Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interesting Observation

This weight loss thing we are all going through is full of observations and insights and I noticed something on New Year's Eve. I went out to dinner with my sister and a friend. I ordered the steak and my sister ordered the fish. I was surprised she ordered the fish...it's not her go-to food. But then again, red meat is not what I eat much either but heck, it was New Year's Eve so I decided to go for it. So...I cut off about 3 ounces of meat from my portion...it was probably about 10 ounces in size but I can eyeball portions pretty well at this point.

I finished the piece I cut away and enjoyed it thoroughly. My sister finished her fish and asked me if she could take some of my steak. I said she was welcome to it and after we were finished with dinner, she said that she wanted 'surf and turf' as her meal and knew that since I ordered the steak, she would order the fish and have both knowing I would leave over plenty.

I thought afterwards that this is what I'm looking for. I want folks who know me, to know that I'll always leave food over. I want this to be my new normal because as long as I leave food over, I am in control of what goes into my belly. For me...this control is so powerful and feels so much better than the fleeting pleasure of overeating.

Can you tell that I'm in therapy now to help with all these changes to my body and we're discussing my need to feel in control...lol! I'm seeing alot of posts about body issues and I'm right there with you...my head is not where my body is. I still feel like the biggest one in the room, and the fat girl is still front and center. I'm hoping with time and help from the therapist, I can see what others see now...a normal sized person who will always be a normal sized person.

I love this -- what we want to be known as and what we know ourselves as....

I love dining with her:

She's such a dairy eater!

She knows how to take her time and make it a real event.

She makes the best choices.

She's a great conversationalist.

Poise, dignity, grace! Most people wolf their food down, but not her.

*dainty eater, not dairy eater. That's me before....cheese-a-holic.

And one from my family:

I love to eat with her because she let's us have most of her food.

You did well. This truly what its all about making small changes at a time. Getting in tune with your body and your needs not the needs of others.

My best friend and I share meals now when we go out for meals. She's been working on Portion Control as well. So we just order a meal that is enough for both of us, ask for an extra empty plate...and tip the waitress very well since our bill is now cut in half :)