Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your Biggest Critic(s)

I've learned that my biggest critics, you know the type: overweight themselves, says you don't need it, WLS is the easy road, you look fine the way you are...I could go on and on. It has been my experience that these people secretly want WLS and the positive outcome it gives, but for any number of reasons they can't or don't get it (no insurance, unable to self-pay, other's opinions). The funny thing is, just two weeks ago, my niece who is by all accounts my biggest critic (talk about me like a DOG to our family) told me I looked better FAT (mind you she tips the scales at around 275). Oh...but what a difference two short weeks makes...now she's waiting for her insurance to kick in on her new job so she can also be banded. She's observed my journey and can't get it done fast enough!

Moral: Don't let someone talk you out of something you want for yourself.

Critic/Hater = Envy

my biggest one is myself.....or it use to be

i didnt and dont need anyone else to make me feel like crap as i do a bang up job of that on my own :)......i had to dig down deep....and try one more time and accept help from my lap band doctor who made it simple..he said and i never forgot.....if i dont change what i eat and exercise no WLS would help me....i not for one second ever forgot that.....

people as the OP pointed out, say neg things for many reasons...jealous, envy, they dont know or whatever the case....how we let it affect us is what mattters...i now choose not to respond to those type people...why bother?? ...that is what they want......our results......speaks for itself........

excellent post and so proud of your success pretty

and your name matches you perferctly......PRETTY

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

Thanks CG...you know I'm crazy about you and you're an inspiration!

my biggest one is myself.....or it use to be

i didnt and dont need anyone else to make me feel like crap as i do a bang up job of that on my own :)......i had to dig down deep....and try one more time and accept help from my lap band doctor who made it simple..he said and i never forgot.....if i dont change what i eat and exercise no WLS would help me....i not for one second ever forgot that.....

people as the OP pointed out, say neg things for many reasons...jealous, envy, they dont know or whatever the case....how we let it affect us is what mattters...i now choose not to respond to those type people...why bother?? ...that is what they want......our results......speaks for itself........

excellent post and so proud of your success pretty

and your name matches you perferctly......PRETTY

PT and CG you ladies are on a roll today! I have to say that I have been blessed on this journey. I have lost weight before and heard the haters, and hated on myself and gained it all back enough for 2 of me.

I learned a lot from those experiences, and I learned that I have to be true to myself. I am not perfect, I am about as imperfect as a human can be and I love that about me! I make mistakes, I cry, sometimes bleed or bruise, get back up and do it again better and more aware every time.

So to those haters I say THANK YOU because you have taught me some very valuable lessons!

Since pre-op I have lost nearly 50lbs. it's been slow and some months have been no loss, but I am not complaining because...NONE of it has come back! I have not gained one pound of it back and the scale keeps moving in the direction I want it to move. I'm not always happy to see it be stuck on a number, but I remember that I feel good and I'm doing something right so I keep on going!

So I say let the haters hate if they must, they don't hurt anyone but themselves! Once you get past those kind of people in your life you attract only loving supportive people to be around, and today that's who I have and choose to be by my side and I feel so grateful and blessed to have them!

This is my first post here. I've been told I'm obese with a BMI of 37.5 by my doctors. They say I need to do something or I will get diabetes. I'm pre diabetes now. I also have many other problems related to my obesity. But I have friends and family tell me not to do this surgery. They say, I don't need it, you only need to loose 75 pounds, you can do it with diet, bla bla. If it were that simple I would have done it by now, because I've tried everything possible. I'm doing this for me and no one else. That's why I'm here now. I'm very happy with my decision to go forward with my surgery. Within the next 45 days I will have my date. I'm so excited to get started with my new journey.

Thanks for listening to me rant. Good luck to everyone God bless us all. :)

This is my first post here. I've been told I'm obese with a BMI of 37.5 by my doctors. They say I need to do something or I will get diabetes. I'm pre diabetes now. I also have many other problems related to my obesity. But I have friends and family tell me not to do this surgery. They say, I don't need it, you only need to loose 75 pounds, you can do it with diet, bla bla. If it were that simple I would have done it by now, because I've tried everything possible. I'm doing this for me and no one else. That's why I'm here now. I'm very happy with my decision to go forward with my surgery. Within the next 45 days I will have my date. I'm so excited to get started with my new journey.

Thanks for listening to me rant. Good luck to everyone God bless us all. :)

Good Luck to you, Suzanne!

You are taking care of YOURSELF!

I've learned that my biggest critics, you know the type: overweight themselves, says you don't need it, WLS is the easy road, you look fine the way you are...I could go on and on. It has been my experience that these people secretly want WLS and the positive outcome it gives, but for any number of reasons they can't or don't get it (no insurance, unable to self-pay, other's opinions). The funny thing is, just two weeks ago, my niece who is by all accounts my biggest critic (talk about me like a DOG to our family) told me I looked better FAT (mind you she tips the scales at around 275). Oh...but what a difference two short weeks makes...now she's waiting for her insurance to kick in on her new job so she can also be banded. She's observed my journey and can't get it done fast enough!

Moral: Don't let someone talk you out of something you want for yourself.

Critic/Hater = Envy

Man! My biggest critics have been skinny people and family!! I've been told I just need to "stop eating and try harder." Like, really? I know myself, my body, and what I'm capable of. I know what's best for me. I agree with what you said - don't let people talk you out of something you want for yourself. I think mu family members only do it out of fear something bad is going to happen rather than envy, but still! Lol

My husband, one of my two sisters and girlfriend of mine knows about my getting the band. I don't need to hear the comments and ridicule from my other sister and my mom. Although, it will be my mom staying with me helping me and the kids while my husband is at work. I have a hiatal hernia that will be fixed during my lap band surgery. That is what my mom thinks this surgery is for.

My husband, one of my two sisters and girlfriend of mine knows about my getting the band. I don't need to hear the comments and ridicule from my other sister and my mom. Although, it will be my mom staying with me helping me and the kids while my husband is at work. I have a hiatal hernia that will be fixed during my lap band surgery. That is what my mom thinks this surgery is for.

LOL!! That is EXACTLY what I have told people I had to give an excuse to!! My brother and niece are paramedics and have opinions on EVERYTHING medical!! I just decided that I did this for ME!!! No one else!!! I didn't want to hear anything negative and didn't want anyone trying to talk me out of doing it!! As I proceed on my journey I may change my mind. The people closest to me are the ones that know the truth.