Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long to take off work?

Hello!

Just joined today after getting frustrated with not finding the answers I needed off the internet. I started the Lap-Band process 5 months ago. My insurance requires me to complete a 6 month diet plan with my doctor before surgery. I just completed my fifth month on Friday! As the surgery is getting closer, I have so many questions.

I'm trying to plan how much time I will need to take off work. I asked my doctor and he said that I could have the surgery on a Friday and go back that Monday. But the more I read on the internet I'm seeing that people take anywhere from 2-6 weeks! The doctor said because I'm young and don't have any other medical concerns (besides my weight, of course) I should have a speedy recovery. My work requires me to request the time off in advance. Any suggestions?

Also depends on what you do? Physical or not?

I also planned on having surgery on a thursday and going back on monday. I then decided before having the surgery that it was just pushing myself too much. So I had my surgery on a thursday, stayed overnight in hospital-standard for my doctor- and went back to work the following thursday. I am glad I took the extra days just for myself to feel better and to truly wrap my head around what I had done and what I had to do in the initial days.

I teach small groups of students, so my job is not physical in any way and I had no issues with the surgery and healed well. I didnt need to use any pain killers, just liquid tylenol was okay for me and I'm glad I had those extra days home to rest and recuperate.

It is surgery and your mind and body needs time....hope that helps you some.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Not sure how old you are but I'm 42 and I took a week off from work.( i sit at a desk!) I have to go through a medical review before my company lets me come back to work My doctor had to fax papers to our company doctors to review then let me know when it was ok. So I was off about 2 weeks. I'm going in for tomorrow to have my lap band removed and revise it to the gastric sleeve because my band has slipped twice in the last 2 1/2 years. Once it slips the chances of it slipping again is high so be careful and follow your doctors orders on eating. Small bites, chew really really well and it is a tool not a miracle worker! Good Luck!

I took two weeks off, but I'm a nurse and do a lot of pushing and pulling. Very physical. If I had had a desk job, my surgeon would have sent me back on Monday after a Wednesday surgery. I was glad to have the time off because it was the holidays, but I do think it's good to get up and get moving asap.

Would your job allow you to use a couple of vacation days that next week?

Thank you for the suggestions! I work a front desk at a hospital. I'm up and down a lot but don't do anything strenuous. Occasionally I'll have to transport a patient but that's not very often. I have about a week and a half of paid time off but was debating if I should use it all or not.

I hear about band slipping, is that common? On Friday my doctor mentioned the sleeve but I had my heart set on the lap band. I heard it's an easier procedure, less invasive.

From what I've seen about 20% of bands slip. My doctor had said the sleeve has smaller incisions. With the lap band you have to make the port incision a little bigger to accommodate the band and port going through the incision. With the sleeve the incisions can be smaller since the portion of the stomach coming out can go through a smaller hole. He also said the common term with the sleeve is "Sleeve them and leave them". Sounds cold but it means there is less follow up with the sleeve than with the band. I was constantly thinking my band had slipped ( which it did twice) going in for fills and unfills and all that.Plus when i would bend over i could feel the port move or feel like it flips a bit. Kinda hard to describe what i feel, I just know it felt weird. Also now when i do get down to my goal weight, I didn't want where the port is showing this bump. With the sleeve you pretty much sleeve them then that's it. Just your follow up appointments and that's it. My doctor doesn't do much banding anymore, unless a persons insurance won't cover the sleeve and he hopes he doesn't have to do anymore bypasses with all the malabsortion and other problems that it causes.But each person has their reasons for doing the weight loss surgery they chose. Good Luck with your band. You'll do just fine with it!

Sleeved and happy! Would have never considered any surgery til the sleeve came along. Please pay attention to all the posts when you are looking to have WLS. Everything is right here. Best wishes!

I would suggest taking a week off whether your doctor requires it or not IF you have the time and can get off work. You probably could go back on Monday after a Friday surgery but you won't want to. You'll still be a little sore and tired from the surgery and you'll still be adjusting to your post-op diet and all of that. Give yourself some time to rest & recover, if you can.

re: "I asked my doctor and he said that I could have the surgery on a Friday and go back that Monday. But the more I read on the internet I'm seeing that people take anywhere from 2-6 weeks!"

My bet is the doctor estimate is right....

At 58 my surgery went so well I was headed home the same day, had a couple days recovery & by day 3 was (somewhat feebly, given) carrying a few bits of firewood in for the stove. I gladly returned to modified work by day 5.

I've heard of a few folks needing as much as a week, but we are all different. IIRC, it was near the 3rd week postOp I went on a solo road trip of 4 or 5 days. Learning how to eat in mushie stage in a non-protected envionment was a challenge.

Certainly read up on all options to your situation and explore any questions before you consent.

Sleeve wasn't an option when I had my Band done in 2004....yet given a bit of hassle and annoyance at times, I'm satisfied it saved my life, and consider myself a Happy Bandster. Should the time come for revision, replacement or repair, certainly I would hope

further advanatages were obtainable.

As it is, the worst day of my PostOp Band life has been better than the Best day of the last 5 years PreBand.

If anyone asks about the (small) port bulge, I tell them that's my Alien Implant.

Good luck in your journey.

Edited by Jack

I took 7 days off, I work retail an d it was the perfect amount of time off. T he first 2 days I was a bit worn out from surgery, anesthsia etc, but by the 3rd day I felt great and raring to go other than the soreness on the left side. By day 7 I went back to work and had no problems at all. Good luck to you !!