Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating and drinking time 30 minutes

Can you eat and drink at the same time after 2 and a half years of having gastric sleeve surgery? Is there a time limit? Please advise?

It is never recommended because it neutralizes acids and it helps your food go through your sleeve as it is not dense....So you get limited nutrition if you do that....

How ever that said...I know there are people on here that do both together and after some time going by...I am over a year out and don't do it........I need all the help I can get from my food!!!!

In 5 days I will be 2 and half years out, so ...

Of course you can eat and drink at the same time, but why would I want to? So I can consume more food?

When I was early post op, the thought of never drinking with a meal seemed like an impossible challenge. I loved having a glass of milk with a really spicy Mexican dinner, or back when I did drink, a glass of wine with a big steak dinner was magical.

The first 6 months post op, I basically "learned" how to eat "properly". I learned how to slow down putting my utensil down in between bites. I learned to chew more thoroughly. I learned how to take smaller bites. I also learned that when I do not drink with my meal, I get the feeling of restriction sooner and I stay fuller longer. For me, that was the bottom line. I loved the feeling of being full and if I drank, that feeling would be removed. So, now, 2 and a half years out, I have developed a new habit of not drinking with meals. After all, for me, the only reason I would NEED to drink with my meal would be to abuse food as I did pre-sleeve.

I did that to get morbidly obese and I was ready to move on to a new life with new habits.

I am 8 months out and while there was a period post-surgery where I wished I could eat and drink together the way I used to, it was a bad habit that I have managed to kick.

As PdxMan says, drinking allows you to fit more food in but way more food than we actually need. In the old days, I couldn't eat a meal without a pint of liquid but I didn't understand why. Now that I realise it was how I managed to get more food it, I never want to do it again. But it's just another one of the choices we make along the road, each to their own....

Edited by Indigo1991

I am 8 months out and while there was a period post-surgery where I wished I could eat and drink together the way I used to, it was a bad habit that I have managed to kick.

As PdxMan says, drinking allows you to fit more food in but way more food than we actually need. In the old days, I couldn't eat a meal without a pint of liquid but I didn't understand why. Now that I realise it was how I managed to get more food it, I never want to do it again. But it's just another one of the choices we make along the road, each to their own....

Sorry double post from the technically illiterate!

Edited by Indigo1991

eat and drink at the same time after 2 and a half years of having gastric sleeve surgery?

BeDe1C

its kindof like balancing a book on your head, patting your tummy and chewing gum all at the same time :wacko:

you/me/we COULD do it - but its not adviseable :o

not following those rules is never good :angry:

i might/do sip a "little" Water sometimes - but i try not to

good luck

kathy

Sometimes I sip (and I dooo mean sip) if something is too spicy or if it gets "stuck", but I've found that if it's "stuck" or slow to go down sipping doesn't really help. It's just a habit that I have to break.

I'm working on drinking whatever I'm going to have 20-30 minutes before I eat/while I'm cooking, or I wait until 20-30 minutes AFTER I've eaten. It just doesn't seem natural, but in time I'll get used to it.