Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irregular Pulse?

I don't think this is lap-band related, but thought someone might have some info.

I went to donate blood today, and was turned down because they said I have an irregular pulse, and in feeling it for myself, I sure do. It will beat anywhere from 3 - 10 times, then pause, like it's skipping a beat, then have a stronger beat, then back to the 3 - 10 more normal beats. As far as I know, it's not done this before. I take my pulse while doing Curves, and in all the times it's been taken by medical people, no one has said anything.

I have an appt with my PCP tomorrow, but I'm just wondering if this something I should be really worried about or what? :help:

I don't think this is lap-band related, but thought someone might have some info.

I went to donate blood today, and was turned down because they said I have an irregular pulse, and in feeling it for myself, I sure do. It will beat anywhere from 3 - 10 times, then pause, like it's skipping a beat, then have a stronger beat, then back to the 3 - 10 more normal beats. As far as I know, it's not done this before. I take my pulse while doing Curves, and in all the times it's been taken by medical people, no one has said anything.

I have an appt with my PCP tomorrow, but I'm just wondering if this something I should be really worried about or what? :help:

Lisah, your post was interesting to me because it brought back a lot of memories of when I first started to notice my pulse situation. I also have an "irregular pulse." A lot of things can cause that. Some can be serious. I'm not a doctor so I won't speculate about your situation.

As for me, I have atrial fibrillation. It's basically an electrical problem that triggers a heartbeat in an irregular fashion. They have a procedure now that seems to be very helpful as a permanent cure. They send a catheter into your heart and burn or freeze a couple specific nerves that cause the problem, and it seems to be quite a safe and effective procedure. But they will not do it on me until I lose some weight. They say it is too hard to see inside me through all the fat during surgery with their MRI stuff or whatever they use, and they don't want to deal with moving around a 350 lb guy during the procedure. They say it increases risk to a degree that they don't want to do the procedure. That's one of the reasons I started looking into the lap band. I'm down to 308 now. When I lose another 30 or 40 pounds, they will be willing to do this procedure.

That's my story. It's possible that you have the same thing I have. But you may have something completely different. I've been seeing a cardiologist for a while for this. I think it would be a good idea for you to do the same.

One thing that is an issue for me. With atrial fibrillation the blood does not pump correctly. So, there is a small but still significant risk of blood clots. Blood clots can be a cause of heart attack or stroke, so you don't want them hanging around inside you. A lot of people who have atrial fibrillation take blood thinners for just this reason. I've been on blood thinners for about a year now: Coumadin (or actually, generic Coumadin, which is a lot cheaper). This could be an issue for you too.

Like I say, I'm no doctor and you should not get all worried by anything I say. I don't know squat. All I can say is, it's great that you discovered this. It's much better that you know. There are probably things you can and should be doing about it. Go ahead and see a cardiologist. If possible, try not to worry a lot until you have the facts. Millions of people deal with irregular heartbeats.

I'd be curious to hear about what you learn about your situation, if you feel like sharing it later.

I have a similar problem and I take two pills a day: Diovan and Metoprolol. They discovered the problem in 1998 or 99.

Please have it looked into ASAP.:)

I was ablated for Ventricular Tachycardia (VT) at 371lbs, had no problems at all (it was this past December). Years ago I had a sinus arrhythmia (irregular heart rhythm). I had a stress test and an ECHO and they said it was fine, that that was just the way I was. I was fine and they didn't have to do a thing for me.

Until your doctor does and EKG and talks with you about how you are feeling, perhaps does some labs to make sure your electrolytes are okay, no one can possibly speculate about what may mor may not be going on.

But come back and let us know, will ya?

My DD also has PSVT---that they are monitoring pretty closely---of course as her Mom, it is not close enough!!!

Let us know what your PCP has to say!

Kat

I have a similar problem and I take two pills a day: Diovan and Metoprolol. They discovered the problem in 1998 or 99.

Please have it looked into ASAP.:)

I was on metoprolol (Lopressor) for my V-Tach. I gained 17 lbs on it in five months and even at 100mg twice a day I wasn't controlled. I finally lit a fire under the butt of my electrophysiologist and got ablated. But I understand for some rhythms, that's not going to help.

Now Im dealing with something Atrial (upper chambers of the heart) in nature. May be PSVT, who knows? I've got an appointment today at 1:30pm to find out...

You're problem might be that your potassium was a little low or it could mean something else. The first place to begin is with your MD who will do an EKG. You might also want to see a cardiologist to have a stress test (evaluates left heart function) and an echocardiogram (evaluates heart valves). Based on those findings, you might be asked to wear a 24 hours holter monitor or even something called a 30 day event monitor. The right side of the heart is best evaluated with a heart MRI (special machine).

Electrophysiologic Studies (EPS) are done in a lab and map the electrical conduction of your heart. Your heart is a muscle that is regulated by the electrical system. If your EPS cardiologist finds an electric problem, it can be ablated (killed) using either heat or cold.

Please know that MANY people experience what you descibe and their hearts are fine. I bet you're in that group. :-)

I'm not a pro, but mine does this when I'm under stress or when my blood pressure is high. I have "soldier's heart" which includes an extrasystole beat. It's not life threatening, but is scary as hell. I haven't had it much since I had my bypass, but on occasion, it happens. I just ignore it. I have a bad valve which is much more worrisome. But I'd have it checked out if I were you. Docs are just beginning to understand the women have heart problems as much as men do. I could have died because at the time I was 45, had estrogen and women with estrogen weren't supposed to have heart problems. Luckily, my female doctor didn't agree with that idea and sent me to the cardiologist and I ended up having a double bypass. That was about 14 years ago and I'm still kicking. But have it checked. All women (and men) should have their hearts checked out with more than an EKG. Everyone should have a stress echocardiogram pretty regularly, especially if one is overweight which stresses the heart. They have a new way to do stress echoes which doesn't involved trotting on the treadmill. I can hardly wait for my next one.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU; MY SWEET DAUGHTER!!

Thanks Dad!

The EKG looked just fine. So did all my lab numbers. My doctor said it's nothing to worry about. I'll keep an eye on how I feel, and insist on more tests if I notice any symptoms.

You are in my thoughts today.;)