Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you feel like your emotions are complicated and confusing – especially since you started on your lap-band journey? If you’ve struggled to understand why you feel or react the ways you do, even before your lap band surgery, then you might benefit from using a journal. Journaling can help you to identify and express your feelings throughout your journey, and will help to increase self-understanding, which can help you to increase your success before, during and after surgery.

Once you learn to identify and deal with your feelings in positive and productive ways, you have opened the door to greater self-understanding. Jotting down what's going on with you and how you feel about it can help you to get a handle on your emotions.

Writing (or typing) your feelings into a journal (physical or electronic) will help to increase self-understanding in four ways:

1. Journaling enables you to think about and process a particular situation or occurrence with clarity after your emotions have calmed down. When you write about an event, you are processing the event via your words and the description of the event. Recording the situation in writing can help you to notice details you might have missed when the event took place because you were “in” your emotions. The journal entry can thus increase your insight about the situation because your emotions will be calmer after some times has passed.

· While journaling, try to put aside other thoughts and just focus on the situation.

2. Journaling can allow you time to clearly identify your feelings about the situation. Chances are you may not have had time to analyze the event as it occurred. If you pledge to journal, however, you know that you'll take time to reflect on important occurrences and consider how you felt about them.

· Labeling your feelings leads to a better understanding of how you respond in certain situations.

· Use "feeling" words when describing your emotions about an event. Examples of feeling words are, "pumped," "annoyed," "ecstatic," and "angry."

· A helpful sentence structure to use when writing in your journal is, "I felt __________ when ________ happened."

3. Journaling can help you see more clearly why you felt the way you that did. Journaling provides an opportunity to fully explore your emotions about events and come to a conclusion about your feelings. Writing about your feelings can even assist you in handling or heading off negative feelings in the future.

· Knowing why you responded in a certain manner increases self-understanding and also allows opportunities for positive change.

· When completing a journal entry, consider all the reasons why you may have felt or responded in the way you did – include all of this information for future reflection and analysis.

· Theorize and decide which theory best fits to explain your feelings about the situation and your behavior.

4. Re-reading your journal can help to shed light on your journey. When you process events and your feelings about them through journal writing and read about them after a little time has passed, you'll likely see patterns of emotions and responses that recur in similar situations.

· You might see a pattern of behavior that encourages you to work on more openly expressing your emotions once you’ve identified the pattern. Or maybe you want to work to change your pattern of responding – to be more assertive and defend yourself against those who might question your decision to have surgery, or who try to sabotage your efforts.

· Re-reading your journal might help to reveal a pattern of unhealthy reactions to certain situations. Reviewing your entries could help you to take minor setbacks with a more positive attitude – encouraging a commitment toward positive reactions while building a series of successes that will help propel you forward on your journey.

· Take notice of your progress over time in how you respond to situations in positive ways – the way you reacted a few months ago will likely not be the same as your reactions in more recent times. Recognize the strength you’ve built, the successes great and small, and Celebrate your persistence in sticking with the changes you need to make to create a new, healthier life.

· Regardless of whether you choose to accept your feelings (positive or negative),or make changes in your feelings and your reactions, you still increase your self-understanding through reviewing entries in your journal.

You might feel confused at times and be at a loss to explain why you responded in a certain way. You can increase your level of personal insight by reflecting not only about these situations, but also about the feelings you experienced. Note when you see patterns of similar reactions and what triggers them – personal conflict, situational stress, or a perceived slight by a stranger.

Sometimes your feelings are deep-rooted, and could be related to an incident that happened many years ago. Similar situations in present time can trigger those old feelings and reactions. Writing and reflecting on your journal entries may help you remember previous incidents so you can understand your feelings and decide if they benefit you now or if you wish to pursue more positive outcomes in the future.

Try starting a physical (or electronic) journal to begin exploring how you feel and respond to life events – especially those involving your decision to have lap-band surgery. When you do, you'll increase self-understanding, build strength and self-confidence to overcome challenges on your journey to a healthier, fulfilling life.

i am a journeler. the first thing i did after surgery is make up a form that has a format for a food diary , Protein, fat, carbs and calories count on it. it also has a list of my supplements so i can just put a check. but i also put on it a place that i can list my activities for the day as well as a place i can put how i am feeling that day. . was i angry, was i sick etc. so i can look back and see what was happening to me on that day. my doctor loves it. she can see quickly the things i was eating vs. how i was feeling. we were able to spot different triggers for me. i think what you wrote are an excellent idea for all newly banded ppl.

Hi Terry! (waving)

I LOVE the idea of a custom journal with places to check off what you've eaten, your supplements, activities and feelings. I've also been a journaler for a long time...I think it started with those little locked diaries that I recieved as Christmas presents! I still have journals that I kept during my husband's deployments (he's retired Navy), during tough times and good times throughout my life, and during times of change.

I think there are even companies that will let you design your own pages and bind them into a book or looseleaf binder for you - a great way to set things up to match your personality and your preferences.

Congrats on your progress so far with your surgery - keep doing what you are doing, because it seems to be working well for you.

For someone looking to start journaling, check into the Moleskine line of notebooks - very silky smooth paper and a great set of colors for the binding and covers. They come in multiple sizes and are generally available at Staples. I also use my iPad for journaling (though I love notebooks) with the application called Evernote. They even have a function that allows you to take photos of your meals, scan QR codes for calorie counts and recipes (you can also do this with a smartphone), and it can help keep the information current if you don't carry your journal everywhere.

Have a terrific week ahead, everyone!