Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Secret Lapband.

Gail, I can certainly understand! My husband just retired after 32 years w/ a state institution. The pay wasn't always the best and he put up w/ a lot of crap, but the benefits made it worth it. A round of bad health problems (kidney transplant, open heart surgery) left him off of work for 18 months. We were so thankful that he had accumulated sick time. Good health insurance helped him use the necessary tools to recoup. Sometimes you have to do what is necessary to provide for yourself and your family. I do hope things will settle down for you at work. Take care.:D

Gail,

Just to add to what Darcy (Nightingale) said above, I have a friend (who happens to be a doctor) who suffered from terrible acid reflux and gastritus and had to have surgery. I was interested to hear that his surgery involved placing a band around the bottom of his esophogus, so that the stomach acid could not travel back up and continue to irritate the esophogus. He said it affected his ability to eat solid foods for a long while---he could eat them, but had to do so in moderation, and slowly and carefully. Incidently, he's a slender fellow, who had no need of surgical control of his food intake.

So, as Darcy says, your story about surgery for reflux and the consequent changes to your eating habits makes perfect sense, in terms of the surgery you told everyone you had.

Incidently, while I shared my banding experience with a few close friends and with family, I was extremely discrete about it to those I am not truly close with, such as work associates. I told everyone I was having endometrial surgery---I figured that was vague and unpleasant enough so that people wouldn't pry, and they didn't.

If you think you're too tight, absolutely get a slight unfill. But I, who am not too tight (I think I'm pretty much just right in restriction) also find steak really difficult to eat and to keep down. It's just one of those foods (like bread and pasta) that I do my best to avoid. Contingency plans, such as Protein bars or shakes carried to events where you're not sure what's on the menu, aren't a bad idea, and they needn't conflict with your reflex surgery story at all. Just say you have to be on a careful, strict diet--doctor's orders!

Best of luck,

Sheila

Originally posted by Shegill

Gail,

I have a friend (who happens to be a doctor) who suffered from terrible acid reflux and gastritus and had to have surgery. I was interested to hear that his surgery involved placing a band around the bottom of his esophogus, so that the stomach acid could not travel back up and continue to irritate the esophogus. He said it affected his ability to eat solid foods for a long while---he could eat them, but had to do so in moderation, and slowly and carefully. Incidently, he's a slender fellow, who had no need of surgical control of his food intake.

That is exactly how my band surgeon explained that the Lapband would help someone who already has reflux/hernia before banding!:)

I agree that it's a personal choice whether or not you tell others.

I chose not to tell my mother in law, because she has a comment, an opinion and a 24 hour hotwire to all her cronies.

I warned my family not to tell anyone, as it's my life and only I get to choose who knows.

I chose to be forthcoming at work about my reason for leave, as everyone saw it on the new schedule and several people asked if I were ok.

So far I found that I'm not getting negative response to getting banded, but the idea of my going to Mexico for it seems totally unbalanced to most. I guess before I researched it, it might have seemed that way to me too.

For those I care about I took the time to explain my research, my reason, and the dr/facility I chose.

Instead of going out of my way to make those who don't really matter feel better about what I'm doing for me, I stop them with one line.

When they ask why in the world would you go to mexico??

I simply say as I walk away," I'm going to Tijuana for surgery, because I hear they wash and sharpen all the rocks just before each surgery, and the hut I'm going to has a roof."

Their perplexed and uneasy laugh as I walk away makes me smile everytime...

People are naturally curious, it's how we learn, all of us are blank slates at birth that are educated by the experiences learned from others.

It's only normal that people would inquire into new happenings about those they know, even if they barely know them, as there's always a chance they could learn something useful.

It's those who seek only something to use against another that deserve a great leave'em hanging line. Think of one that fits your circumstance, and if approached, fire away.

Gail, I'm still hiding my band. My boss was concerned because I kept having medical appointments, so I did tell him I had stomach surgery because he knew I was having problems with my hiatal hernia. They asked me if I got it repaired and I said, "yep.' It wasn't even a lie, cuz the doctor fixed my hernia during my band procedure.

It's really simple. Just tell people that large amounts of food really hurt your stomach. Many obese and normal people have hiatal hernias and ulcers. My hernia made eating extremely painful. Nobody needs to know about my band. But I have slowly told several people. I kinda wish I wouldn't... I envy you because you are still so mysterious while I wear my heart on my sleeve.

The way I saw my surgery was like birth and death. I came into the world alone, I'll leave the world alone, and surgery to fix my obesity was only for me... too private, too intimate.

The few people I did tell are always asking me, "Hey, you're not allowed to eat that, are you." I shoulda kept my trap shut.

As far as my going to Mexico for the surgery, I'm getting the craziest responses. So far, nobody cares if they sharpened the tools with rocks - all they want to know is how much a boob job, Tummy Tuck, dental implants or Lipo will cost them. I guess I shoulda brought a menu home from Tijuana.< /p>

Pam, are you really going to TJ next week? Where do you live? I don't need a fill, but I'd like Dr. Kuri to see my incision. It's starting to hurt me a little... maybe that means it's healing? The area under the incision is all hard like a big cyst. Can't be good... I thought it would dissolve, but it's not getting smaller, and it's still leaking.

Yeah, I'm really going!

Tickets bought and all.

