Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apnea & Books

Hey sleevers!

I have a few questions.....

1) Did anyone have sleep Apnea and use a CPAP prior to surgery and then not have to use it anymore after you lost weight? That is one of my major hopes in getting this surgery and I think about 85% of people end up "losing" their sleep apnea. If so, how much weight did you lose before you d ditch the CPAP and roughly how long after surgery was it?

2) Do you guys have any book recommendations in regards to the sleeve? I just finished reading "The Sleeved Life" by Pennie Nicola and it was pretty good, but short. I see a few to download, but wanted to know if there were any must reads pre and/or post-op?

I went to costco today and finally got my Premier Protein shakes for after surgery. I tried one today and I must say they are good!!!! :)

Thanks guys!

Josh

WOW! I don't know why this topic posted so many times!!! UGH! Sorry

I had sleep Apnea and now I no longer use my cpap. I have to say I really need to go in and test again to be safe. I just don't want to.

My husband says I don't choke or snore anymore. I started noticing in the beginning after I had lost bout 40-50 pounds that I would wake up and my mouth was super dry and the air seemed to much. I went in to the doctor 3 times and had to adjust it down. Then the last time I just stopped using it. I am about 100 pounds right now but I think it was around the 50 pound mark for me but I bet this is different for all since we don't weigh the same starting out.

There was one lady I met at my support group and she is 6 years out and she has been at goal weight for a long time. She still has it. So I know to be safe I need to go get checked but for now I feel safe because hubby watches over me. :rolleyes:

Alex brecher has a great book on the sleeve. I bought it on my nook..it is a great book. From pre to post op.

I got the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies". I think it is one of the best as it covers everything from Soup to nuts.

I can only answer #1 as I never bought any books - this forum was all I needed to answer my questions.

I had tried on and off a few months prior to month 10, but my sleep quality was still too poor to go without the machine.

But I completely stopped using my CPAP at 10 months post-op. I had lost around 130lbs from my highest weight.

A few months previous to completely stopping usage, I started noticing that I was having lots and lots of air pumped into my stomach from the CPAP machine. I was passing so much gas during my sleep that it would wake me up and my sleep was interrupted a lot. So I started testing how well I slept without the CPAP. And after a few days I noticed that my sleep was just as good without the machine.

Hey sleevers!

I have a few questions.....

1) Did anyone have Sleep Apnea and use a CPAP prior to surgery and then not have to use it anymore after you lost weight? That is one of my major hopes in getting this surgery and I think about 85% of people end up "losing" their sleep apnea. If so, how much weight did you lose before you d ditch the CPAP and roughly how long after surgery was it?

2) Do you guys have any book recommendations in regards to the sleeve? I just finished reading "The Sleeved Life" by Pennie Nicola and it was pretty good, but short. I see a few to download, but wanted to know if there were any must reads pre and/or post-op?

I went to costco today and finally got my Premier Protein shakes for after surgery. I tried one today and I must say they are good!!!! :)

Thanks guys!

Josh

I got the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies". I think it is one of the best as it covers everything from Soup to nuts.

I 2nd this book...my surgeon said he liked that book the best because they covered nearly everything.

I 2nd this book...my surgeon said he liked that book the best because they covered nearly everything.

Third vote for Dummies, great book with details and covers all types of surgery.

I also got the Big Book of Gastric Sleeve

Can you get a ton of information from forums for free? Absolutely! But I really like having these books on my Kindle for reference and non-anecdotal info.

Third vote for Dummies, great book with details and covers all types of surgery.

I also got the Big Book of Gastric Sleeve

Can you get a ton of information from forums for free? Absolutely! But I really like having these books on my Kindle for reference and non-anecdotal info.

Totally agree with you in terms of wanting to have something for reference in a physical form! That's why I am trying to read as many books as I can. Does the "Dummies" book discuss a lot about post-surgery (recovery, eating, risks, etc...)? I have everything I need leading up to that point and it seems like most of these books focus on pre-surgery decisions and options and that's fine; I'm just past all that.

I had mild obstructive sleep Apnea prior to WLS. According to my sleep study, I was waking up 19 times an hour. I also used to wake up around 3 or 4 am every morning with my bladder so full it hurt. (I learned that this was caused from the apnea. Basically when I started having breathing trouble, it put stress on my heart, which sent a distress signal to my brain, which would then release a chemical that stimulated my bladder to produce more urine).

That was really annoying and scary because I would cut off drinking 2 hours before bed and urinate several times before I turned in for the night. I was afraid that I was developing incontinence.

I also felt groggy most mornings, had frequent daytime headaches and by 2 o'clock every day I felt exhausted and needed to nap.

Post-opt, I've lost almost 30 lbs. I don't wake up in middle of the night anymore and my bladder doesn't feel like it's going to burst anymore. I'm feeling clearer headed during the day and I rarely nap anymore.

A few nights ago, my husband said he had to check on me to make sure I was still breathing because I was breathing so quietly. I asked him what I used to sound like and he said my snoring was loud and most nights I sounded congested like I had a cold.

Totally agree with you in terms of wanting to have something for reference in a physical form! That's why I am trying to read as many books as I can. Does the "Dummies" book discuss a lot about post-surgery (recovery, eating, risks, etc...)? I have everything I need leading up to that point and it seems like most of these books focus on pre-surgery decisions and options and that's fine; I'm just past all that.

Yes, it covers a lot of post-op topics from what to expect, diet phases and progression, and exercise, even recipes. Although everyone here will tell you to follow your surgeons plan for best success and use the forum and books for back-up. ..

So does the Big Book of Gastric Sleeve btw.

Edited by SnohoGal98296

I was retested for sleep apnea and still have to use my CPAP :(