Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got my band on nov 5th and I'm just starting to get used to it now. My biggest problem is that I am in the habit of eating fast (my husband says I eat like a snake!!), and consequently don't chew my food enough. I'm having to learn to adapt to small mouthfuls that are well chewed! I've been sick quite a lot, as the big mouthfuls are painful and so I have to get them out. I'm concerned that being sick a lot may cause slippage of my band.

I guess my timing was bad as I was just beginning to eat normally post op as Christmas came around, so despite the smaller portions, it was the usual Christmas food!!

Does anyone have any tips on how they adapted to the change in eating methods? I think it's better to hear from people who have actually been through it rather than the nursing support.

Thanks in advance!

Claire xx

Do you have a droid or IPhone? There is a free app called 'Eat Slower'. You can set the timer anywhere from 20 seconds to 3 minutes. Each time it chimes you take a bite and chew.

I'm a couple of week before your surgery date (Oct. 23rd) and I'm in the same boat... but I don't throw up. I just had my 2nd fill and although it's definitely tighter than the 1st fill I don't think I'm there yet. I too eat WAY too fast so I'm trying to savor every little bite but I'm not doing so great at it - plus I'm an eater on the go.

I'm hoping others will chime in here too - I need more insight and suggestions - the app is a good idea but it's more to it then timing.

I can also drink while I eat - easily - can you?

The getting stuck isn't enough to slow you down?

My hubby has the same problem he was always rushing through his meal like he had a fire to run to. (He is a fireman but that's beside the point)

He has gotten stuck a couple of times since being banded and now he eats much more slowly. Sometimes we sit down together and the shoveling mentality starts and I can tell by the way he lifts the fork. I used to issue a gentle reminder but once he got stuck pretty good that was all it took.

Bringing up food all the time because your eating mechanics are not there is no good. When your about to have a meal make an event of it. Sit down like it's a special occasion and your eating with Royalty (and you are cause your there!)

cut your food take a bite put your fork down. Savor the flavor, the taste the texture of the food. Chew chew chew, swallow and repeat the whole thing again.

Don't pre-cut up all your food, do it one fork full at a time so you are forced to slow down between bites. Sometimes when I have people talking at me through dinner I will get stuck, so I try to limit dinner conversation sometimes as well. Especially if it's been a long stressful day.

Good luck, you will get the hang of it.

Eating and drinking together is a funny one for me! If I've eaten too quick or not chewed enough, drinking is a problem. But if I have done it right then I can tolerate a drink, sipped. I've had one fill so far (10ml band and 4ml added during the op, fill on dec 13 and I had another 2ml added, taking me to 6ml altogether). I don't think I'm "there" yet so I will try another fill, my dietician is ringing on jan 28 to discuss progress. I'll get there though :o) xx

i eat small bites i chew well but i am still working on eating to fast. my husband will let me know if he notices how fast i am eating. as i near the green zone this eating to fast is becoming a big big problem. i wish i had really worked harder on it while my band was still open more. i am going to try a timer because i cant' do it just by thinking it. good luck

Claireabelle, I was banded on November 5th, too! Do you have little forks and spoons? I think those have helped me take smaller bites -- and using a very small bowl so I am not taking too much food in the first place (being a finisher is not a good thing -- I need to stop when I'm feeling I should stop, not when food is gone as in the past). I have practiced some eating with the clock. A sixty second wait is excellent mind training. Mindfulness has to be learned but then it becomes subconscious. The hardest thing for me is putting the utensil down and waiting to pick it up again. I want to load my fork again right away. That's a no-no. I try to notice what my hands and mind are doing when I'm in-between bites and the way the food changes in taste the longer it is being chewed. There are several factors -- how big the bite is, how well it is chewed and how long between bites. The esophagus sends the signal to the brain that it's getting full. We need to give the esophagus time to do it's little squeezes to accomplish that so the feeling of satiety takes place. And we need to stay aware so we can listen and watch for the signal to stop. If you're overriding that and having a little too much then you will bring it back up. I have a horror of throwing up so that is working in my favor, I think. I don't want to get sick so I'm on guard. Still loving food, which is good, just in small amounts. It's the intervals I'm working on now as I don't need to eat again for 4-5 hours but of course can go back much sooner. Good luck to you, and don't get too tight if you're still having difficulty at the stage you're in!

Jim, I'm going to go find that app!

After consistently allowing your self to get stuck because of big bites will tend to make you remember to take smaller bites and chew, chew, chew. I have to consistently tell myself to slooooowwwww doooowwwnnnn. Take your time. Eating is not a marathon. I put my fork down, I play with my phone by reading articles on the Internet, come here on the forum. Whatever it takes to distract me to keep from eating too fast until it finally sunk in. I now automatically eat slower and take my time. Good luck. You will get there.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the tips. It's reassuring to know that a lot of others have gone through the same thing. I will definitely try the small cutlery (I actually have a set that my nephew uses when I'm babysitting for him!), and distracting myself between bites is also a fab idea! I think it's just a function of modern life, we are all so busy these days that eating is something that we rush so that we can get back to our other stuff! I need to concentrate more on my eating, and I've read a lot of good ideas here so thank you all very much! xx