Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for questions to ask my Surgeon

I'm suddenly overwhelmed at the idea of my first appointment with my surgeon, that my mind has emptied out and I've lost ever question I had. SO, I though I would ask you. What questions did you or do you wish you would have asked your doctor prior to your surgery. Hopefully, this time tomorrow I will be on my pre-op diet plan.

Questions, please. :P

Which surgery are you having? Different questions for each! Our surgeon provided us with notebooks of instructions, guidelines, foods, stages, etc. I hope you get that from your surgeon!

Is like to have the sleeve. I haven't been able to sleep at all... smh

Edited by fit2Bme2014

I asked if I would have to go home from the hospital with a drain. for their diet (food) phases (every surgeon is different). I.e. how long on full liquids, pureed, soft foods. Just so you know what to expect. How Long he/she expects you to be off of work for recovery.

good luck at your appointment and upcoming surgery!

Will I be giving myself blood thinner injections once I'm released?

Will I have an abdominal binder?

Will I have a catheter?

How will you close my incisions? Staples, glue, steri strips, or a combination? (I asked this Bc I'm allergic to the adhesives on steri strips)

Will I be given any pain and antibiotic prescriptions, and if so can I pick them up prior to surgery so I won't have to go and stand in line for three hrs and get them filled?

If I'm given an antibiotic I always ask for a prescription of diflucan. I get yeast infections with antibiotics and I'll be prepared with a couple of diflucan tablets.

How many nights is "standard" in the hospital?

Thanks! I couldn't sleep but when I calmed down, your answers, along with the 30 others I came up with in the hour our so before my appointment, made me look 'intelligent' to my doctor. She didn't bat an eye when I pulled at my list and even thanked me and told me not to apologize when I tried. I just really want to go in to this with my eyes wide open with appropriate expectation. ;)

Thanks! I couldn't sleep but when I calmed down, your answers, along with the 30 others I came up with in the hour our so before my appointment, made me look 'intelligent' to my doctor. She didn't bat an eye when I pulled at my list and even thanked me and told me not to apologize when I tried. I just really want to go in to this with my eyes wide open with appropriate expectation. ;)

Are there any to add to my list? I don't wanna forget anything. I have one more meet with surgeon and then start my preop

Are there any to add to my list? I don't wanna forget anything. I have one more meet with surgeon and then start my preop

When is your appointment? I just wrote a blog about my first appointment so I could get it out of my head. I'll write another about all the questions I came up with. Maybe I'll post it to the forum too. :)

My surgeon appt is the 3rd of February. So, a little less than 3 weeks away. I don't know how to get to blogs on the phone app :(