Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet / protein shakes "hacks"

I'm on my 2 week pre-op diet. All I'm allowed is 5 Boost Diabetic/Calorie Smart per day, plus any calorie-free drinks. No offense to the taste-testers at Boost, but this stuff is NASTY.

That said, I thought I'd share a few recipe "hacks" I've come up with to make the drinks more tolerable.

Katy's chocolate Mocha Frosty

Blend together for a long time until smooth and creamy:

1 chocolate Boost

1 tsp instant coffee granules

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

6 ice cubes

Chocolate Almond shake

1 Chocolate Boost

1 tsp almond extract

6 ice cubes

Other flavour combinations I've found that make the Boost more bearable - either mix together and serve over ice, or blend it up in the blender until smooth and creamy:

Chocolate Boost with raspberry extract (find it with the cake decorating supplies)

vanilla Boost with maple extract

Vanilla Boost with vanilla extract

Vanilla Boost with lemon extract

What else has everyone found that makes the pre-op Protein shakes more tolerable?

Thankfully the preop diet is temporary! If you have to do Protein Shakes after the surgery too, I would find a couple of other brands that are comparable in calories, Protein, and nutrition and take them to show your doc or ask him/her next time you see them if you can switch. I'm not sure how they compare, but I find the EAS brand to be very decent.

Best wishes for your preop diet! You can do it!

ewww the Boost are bad,, I recommend Muscle Milk or GNC's Lean Shakes.. either of them are just as nutritional if not more so than boost.. high Protein, low sugar and low calorie...

i *still* use whey Protein *chocolate powder* from Walmart and mix with my FF skim milk......(put in a blender w/ice and i got me a slush).....my dr told me no to ensure and some others due to higher sugar but its whatever your dr recommends you use...the poster above was right, lots of options to pick/choose from.

The SF creamer would make me think carbs..... Have you tried Torani SF syrups? Multiple flavors, no carbs. They are a staple at my house. I even add a little to yogurt.

I was also going to suggest Torani sugar free syrups. They are available in a wide variety of flavors and can really jazz up your Protein shakes. Also, I would suggest switching to different Protein. If the Boost is gross, try a different protein! No sense in double suffering! I mean, seriously! Your doc must be getting a kick back from the company for insisting on that brand! Try samples of different brands until you find something you can tolerate better. I use the Hi Health brand, I like the taste, it is high in protein, has only 2 sugars. Good stuff and Hi Health has a very liberal return policy if you don't like the stuff. :D Most stores will accept returns with a receipt, just ask, before you make a purchase.

If you add 2 Tab. of PB2 (powdered peanut butter) to the chocolate shake, it's really good! And only 45 calories! Like drinking a chocolate Peanut Butter shake. You can find PB2 at most grocery stores - I buy mine at Whole Foods.

I explored considerably with the various spices, nutmeg/cinnamon/ a touch of cadomon now & then, perhaps a drop or 2 stevia, tried a wide variety of Protein powders. Amazing galaxy of choices....some were absolute catastrophe & others were quite pleasant, all within desireable nutrional guidlines.

I rather enjoyed simplifying my taste input as it helped sort out questions I had regarding various food qualities vs 'hunger'.

I had way more trouble identifying the exact nature of 'hunger' from 'non hunger' than I ever imagined. Seems pretty simple now.

Edited by Jack

Thanks for all the tips! I'm currently on Day 5 of my shake drinking hell. Lol. I've been using sugar free carmel Torani Syrup with my vanilla ones. It's okay. It's enough that it takes the chalky taste of it away. Right now I'm experimenting making one of them into a sort of pudding. I can't wait for my surgery on Jan. 30th!