Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok. My story is kind of long. To make it short...I had lapband surgery in 2009. I had a bad experience and ended up with atelectasis and was in the hospital for four days. Also, I wasn't given a lot of education about the band before hand. I now refer to my previous surgeon as "the chop shop."

I had my band removed after having far too many complications from it. It was removed by my current surgeon in March 2013. He tried to convince me to revise to a sleeve during the band removal but I didn't feel like I knew enough about it to have it done. I didn't want to make that mistake twice! He was super understanding and said we should take the band out and if I wanted a sleeve or bypass I could come back anytime.

Nine months later I went back after doing a lot of my own research and consulting with my GP, OB (had a baby five months before my band was removed), and my endo (type 1 diabetes for 23 years). They all supported or suggested the gastric sleeve.

I have been approved and done all the necessary steps to have surgery. I am scheduled for Feb. 13th.

My question to everyone is how anxious/nervous are you/were you before surgery? I can't tell if my anxiety stems from the awful experience I had the first time around or if its normal. Last night I had a full panic attack and told my family I couldn't go through with it. Of course as soon as the attack ended I felt like a fool and today have felt completely at peace with the idea of surgery. I have had WLS before. I know how eating will be different and how it may effect my relationships. I just can't figure out if the anxiety is typical pre-op jitters or the fear of failing again? Possibly a mix of both?

Anyway, enough of my story. I would love to hear how you might be feeling or did feel pre-op and maybe your (healthy) coping mechanisms. Thanks for taking time to read this!

Its Simple!!! Simply said. Had it 7 months ago... no problems and up and walking within hours after recovery

Chris

Jencovi, I am wishing you peace and relaxation through this process. You have been through so much. I am 67 and the sleeving 11/18 was a piece of cake. Same for my husband sleeved 12/2. I went shopping 4 days after surgery. No nausea, no problems whatsoever. I am off Metformin and 1 of my blood pressure pills. My husband (Type 2 diabetic) is on a low dose of insulin, and his blood sugar averages 110 daily, not 40 or 400 daily.

We were very nervous about this surgery and it was 10 times easier than expected. Fear is just the unknown. Life is so good and it will be for you.

Unfortunately, there are surgeons interested in money for weight loss surgery and not concerned about the health of their patients. I am sorry for all the pain and suffering you have been through.

I was raised a Catholic and even though I didn't get married in the church, I went back to church and started praying big time before my surgery. My faith provides a lot of comfort for me when I am facing a new or unknown situation. I'm not saying run out to a Catholic Mass but if you can find something in the spiritual arena that brings you comfort it might help you get through this. I know reconnecting with my faith helped me.

I had my surgery on 12/11/13 and yes it was a challenge and the pain from the CO2 was a beotch! but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I would never change how i feel now with how I felt BEFORE surgery. I had pain in every step I took, felt exhausted ALL the time and was miserable. A short period of pain in exchange for LIVING my life now was so worth it to me.

I wish you blessings, a successful surgery and EASY recovery.

Kathleen

Jencovi, I am wishing you peace and relaxation through this process. You have been through so much. I am 67 and the sleeving 11/18 was a piece of cake. Same for my husband sleeved 12/2. I went shopping 4 days after surgery. No nausea, no problems whatsoever. I am off Metformin and 1 of my blood pressure pills. My husband (Type 2 diabetic) is on a low dose of insulin, and his blood sugar averages 110 daily, not 40 or 400 daily.

We were very nervous about this surgery and it was 10 times easier than expected. Fear is just the unknown. Life is so good and it will be for you.

Thank you Linda. I am so happy to hear you and your husband have both had the surgery and both feel great! That's so encouraging. Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately, there are surgeons interested in money for weight loss surgery and not concerned about the health of their patients. I am sorry for all the pain and suffering you have been through.

I was raised a Catholic and even though I didn't get married in the church, I went back to church and started praying big time before my surgery. My faith provides a lot of comfort for me when I am facing a new or unknown situation. I'm not saying run out to a Catholic Mass but if you can find something in the spiritual arena that brings you comfort it might help you get through this. I know reconnecting with my faith helped me.