I live in central Illinois, near the UofI <GO ILLINI>

I work weekend nights 7p to 7a so I'll work friday, & saturday nights, I'm off sunday, and have to pick my mom up in Indiana on the way to the indianapolis airport at about 4am to be there by 6am monday morning.

Itching is a common healing sign, greater pain and pressure... not usually. The hard lump could be a hematoma forming under the skin, a kind of a scar type thing that might eventually dissolve, but some stick around. Those aren't usually problematic, just annoying. It could be plain old scar tissue from the trauma of your port to the tissue it was embedded in.

I agree that someone needs to see your incision. Is your drainage clear? A little blood tinge is ok, but infection is usually yellowy green or tan in color and/or opaque. Is there an odor? If it smells really bad, it probably is. A body Fluid salty smell or blood odor can be normal.

If you develop a fever that's a bad sign, and you should be seen asap. Watch for redness in a patch that is warm to the touch, another sign of infection, The reddened patch Penni showed in a pic recently made me think of a cellular infection called cellulitis, I meant to post on that, but got busy and forgot about it until just now. Cellulitis is an infection that spreads and can be very serious. It usually means inpatient for iv antibiotic therapy.

If it seems to be getting better, it probably is, just keep it clean, lightly covered with clean gauze to keep the drainage drawn off the wound, and monitor it until you can get in somewhere. As I said before, I think you need to be seen by a doc, probably an infectious disease doc in a wound clinic. They specialize in wound healing and infection treatment.

Let us know how it goes!

I saw my primary care doctor and my gastroenterologist. Neither knew what it was. I was referred to a surgeon, but I'm afraid to ask for any more time off. But it's not infected, and I put clean gauze on every day.

Lisa: When you wanna go to TJ just let me know. I will go with. We just have to coordinate it with when John will NOT be touring so he can take Bradley to and from school.

OR if you wanna go see Dr. Billy come on down and I will drive you there. I have an appt on the 23rd of this month. Wanna go with??

OK, since this thread has veered off anyway...

Pam, I loved your post about the sharpened rocks! I know just what you mean.

A lot of my Anglo friends hear "Mexico surgery" and picture a Pancho Villa imitator swigging a bottle of tequila, strapping patients to the back of a donkey, and wielding a rusty machete -- before taking a siesta in the shade of a giant cactus while a rogue Chihuahua lifts his leg. And if I happen to mention that the operation was less expensive than at a US hospital . . . well, let's just say it doesn't help.

I have nothing but praise for my Mexican surgeon, his staff, and the hospital where I received my band. Most people who make derogatory comments about Mexico haven't been there, and certainly haven't experienced the health-care system. They're probably well-meaning, just worried -- and uninformed.

If Mexican president Vicente Fox discovers that US bandsters could become public relations spokespeople for Mexican health care, we'll probably see charter planes flying to surgical centers.

Meanwhile, Gail, how are you doing? Any news on the secrecy front?

Zoe, I am completely with you. When I mentioned the idea of surgery in Mexico to my dad (about 2 weeks before the actual surgery date) he nearly had a coronary and banned me from the very idea. It is a very good thing he is living across the country from me right now. LOL... I made it down there, got safely back and called him about two weeks later and filled him in. He nearly died on the spot. Talk about SHOCK! His baby girl defied him and went to Tijuana for surgery!!! I still crack up everytime I think of his reaction. Everyone else I knew was concerned about going to Mexico but warmed to the idea as I gave them facts and pictures. All in all, I would agree. The mexico hospital was far more comfortable and tolerable than the american hospitals. Maybe someone needs to give a tip to Vicente Fox? Teresa

Good for you, Teresa!

I've started a new thread on Mexico, beginning with a copy of my comments above. Please go to http://lapbandtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3111 to join in. (Teresa and Pam, I think lots of people would enjoy your posts, so feel free to copy or edit what you've already written here.) Figured this way we can keep on track with "My Secret Lapband."

Hi Zoe,

As Sheila stated,

"I have a friend (who happens to be a doctor) who suffered from terrible acid reflux and gastritus and had to have surgery. I was interested to hear that his surgery involved placing a band around the bottom of his esophogus, so that the stomach acid could not travel back up and continue to irritate the esophogus."

This is the exact story I have been telling all those curious and caring friends and family prior to my surgery and also post surgery. I decided I'll stick to this story. I also decided that my band was adjusted too tight. I gave my fill a try for 2 weeks, but I have only been able to keep down two to three small bites of food each meal (soft or solids). Any more than that comes right up. And the belching was terrible.

Last Monday I asked my surgeon to back off some Fluid from 2cc to 1.75cc. I was told that because my food had been coming up every day for two weeks that they should completely empty the band and wait a week before they try to refill it. They said that this is because I am certain to be swollen and to prevent prolapse. I can eat normally again without digesting air as well. I have found though that I still have difficulty digesting steak and chicken. So I plan to avoid these foods in the future. I will just let my friends know this in advance. I can't wait till next Monday. I didn't realize how much I am now depending on the band to guide me. I believe that with a little less restriction I will be able to convince my friends that I just became swollen from doing too much too soon and am now back to eating Weight Watcher size portions of food and maintain my strict diet.

Pam,

Lots of luck on the 21st! I wish you a speedy recovery and much happiness with your new band. We will all be here for you when you get back.

DeLarla,

I hope the surgeon has an answer for your incision mystery, and it is not serious.

Marie,

I hope your husband is doing well. Did you get your fill last Monday? How are you doing?