Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone - New to the site

Hi everyone,

I'm Carrie and I am 8 weeks post-op from RNY with 55 pounds down as of today! Here's my story and I can't wait to hear yours too...

I was a competitive athlete my entire life, but never developed a healthy relationship with food. I was an overachiever, over-involved and always on the go so food was something I could squeeze in when I had time or when I was training, something I could manipulate to get whatever results a coach wanted from me. In college I found myself in a very unhealthy relationship that lasted about 7 years and that is when I really began to gain weight.

Throughout my 20s, I became very successful very quickly professionally and always felt like my weight wasn't an issue for me in any way personally, socially, or professionally. I also never had medical problems associated with being overweight so, while I recognized I needed to lose weight and had success losing weight on my own off and on, I was moving 100 mph in my life without placing any emphasis on myself.

In late 2012, I realized that I had become lost in the whirlwind of my life and body was a reflection of that. I had an "a-ha" moment in April 2013 that I had to create major change to this life that everyone on the outside looking in thought was fantastic, but I knew was a facade. In June 2013, I found myself in the hospital for 5 days with what ultimately was an severe anxiety attack and several GI issues and that was it for me.

I started with my surgeon at the beginning of July and was approved for surgery in mid October after a 3 month diet documentation required by my insurance. Surgery was November 4, 2013, about 6 weeks after my 33rd birthday, and is one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself!

As part of my personal growth experience, I decided to be honest with the world about my journey and have been blogging as I go. This is an important step for me because as a marketing person, I have always managed perceptions of me and my life very purposefully. The blog is open, honest, and forces me to get real about life in general! Check it out if you want to hear about the misadventures I encounter and life lessons I find along my journey - Life...with a side of Carrie.

Carrie

Hi Carrie! Welcome to the site! Congrats on your surgery and weight loss. We are the same age and I had surgery April 2013. Just wanted to say welcome!!

Carrie. I just wanted to let you know I read your blog. I think you're awesome. I admire your attitude and self-confidence. Keep up the great work.

Hi Carrie! Welcome to the site! Congrats on your surgery and weight loss. We are the same age and I had surgery April 2013. Just wanted to say welcome!!

Thanks so much and congrats on your weight loss!

Carrie. I just wanted to let you know I read your blog. I think you're awesome. I admire your attitude and self-confidence. Keep up the great work.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my thoughts. Feel free to share if you think they will resonate with some one else!

Hey beautiful , congratulations and welcome to the site. My surgery isn't until feb 11th it has been postponed from jan 28th. Can't wait to see your progress!!!

Hey beautiful , congratulations and welcome to the site. My surgery isn't until feb 11th it has been postponed from jan 28th. Can't wait to see your progress!!!

Thanks so much and congrats on your upcoming surgery!