Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Andy here. Me family knicked named me Beamish coz I love it so much. Tis probably me weight gain right there. I'm a farmer, which some people would think being on a farm would help keep the weight down but tis hard. Me wife thinks its the pints.

My wife kept giving me rabbit food (salads) and Soups for a while but i got sick of it. Didn know there were so many different options to weight loss surgery. Now now, its only a thought in the mind now but still, it is something I need to think about. My doctor said i've a BMI of 43.4 and I should be around 25. No chance o that happening naturally. I'm out of breath just bending down to tie my shoes. I'm going to have to give up my farm if I dont loose weight. i've diabetes II, blood pressure and recently been told ive sleep apnea. my health is getting worse unless sometihin is done.

I understand. My BMI was 47 and I'm only 5' tall. I weighed 233. I had high cholesterol, was pre-diabetic, my back, knees, amend feet hurt all the time. I wore slip on shoes because I couldn't tie them and I couldn't put on socks or polish my toenails. I was winded just moving around a little. The worse pain I was in, the less I moved around. I ate more just trying to have some energy. My life was miserable. Then I had my gastric bypass (RNY) on 5/30/13. I've lost 102 pounds - my weight is 131. I feel great, I have tons of energy, I don't get winded anymore, my cholesterol is normal, my back, knee, and foot pain is gone, I can live my life now. It's the best thing I ever did for myself! I never regretted it for a second - I'm very happy! :-)

Losing weight will solve the problems you mentioned. Research it well and ask lots of questions so you completely understand how it works, how it'll affect you, and what the options are. Only YOU can decide if it's right for you. :-)

Congrats Andy on taking the first step, research and ask questions...best of luck to you!

Thanks for the replies. Unless people have experienced obesity, they wont understand what its like to have to carry the extra weight. Ive people trying to tell me to do go for a 5 min jog every day and build it up. Can they not understand i cant bloomin tie my shoes without feeling puffed out. Then Ive others trying to tell me that obesity is a life choice. I dunno bout u but I never chose to be like this.

now, on another forum that i joined recently, i asked the question Sleeve or Bypass. I found out that both are effective but it depends on peoples eating habits.

I learnt that from replies, the Sleeve is generally best suited for those with big portion sizes and the bypass is generally suited for those with sweet tooth. (like me wife)

What if i am a bit of both then?

How long is the hospital stay for a Sleeve and how long for a bypass? Is there any aftercare needed like changing the bandadges or anything like that?

I had RNY. I choose it because of the high long-term success rate. I had surgery in the morning , stayed one night, then went home around 8pm the next evening. The first day no eating or drinking. Then Clear Liquids (water, broth, jello). Then full liquids (protein shake, cream soup). If you can eat and drink without problems, you're urinating, you've been walking, and your pain is managed then you get released. My surgery was laproscopic, which is very common today. Sometimes open surgery is necessary but less common. I had six incisions, one inch or less each. No stitches, just clear skin adhesive (not sure what it's called), no bandages. Very little pain from the incisions, stopped liquid pain meds after 4 days. Gas pains were more of a problem but walking helps ease it. After 4-5 days that went away. Was back at work in two weeks but could've gone back in one. I had a six week lifting restriction - first nothing over 10lbs, then 20lbs. I work in a bank so it's considered light duty. For more physical jobs my surgeon requires four weeks off. As a farmer your job is more strenuous. Could you get help until you're healed if you do this?

Some people have a drain. My surgeon doesn't require one. I don't know why some do and some don't. It sounds uncomfortable. I healed quickly and with no complications without one. Maybe there are factors I'm not aware of that make having one necessary?

Welcome Beamish! I have to tell you I love the way you write with an Irish accent!! Lol!

Both sleeve and bypass are proven to be safe and effective. There are certain medical conditions that may prompt your surgeon to recommend one over the other (for example folks who suffer with GERD are usually advised to have the bypass vs. the sleeve). But in the absence of any medical reasons, your surgeon may leave the decision up to you (my surgeon did). Sleeve gets the nod for a slightly lower complication rate, bypass gets the nod for a slightly higher average weight loss. Bypass usually gets the nod for being more effective at putting type 2 diabetes into remission but there are diabetes success stories with the sleeve as well. Sleeve gets the nod for a slightly shorter recovery time. You get the idea.

As others have said, do as much research as you need to until you're comfortable with one or the other (or both) and ask folks on the forum and especially your surgeon lots of questions.

Whichever way you go, you're gonna love the new you!!

Hi Beamish I work with potato farmers in Idaho! I chose the bypass because I was troubled with portion size and sweet tooth. The latter helped me make the decision for bypass since I'd also have Portion Control with the bypass. I'm 16 days post op and doing well. I miss potatoes and definitely will start having them every once in a while starting 6 mo post op!

Good for you to do research. I had a lap band which worked wonderfully for 1.5 yrs but I have complications with a hiatal hernia recurring so we took out the band and hope the bypass will help since stomach is smaller and stapled.

Good luck to you!