I had my surgery on 12/11/13 and yes it was a challenge and the pain from the CO2 was a beotch! but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I would never change how i feel now with how I felt BEFORE surgery. I had pain in every step I took, felt exhausted ALL the time and was miserable. A short period of pain in exchange for LIVING my life now was so worth it to me.

I wish you blessings, a successful surgery and EASY recovery.

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

Yes. My first surgeon was only in it for money. The surgeon I have now (who also removed my band last year) is wonderful. I can tell he genuinely cares for his patients. He didn't try to push me in to anything and let me take my time to research what I wanted (if I wanted it at all).

I love to pray. Yes, some may roll their eyes at that. But I do find faith is the greatest comfort. I appreciate that reminder.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I'm glad to hear how much better you feel. I feel sick and miserable almost every day. I have a one year old daughter and I put on a happy face for her and we are very active but I never feel well while playing with her. And I know one day she will catch on. I was recently told by all of my doctors that I should not get pregnant again until my blood sugars are under control. My husband and I weren't expecting to have our first baby when we did, but are extremely happy and ready for another. It was a huge shock when every one of my doctors said I could get sick and suffer major complications if I got pregnant again. The combination of always feeling tired and sick with being told no more kids for now was my light bulb moment.

Again, thank you for the reminder and sharing with me.

Hello,

I'm sorry I made this very long, but when it Comes to it, I have a lot to say! :)

My name is Ashley and I am 21 years old. I was sleeved January 7,2014. My surgeon said I was a great Candidate for this surgery because I am young and was still healthy. I was extremely scared for my surgery as it was my first major surgery. This experience was a lot better than I expected. The staff at memorial Hermann in Houston Texas were wonderful! They managed my pain took great care of me.

Going home was when reality hit. I no longer had my nurses and I didn't have my pain pump so I had to be a big girl lol. The pain for me was about a 6 but keep in mind I am a baby and I have low pain tolerance! But I read that everyone else's pain was very low which is awesome.

Today, 2.5 weeks later,I feel almost back to my old self. I only have soreness in 2 incisions but I can get up and walk as I please with no problem. Drinking liquids have become easier as I can take bigger sips now and not be terrified lol.

Although this surgery has changed my lifestyle 100% and after all I went through with the procedure, I do not regret it and I don't think you will. It's understandable that your scared bc of your past experiences, but i have never read or heard anything negative about this procedure. I truly feel you will love this!

Good luck and god bless ????

Hello,

I'm sorry I made this very long, but when it Comes to it, I have a lot to say! :)

My name is Ashley and I am 21 years old. I was sleeved January 7,2014. My surgeon said I was a great Candidate for this surgery because I am young and was still healthy. I was extremely scared for my surgery as it was my first major surgery. This experience was a lot better than I expected. The staff at memorial Hermann in Houston Texas were wonderful! They managed my pain took great care of me.

Going home was when reality hit. I no longer had my nurses and I didn't have my pain pump so I had to be a big girl lol. The pain for me was about a 6 but keep in mind I am a baby and I have low pain tolerance! But I read that everyone else's pain was very low which is awesome.

Today, 2.5 weeks later,I feel almost back to my old self. I only have soreness in 2 incisions but I can get up and walk as I please with no problem. Drinking liquids have become easier as I can take bigger sips now and not be terrified lol.

Although this surgery has changed my lifestyle 100% and after all I went through with the procedure, I do not regret it and I don't think you will. It's understandable that your scared bc of your past experiences, but i have never read or heard anything negative about this procedure. I truly feel you will love this!

Good luck and god bless ddc9e

Hey Ashley! Thanks for your story. You never have to apologize to me for typing too much. I'm a wordy woman myself. Lol.

Glad to hear your recovery is going so well. I am 29 (not quite as young as you) and have had many surgeries in my life. I have a feeling my pain may be greater this go around because I have scar tissue from the band placement and removal. But I can handle it.

Going home is definitely the hard part. I think the best part of the crappy experience I had is feeling more prepared for the lifestyles changes and recovery period.

Please keep me update on your progress! I'm still a month away and would love to get any info I can!