Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So the other night I had to go to a dietary instruction class to get some info on the post-op diet requirements and a nurse came in to talk to us about our hospital stay as well (my surgeon requires and overnight stay). The class was a mix of people getting different bariatric surgeries so all of the information she gave us didn't always apply to me. She mentioned that before surgery we would get a Lovenox (blood thinner) injection to help prevent blood clots and that after surgery we would have to give ourselves Lovenox injections for two weeks. My mom is a medical assistant and she said that didn't make sense. Perhaps it was specific to the other bariatric surgeries, not band patients and the nurse forgot to mention it? Did anyone else who have to do two weeks of injections after surgery?? Thanks in advance for any input you have! :)

I had to stay three days in the hospital after my band and yes I got them all three days I was there. I didn't have to take them when I got home but it is a normal thing that a lot of post op patients have to do because everyone doesn't deal with pain well and would stay in bed instead of walking around.

I stayed overnight and didn't get discharged until late in the afternoon and they gave them to me in the hospital but I did not have to have anything at home.

Let us know when you find out the answer.

Good luck to you!

Well...I had a shot in the hospital for the lapband but nothing once I got home. However, when I had my hip replacement surgery, that was a whole other story. I had the shots in the hospital, and in the rehab, and for two weeks after I got home. But the hips were a way more invasive surgery with a much more intense recuperation than the lapband. I would check with your doctor to make sure what he/she recommends for the lapband patients.

I had one prior to surgery but didn't have to take any afterwards. My surgery was outpatient so they gave that to me along with all the other pre-op stuff that morning while I was still in the pre-op area. My surgeon's office has a whole book of info that they give you prior to surgery and the lovenox injections are included for band patients. I asked him about it at my pre-op appt. and he told me that I wouldn't have to do them because of my size. He said that some patients do actually go home on Lovenox injections but it's usually people who have a BMI at the time of surgery of at least 50 or greater. Anyone who has a BMI less than that at surgery can usually(depending on their mobility) go home without them provided they are mobile and can/will walk a lot at home, as instructed.

All abdominal and lower body surgeries will have blood thinners as part of post-op procedure. It's not a big deal, unless you are needle-phobic. In any case, the needle is quite fine and for me pretty painless. When I had ankle surgery several years ago, with a cast for six weeks post-op, I had 90 days of blood thinner shots. By the end you couldn't find a place on my belly or thighs that didn't bear the mark. But I'd rather endure that than blood clots, which are among the risks post-op for lapband surgery.

All abdominal and lower body surgeries will have blood thinners as part of post-op procedure. It's not a big deal, unless you are needle-phobic. In any case, the needle is quite fine and for me pretty painless. When I had ankle surgery several years ago, with a cast for six weeks post-op, I had 90 days of blood thinner shots. By the end you couldn't find a place on my belly or thighs that didn't bear the mark. But I'd rather endure that than blood clots, which are among the risks post-op for lapband surgery.

Not "all" sweetie. I didn't. This is my first time hearing of having a pain thinner shot. I had to wear these weight looking things during my surgery on the ankles.

I didn't even get lovenox preop. I was told to wear teds but they were thigh highs and kept rolling down so they weren't doing me any good. , so I wore them at night and during the day I stayed mobile and drank plenty of fluids. But that was me. My advise to anyone is to follow their surgeons advise or be willing to suffer the consequences. Definitely call your serge on about it.

I didn't even get lovenox preop. I was told to wear teds but they were thigh highs and kept rolling down so they weren't doing me any good. , so I wore them at night and during the day I stayed mobile and drank plenty of fluids. But that was me. My advise to anyone is to follow their surgeons advise or be willing to suffer the consequences. Definitely call your serge on about it.

I also had teds while in the hospital and sequential compression devices. Of course the SCD's were discontinued upon discharge and I came home with the TEDS on but I took them off sometime that night and didn't put them back on. I was up and moving though.

Thanks to all who posted their experiences! It seems that it varies surgeon to surgeon so when I go in for my next appointment I will ask what he requires post op in terms of blood thinners :)

yes i had to do this for 2 weeks after surgery

the dr wrote me a prescription and the pharm gave me a disposal plastic box to put the prefilled shots in (that we took back for them to dispose of)..the needles were very small and my hub injected me in the morning and at night...it did not hurt one bit but my stomach was bruised..

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

I had my visit with the pulmonologist this week and he gave me a prescription for post-op Lovenox (blood thinner). I have to give myself injections once a day for a week after surgery. Turns out my surgeon does do this for all bariatric patients. It's also especially important for me because my dad has a history of blood clots. I'm not thrilled about the injections but I know they are tiny needles and won't hurt :) Just wanted to give the update to everyone who was wondering about it!

My very good friend died of a blood clot after knee surgery 5-6 yrs ago. She was home two days & was feeling awful (not doing her exercises) and they rushed her by ambulance to emergency and she died of a blood clot before her family got there. I think W.C. insurance paid the family quite a sum on wrongful death claim. . . . so I've noticed everyone, including myself, has had those little "in the stomach" shots ever since that time at our medical centre! Most likely many medical centres were having that happen after surgery & sending folks home too soon!