Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the lap band on 12/18. I lost weight during the first week post-op, but these past two weeks I have gained weight.

I don't get what is happening? I don't feel anthing like I would have expected from speaking with my doctor and the nutritionist. I expected to eat a small amount of food and feel full until my next meal, but that is not happening. I eat he amount of recommended food, but I'm stil hungry aftrwords and I want to eat all day long. I'm not snacking, but the hunger and desre is there. I feel like something is wrong. I have my first post-op appt this Thursday. I'm nervous. Is something wrong? Do I need an adj already? Why am I gaining weiht... Help Plese

Hi there this is all pretty normal.. chances are the swelling is starting to go down from around the band so you had been feeling what the green zone feels like but as that goes it all begins to get lose again and chances are there is nothing actually in your band yet so you aren't actually getting the use of the band. this won't start until you get some fills. and even then it may take many before you get where you need to be. i've had 4 and i'm still up and down on the hunger scale..

keep up the good work you will be just fine

I could have written your topic 2 years ago. And it's a very common topic and I would venture to say more than 50% of WLS patients experience the same.

No one told me about this period, or, if they did, I was daydreaming. Here's how this works for many of us: Irish is right. Your swelling is down now and you won't start to feel any restriction until you get one or more fills. Even then it could take up to 6 fills before this works for you.

The stoma(band opening) is usually left open after surgery. Some docs put a few CCs in but many don't. So, this is just like it was before surgery. For me, I did feel like I could eat less and I did. I only lost 12 lbs the first 2 weeks and then nothing for the next 3.5 months.

You're in what we call "Bandster Hell". You feel like you could eat an entire buffet all the time and feel no restriction to stop you.

B-52(forum member) has a saying: Until there's restriction, it's just another diet.

So, hold on and get those fills asap.

tmf

Nope sounds normal to me. Your swelling has finally gone down and your body is ready to feast again. This period ended for me after I got my first fill, six weeks post-op. From here on out, you can use this feeling as an indicator that you need a fill - eventually you'll be able to tell a few days before the hunger really ramps up. After you get in the green zone, these could easilly be considered periods of Head Hunger, when that happens, fill up on cottage cheese and Water - whatever you can to bring the hunger pangs to a halt quickly.

I'm right there with you. I was banded on 12/16. First two weeks, I lost 8 lbs. this past week I lost one pound but my hunger is increasing so badly. I caved in last night (stress and hunger) and ate a lot more of the leftover Christmas chex mix than I should have. I was hungry all day. I couldn't sleep as I was so hungry. I was feeling depressed. After a bit of watching TV I just had to snack and that was calling my name. I agree we're in bandster hell.

I saw an article that someone posted that helps explain the plateau / gain at this point in the journey. I don't get my first fill till 1/27! This is going to be a long 20 days.

I really appreciate everyones comments. I was definitely not made aware of this period. I understand it, but did not expect it. I have my first post appt tomorrow. Lets see how soon I can get an adjustment.

This post-op pre-fill time is very hard, but the good news is your surgery has taken place and your band is installed. Now to get it working properly, which is the adjustable part of the LapBand. Be frank with your doctor and get a handle on the appointments you'll be having over the coming weeks. For me there are 11 appointment with my surgeon in the first year. Not all for fills, obviously, first one was surgical post-op and others will be just to touch base. It is a partnership and the after-care is very important. You will get there, don't worry!