Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Discouraged :(

I am 9 months post op. I felt great the first 4-6 months, then all of a sudden a wall!! I know they say that everyone hits that wall eventually but I havn't lost weight in about 3 almost 4 months!! I am starting to get that "Hey look I am failing another diet" feeling!! I am working out 3-4 times a week watching what I am eating, I only drink Water, I need some daily food menu suggestions for all meals of the day, and snacks!! I feel like I can do it but I am asking for help from all you other Bariatric patients!! Please any idea would be greatly appreciated!!

Are you journaling EVERY thing that goes into your mouth? How much Protein are you getting and how high are your carbs. Those are the only two things I tracked. I did keep calories under 1200, usually 800-1000.

Hi Jessie--- So sorry that you are having trouble. I'm only a few weeks out, but I was just remembering that years ago when I was WW I had hit a wall also. My leader suggested adding more fish in lieu of another Protein and it actually helped. You might want to try that.

Hope that works. Also, if your practice has a nutritionist, it might be a good person to reach out too.

I am a little over 6 weeks out. I decided I was going to cook a crockpot meal and start experimenting with recipes, so made a healthy chicken dish. I ate too much, too fast and it was awful. Since my husband was also sleeved, I decided to stick with the basics awhile , and now we have an egg or shake for Breakfast, maybe 1/2 a Protein bar for lunch, and light Soup or refried Beans with Laughing Cow White Cheddar cheese (melted, and yum) for dinner. This is working for us, and I just do not wanted to be tempted with extra foods in the house like there was at Christmas. I know a lot of you have children and families to feed and it must make it so hard. I am getting ready to incorporate some good steamed veggies into our diet. It is just nice not to be cooking and worrying about meals right now.

I am thinking you might want to go back to basics for a week or so and see how you do. Good luck!!!

Jessie, may I ask...what are your measurements? I mean that in a nice way. :D No numbers needed.

Are you getting smaller measurement-wise? Are your clothes getting too big?

The tape tells the story clearer than the scale.

I haven't been sleeved yet but I can see that this issues becomes an issue for most. What I've seen to remedy this is as LindafromFlorida mentioned.....Start back at the beginning....protein shakes should replace a meal or 2 until you see your desired results. Then as Gmanbat mentioned, use the tape measure. It has always been the one on my side as my scale, clearly isn't..lol, no matter how hard I work out or eat right...it only shows in the way my clothing fits, never on the scale...

Good luck and be sure to come back for motivation as much as possible, this is the place!!

I am 9 months post op. I felt great the first 4-6 months, then all of a sudden a wall!! I know they say that everyone hits that wall eventually but I havn't lost weight in about 3 almost 4 months!! I am starting to get that "Hey look I am failing another diet" feeling!! I am working out 3-4 times a week watching what I am eating, I only drink Water, I need some daily food menu suggestions for all meals of the day, and snacks!! I feel like I can do it but I am asking for help from all you other Bariatric patients!! Please any idea would be greatly appreciated!!

Per my WLS Doc the first 6 mths are "primetime." Afterwards it slows down. It's time to change up the exercise and diet routine that your body has grown accustomed too.

Do measure if you haven't already.

I was a very slow loser too... Do you use MFP or something like that to really look at the composition of what your eating? I really need to, or I start to gain. I have had many stalls, non for 3 months*, have you actually lost none in three months, or only a little in three months... ?

* Actually, that is not true, at a year and a half out I gained weight, and it took me around a year to get it all off and get to goal, so really, that was a stall-gain on a grand scale!

Edited by feedyoureye

First thing, banish any thoughts of failure - that's not an option with you having come this far - and any way, none of us will let you head off down that route!

Great suggestions so far. Think back to the first few months and see what, if anything, you are doing differently. We can pick up new bad habits even if we are sleeved...

Change the kind of exercise you are doing, mix it up as our bodies do get used to what we do and get lazy. Protein first, again vary what you eat. My biggest thing is planning my meals and having the right foods at home. Make sure you are actually eating enough, that's as bad as eating too much. Likewise, check your Fluid intake as that can slow weight loss if it is too low.

Finally get a ticker and own where you are. I hated mine at first (and it doesn't even start at the point I was at my heaviest) but there's a sense of achievement if you can see where you are going. Not easy but worth it.

That's my tuppenceworth - but please don't let your inner critic wreck all the good work you've done and have yet to do. This too will pass and you will be back losing weight before you know it - I promise, just have faith in yourself and your sleeve!

I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm grateful you posted. I am feeling such shame - embarrassed about how my old habits are right back and it's like I never had surgery at all. I'm reading the responses and looking forward to hearing some good stuff as well. Thanks!