it would be the same failure as the lapband.

After 3 months, I have never been happier. Getting the sleeve was the best decision I made.