Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Virginia is for Lovers!

I wish I could say that I found love here...I found the love of food. I guess they should be more specific about the motto. My name is Alison and I live in Hampton VA., but chose the Norfolk Surgical Group's Dr. Wohlgemuth for my surgery. I met with him for the first time yesterday (3-22-07) and am even more excited than ever to have the LapBand done. My email address is straybb@yahoo.com.

Howdy from VA!

Alison

5'2", 250lbs., 46BMI

I am pre-band yet, and it looks like there is a pretty long waiting list. Dr. Woowoo says that he is worth the wait. lol. I have been blessed with a Comedic Surgeon! Or at least a Surgeon with a pleasant sense of Humor. I am full of it myself, so we should get along swimmingly. My questions are: What shakes taste the best, from any of your experiences? Can I start a liquid diet in advance? I am single and live alone so I am in for some rough seas, but at least there won't be anyone bringing any fast-food home for me to smell and desire. What else can I do pre-operative to aid my Doctor in a successful procedure? I am fortunate that I am not Diabetic and have few obesity related health issues and I LOVE SPLENDA. Are these questions lame or legit?

I appreciate any advice you have to offer!

Alison

Hey, Alison, I live up in the Richmond area. I'm also in the process - I went to a required info seminar and have my first consult appt. in April. I haven't seen that many Virginia folks here yet. My bro' lives in York Co. and his wife grew up in Hampton. So I'm down that way every now and then.

How long is the waiting list? I was told at the info seminar here that the time from first consult to surgery was three months. I want to get it done this summer while my daughter is out of school, so that works out pretty well for me.

take care,

Karen

Hi guys! I live in Colorado now but was born and rasie in Va so I hope you dont mind me chiming in. I am pre op but am scheduled for April 13! I cant wait! Each doc is a little different as to what they want/expect for pre op diet. Mine wants high Protein low carb.. southbeach style. Others that I know of want you on a liquid diet before hand. just depends on the doc. I am getting this lined up for after my surgery. Experimenting with different protein drinks.. I am liking some that dont have so high protein that I will need but I use Protein Powder now when I cook so can add that and I have come across a liquid protein! It doesn't taste bad.. I add it to my Breakfast smoothies I make in the morning. I am sticking to my smoothies for breakfast now because I cant stand to eat in the morning. But that is it.. I figure that I will be tired of a liquid diet aftwards and dont want to get burned out on it before the surgery. So.. that is my answer to your question of starting the liq. diet before hand - but I would ask what does your doc recommend?

Best wishes!

Hi Everyone!

I live in Chesapeake, VA and scheduled to have my surgery 4-9 with the Weight Loss Surgical Center - in Hampton, VA. My insurance won't pay -- so I am self-pay.

Nice to see some neighbors (old and new) out here! Good luck to all of us!

Welcome to LBT Allison

I have travelled to VA twice and I love it down there!!! what a beautiful place to live!

Best wishes on beginning your journey to Lapbanding...keep us posted.

:P becky

I do enjoy Virginia. It is a wonderful place to live! The laws here are pretty screwy but you have to take the good with the bad. I moved here from Riverside, California in the early 90's and don't regret it. Sourthern Ca is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there again if I can help it! Born and raised there, I had enough of So. Ca. to last a lifetime. Northern Ca reminds me of here though, I would go back there!

So, I just called my Surgeon's office and left a voicemail for the coordinator to call me back because I feel like I am off-track. I need to regroup and keep my eye on the prize, so-to-speak. With Norfolk Surgical Group, you are required to go to 2 Support groups before you can be scheduled for surgery. They happen on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month. My Surgeon is booked until June, but I fear that I won't be able to get banded until July at this rate! My new-year's resolution was to have the surgery and lose 30 lbs., by independence day. At the time it seemed very realistic! It's looking less and less realistic now. I am so sick of yoyo dieting. I am a very strong person and would stay on a liquid diet for a year if necessary. I was on slim fast for years and also California Slim and a few others so drinking my meals is certainly nothing new to me. What brands have you found helpful so far as the shakes go? What is the name of the liquid protien Suppliment that you like? Have you found that it affects your Bowel Movements negatively? Please share your info and I am not one to say 'that was TMI' - there are not many subject that I find Taboo. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Alison:hungry:

Hello

I am from Central VA. Had my surgery 1/19/07 @ St. Mary's hospital in Richmond. I am single with no kids but have plenty of supportive family and friends. Plus two co-workers who had lapband surgery before me so we suport and encourage each other. Also a supportive boyfriend. Now that I am on "regular" foods, I rely alot on of Healthy Choice/Lean Cuisine type microwaveable dinners but I was doing that before surgery because it's just me and I'm not a leftover type person. I am two and a half months post-op and have lost 29 pounds. Kind of at a stall right now in "Bandster Hell" because have slacked up losing and have not had my first fill yet. Apparently that is common and my doctor assures me that I am doing very well. But, I am scheduled to have my first 4/11. Have also been exercising at Curves for three weeks. I never imagined myself doing something like that. It's been an interesting journey thus far that I know will only get better. Good Luck to you.

Alisson:

Have you checked the other area doctors - mine only required 1 support group and they were able to schedule as early as 3 weeks out -- just a thought. The Hampton Collisum is not far from you -- that is where WLSC of Hampton Roads does their surgeries. 757-591-9572.

Good Luck!

Hey Tater Bug,

I just got up enough nerve and I called Dr. K's and I have my consult April 9th!

Hey Tater Bug,

I just got up enough nerve and I called Dr. K's and I have my consult April 9th!

Great --- we are the same day! Good luck! G

Hi GR8, I am just going in for my consultation on the 9th, I wish I was geting banded then. I'm afraid I might chicken out??? I have failed at weight loss attempts sooooo many times! Good luck to you, I'll be looking for your posts!

opps - sorry about that misread.

I have felt like you and even recently. I am drinking these shakes and losing weight - so why pay 17k for surgery - I can lose it. But the truth is that I have and can lose -- I just can't maintain. That is what the band will help me do lose and MAINTAIN-- so I am standing strong now -- that I will be successful and that I have to do this -- it is LIFE or DEATH. It will add many many days to my life and without issues of stroke, heart attack, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, or not being able to walk....

Good luck at the consult -- and as I did -- ask the doctor -- am I a good canidate? Tell him you are scared about being successful -- they will understand - and can give you the facts and advise.

Keep in touch!

G

You are so right on about everything! I too have and can lose but can't maintain and each time I lose, I regain much more!! You are also right on about thehealth issues, I know that my body can't handle another diet and regain. I am at about 270 at a small frame, I am only about 5'2"(BMI is at 48.8), I already suffer from enough health issues and I hope that if I can do this then I will start to feel better in many ways! Thanks for the pep talk, you are right!

Best of luck to you on the 9th, I will be thinking about you!